Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/11/2004 5:25:54 PM EDT
a rifle I own legally own in one state and ship it to myself in another state (where the rifle is also legal) without going through an FFL?
Link Posted: 12/11/2004 6:43:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep.  You're not transfering ownership.
Link Posted: 12/12/2004 12:05:37 AM EDT
[#2]
What about ship/transfer ownsership intrastate?
Link Posted: 12/13/2004 5:43:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yep.  You're not transfering ownership.

Ownership has nothing to do with it. Possession is what counts.  As long as the shipper is the person to receive final possession of the package before it is opened,  BATF does not consider possession to have changed.

Quoted:
What about ship/transfer ownsership intrastate?

Unless state laws says otherwise, intrastate transfers between unlicensed individuals is legal.  You may have trouble convincing some shippers however.
Link Posted: 12/14/2004 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Does this apply to handguns too?
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 5:07:05 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Does this apply to handguns too?

Yes, it does.
Link Posted: 12/15/2004 10:38:39 AM EDT
[#6]
The regulations require that you are required to be the shipper when shipping firearms interstate to yourself.  You cannot have a third party ship it to you.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:55:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Do you have to be on hand to receive firearms shipped to yourself, or can it wait at the ship to address for you to pick it up.  What I am thinking is shipping it to myself "care of" a friend in another state, but addressed to me. Is that legal?
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:53:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Do you have to be on hand to receive firearms shipped to yourself, or can it wait at the ship to address for you to pick it up.  What I am thinking is shipping it to myself "care of" a friend in another state, but addressed to me. Is that legal?

Yes, it is, but you must be the one to open the package.  Also, since you will be shipping to a nonlicensee, you must notify the shipper that the package contains a firearm.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#9]
www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b8

ATF www page...

(B10) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#10]
why must u tell the shipping company whats in the package? I bet u money that they will not let u ship it if u tell them whats going on.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 12:56:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
why must u tell the shipping company whats in the package? I bet u money that they will not let u ship it if u tell them whats going on.

Federal law requires that you notify the shipper when you are shipping a firearm to a non-licensee.  You should also ship it adult signature required.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Federal law requires that you notify the shipper when you are shipping a firearm to a non-licensee.  You should also ship it adult signature required.

probly a no brainer but should be mention is also insure the package as well.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top