Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2001 5:15:17 AM EDT
I am fairly new to AR's. How do I identify a pre-ban reciever? For instance, if I am at a gun show and someone is trying to sell me a a rifle assembled with a bushmaster reciever as a pre-ban rifle how do I identify that is in fact a preban rifle and not actually a post ban reciever with pre-ban upper...

I guess what I am getting at... could someone basically take a post ban reciever and build it as a pre-ban rifle and then pass it off on someone like me who probally wouldn't know the difference? How do make sure this does not happen.

Thanks Robert
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 6:35:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I guess what I am getting at... could someone basically take a post ban reciever and build it as a pre-ban rifle and then pass it off on someone like me who probally wouldn't know the difference? How do make sure this does not happen.
View Quote

Sadly, this probably happens every day.  The starting point is knowing the serial number ranges.  If the receiver wasn't made before the ban, it cannot be a grandfathered pre-ban no matter what the seller tells you.

If the receiver was made before the ban, you may want some sort of proof that it's grandfathered.  

ATF suggests that dealers get a signed statement from the owner of the rifle on or before 9/13/94 that the weapon was assembled or set aside with all parts necessary to make it a complete rifle.  

No such guideline is given for private buyers, and strictly speaking you don't HAVE to have any proof.  I think a letter like the one recommended for an FFL is a good idea, though, in case you ever wind up in court having to prove the defense that your other-wise illegal rifle is a legal grandfathered pre-ban.
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 7:22:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 9:28:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/10/2001 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Where does ATF make this "suggestion?"
View Quote

In their "FAQ"....

From the ATF Firearms Q&A
(O17) What evidence is sufficient for Federal firearms licensees to be sure
that particular semiautomatic assault weapons are "grandfathered" weapons
which are not subject to the restrictions on possession and transfer?
The requirement that semiautomatic assault weapons be marked "RESTRICTED
LAW ENFORCEMENT/GOVERNMENT USE ONLY" was not effective until July 5, 1995.
Thus, semiautomatic assault weapons manufactured from September 13, 1994-July
4, 1995, may not be marked with the restrictive markings. Additionally,
sporting weapons may have been modified after September 13, 1994, so that they
are semiautomatic assault weapons, e.g., a pistol grip and magazine extension
are installed on a sporting shotgun.
(The important part)
Licensees obtaining semiautomatic
assault weapons which do not have the restrictive marking should obtain from
the seller an invoice, bill of sale, or other documentation indicating that
the weapon in its present configuration was lawfully possessed on or before
September 13, 1994.
View Quote

[27 CFR 178.92(a)(2)]
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/11/2001 8:21:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top