Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2001 11:03:02 AM EDT
Can I send a stripped ar lower to an FFL dealer in another state by U.S. postal (priority).  Do I have to do anything special besides insurance and delivery conformation?
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#1]
You can send firearms other than handguns through the US mail.  This includes complete long guns (shotguns or rifles) in addition to stripped receivers or frames.  You can send it Priority or parcel post.

It must be declared to the postal worker as an unloaded firearm when you ship it.  There should be no marks on the packaging to indicate that it contains a firearm.

Insurance and delivery confirmation are good ideas, but not required by postal regulations.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 12:07:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Notification is not required as long as you are sending to a licensed dealer.  It is only required if you are sending to a non-licensee. (40CFR178.31(a))
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 11:27:05 AM EDT
[#3]
How can a handgun be shipped?  One of my co-workers was wondering how to get a pistol shipped to his dad.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Handguns can be shipped FedEx, UPS, etc. You have to declare it's a handgun and many shippers are now requiring next day service. Generally handguns cannot be shipped via USPS. I would call the shipper to see what requirements are for that shipper. BTW, don't let them label it as containing a firearm.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Handguns can be shipped FedEx, UPS, etc. You have to declare it's a handgun and many shippers are now requiring next day service. Generally handguns cannot be shipped via USPS. I would call the shipper to see what requirements are for that shipper. BTW, don't let them label it as containing a firearm.
View Quote

the only way for a handgun to g othru USPS is FFL to FFL
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top