Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2001 7:02:14 PM EDT
Would it be legal in CA to buy parts and make your own M4? It's probably NOT in CA, so where is the closest I can? thanks.
~Harry
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 12:47:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you already own a reciever? If so than you can build it into an M4 as long as it meets all the other laws such as the federal post ban crap. If you don't already have a receiver then there is no legal way to get one now in ca.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 7:49:11 PM EDT
[#4]
No, I don't have a reciever. I was thinking about having a friend from another state recieve the parts in mail and build it, then send it to me. would that work? I really miss firing the M4. I might move in a few years but that seems too long too wait. There must be SOME way to beat that law. If I went to Mexico and bought the parts and got it there and came back to the U.S. would it be legal?
~Harry
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#5]
First off, are you talking about a real M4 (select fire) or a semiauto M4 clone?
For the real full auto thing, you're going to have toget the hell out of CA, and be ready to shell out something in the area of $5k for a transferable (civilian legal) full auto M4 clone (on a non Colt receiver).

If you want a semi, you're probably still going to have to get the hell out of CA.  Troy is the expert on California law though (among other things), so listen to him; he knows his stuff.

I was thinking about having a friend from another state recieve the parts in mail and build it, then send it to me. would that work?
View Quote

Work for what?  Getting a felony or two on your record?  Maybe.  (#1. straw purchase, #2.interstate transfer of a firearm between unlicensed individuals)

If I went to Mexico and bought the parts and got it there and came back to the U.S. would it be legal?
View Quote

I don't even know if you'd be able to get parts in Mexico - I don't know what the firearms laws are like there.  I do know however, that bringing a firearm (I believe the term of art with regard to importing is an "implement of war") across international borders without the proper import permits is a felony.  Will trigger a very serious sh*tstorm if you get caught.

There must be SOME way to beat that law.
View Quote

Yup. Get the hell out of CA.  I don't mean to be harsh, but if there was an easy way to legally circumvent the law, tens of thousands of Californians would have already done it.  The only easy way is to leave.

Link Posted: 6/11/2001 10:42:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top