Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2001 12:23:40 PM EDT
OK.  Say a guy has a preban AR15.  And he doesn't want to shoot the upper too much since it is original and has higher value than a newer upper.

Can you purchase a "new" preban upper (Bushmaster sells them) for this preban rifle and interchange them?  I  am pretty sure the  answer is yes.

Where I get queasy with the law is, what if this guy also has multiple POSTban AR15s?  Assuming none of the preban uppers are ever installed on a postban lower, are you still in compliance with the law?

This stuff is silly.  I'm sitting here worrying if I can have preban uppers share safe space with postban RIFLES.  But, if said person only had 1 preban lower, and 2-3 preban uppers, and multiple postban lowers (complete rifles), ???

I hope you see where I am going with this.  Can they "assume" I might have bought these uppers for the illicit purpose of assembling a new preban?

Thanks

James
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#1]
1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

You can't posess AR15 SF/FA firecontrol parts or a DIAS and a non NFA AR15 registered receiver.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#2]
rkbar: You can possess both semi-auto guns and machine guns, which includes parts for machineguns.  What's frowned on is possession of "extra" machinegun parts, beyond those required to make your machineguns functional, and possession of semi-auto guns into which those parts could be fitted.

ATF has actually given their blessing to the possession of a full auto gun and extra spare parts, along with semi-auto "large pin" Colt receivers or rifles, since the spare full auto parts won't fit into a "large pin" colt lower.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought that's what I said. Did the DIAS make it confusing versus a RDIAS? In any case you are correct if I didn't make it clear in my short and skinny version.

Did you know you can move an RDIAS from one rifle to another with just a notice to the ATF. Ah, someday when I escape from NY.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#4]
No, you weren't clear.  It is OK to possess full auto parts and semi-auto rifles, as long as you don't have any EXTRA full parts, beyond those used in your full auto guns.

It's perfectly legal to a full set of parts for your DIAS, along with the DIAS, and one or a hundred semi auto rifles.

As for moving, yes, lightning links can move too.  And you don't have to notify the ATF when moving it, if the change isn't permanent (e.g. putting it in another rifle for a day at the range, intending to move it back to the 'married' receiver afterwards.)  In the case of a DIAS, ATF wants the full auto fire control parts to move when the DIAS does.

Link Posted: 9/2/2001 2:07:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the same question that started this thread. I think those that responded thought the question refered to full auto guns, but I believe he only spoke of pre & postban SA firearms. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 5:49:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Right, the answer to the original question is you can keep extra pre-ban uppers so long as they are separate and apart from your post-ban lowers.  The case that comes to mind (I have the site if you want it) is where an sbr part to a shotgun was in a chest of drawers where a non-sbr shotgun was also located, in a different drawer.  That was a violation of the law.  My advice is that you keep the spare upper in a different room, locked away.

And yes, this IS silly.  Until it's reversed, I would just bite the bullet and obey the law.  Just MHO.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top