Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 9:40:50 AM EDT
Hi folks,

I'm in Texas.  Took pictures of my new AR-15 pistol before ordering a stock for it.  (Yes, the bbl is 16")  I'm wanting to get the picture notarized.  My mother is a notary, and was going to ask one of her fellow notaries to do so, but since it's just a picture, she's not sure how it would be done.  Is there some sort of legal language that has to be on the paper w/ the picture in order for it to be notarized?  Any links or advice would be appreciated.

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:04:23 PM EDT
[#1]
What purpose are you planning on using the picture for?
A notary verifies that the signer of a document is who they claim to be.  That is about the sole purpose.  How can they notarize a picture?  That it is really a gun?  Your gun?
That sounds more like an affidavit.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#2]
brickeyee,

The purpose is to have a date associated w/ my AR-15 receiver in pistol configuration before I have a dated receipt & cancelled check for a buttstock, so that 20 years from now, I can turn my pistol that is then a rifle back into a pistol.

Thanks for the response.  Does that answer your question?

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:08:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Take a picture with a daily paper prominently showing the date.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:12:09 PM EDT
[#4]
brickeyee,

Yes, but that only establishes that the picture was taken after a certain date, rather than before a certain date.  Whereas a notary's stamp is logged on a particular date, thus establishing that the picture of the pistol existed before the date of the buttstock order.

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:28:29 AM EDT
[#5]
It would show that on the date of the paper the condition of the weapon.
While it could be argued you could have saved a paper and taken the picture later, it would be up to someone to prove that.

Depending on state law there may be nothing a notary can do.
There purpose is to verify identity and signetures, nothing more.
At best you could sign the picture before the notary and have it then sealed.
If you are not otherwise violating the law BATFE is not going to be very interested.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:13:30 AM EDT
[#6]
brickeye,

Thanks for the help.  The standard advice I got was "Have the picture notarized."  Obviously no one giving that advice has done it, lol.

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#7]
The fairly typical method of documenting an item to a date in time would be to wrap the item in an acid free paper and/or some other archival medium for long term storeage, seal that item, i.e. picture, in an envelope and mail it to yourself via certified / registered U.S.Mail.

You don't actually have to have the Post Office send it since it is being mailed by you to you, they ( the PO ) will take the sealed envelope, date stamp it, you will pay whatever postal charges there are and then they will "deliver" it to you by handing it back.

Don't open the envelope.  write on the outside ( somewhere that does not disturb the registration and stampings) what it contains and put it in your strong box or safety deposit box.  If, in the future, this becomes a problem, get yourself an attorney and give him the sealed UNOPENED envelope with the date stamps INTACT so that he can establish the chain of custody and he will open the envelope if necessary.  Until you need it, keep the picture secured away.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:33:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought once you make a firearm into a rifle, you can't legally tutn it back into a pistol.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I forgot to mention....  If you are going to store a photograph for this purpose and for the length of time you mentioned, get a high quality, black and white photograph printed on high quality photo paper.  A digital photo printed on your Epson won't work here.  I would not trust most drug store or supermarket photo systems.  This needs to be professional quality work.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:41:36 PM EDT
[#10]
OLY,

ARF Pistol FAQ

Pistol to Rifle & back again

Think about what T/C Contender owners do.  Do they throw away all their $200 12" bbls when they get one 16" & a shoulder stock?

The BATFE wants you to think that, but they lost in the Supreme Court in 1992 to - our friends, Thomson Center.

TnRedneck,

Thanks for the advice.

Gig 'em,

backbencher
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top