Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2004 4:17:46 PM EDT
I'm planning on taking a nice big transcontinental trip across the states next spring/summer.    I'm planning on spending a few nights camping in my car and I wouldn't think of not being prepared if someone tried anything stupid.

I know you can't have a loaded firearm in a vehicle.  Or am I wrong about that one?

my first choice would of course be a an AR15 (preban config), where wouldn't that be legal?

second choice would be Mossberg Persauder....is that illegal anywhere?

If you have an unloaded handgun in your car is that considerd having a concealed weapon?

thx a bunch fellas, if you would....can you post links where I can confirm your info
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:38:36 AM EDT
[#1]

I know you can't have a loaded firearm in a vehicle. Or am I wrong about that one?

Depends on the state.

Most states, under state law, allow an unloaded firearm secured in the trunk, but states have variations as to what is "secured." There is also a difference between traveling "through" a state without stopping and camping in your car, which in itself may have local laws affecting your ability.

There is also the Safe Passage Act, a federal law re: moving interstate with firearms, and much info on that is found here,DRIVING INTERSTATE WITH FIREARMS? and by googling the act.
The law is located here: 18 USC §926A

Federal law should trump state law (federal preemption doctrine; see also § 927. Effect on State law, linked thru §926A above) but I still say its better to not have to argue that point at 3 a.m. Saturday morning with the county deputy during a traffic stop, for you may well be arguing it before the judge next Monday morning after someone stole your shoes.

Try looking around here as well for answers to state-by-state questions: www.packing.org

Also, the NRA has individual states' weapon laws, so you can check the laws of states on your route.  (More for the legal defensive aspects instead of the transportation of firearms)

The pump shotgun seems to be the most "innoculous"(politically) of a selection including semi-auto firearms and handguns.  I'm not sure about the pistol grip mature of the pursuader, but the state law listings, above, should help you answert that.

Have a good trip,
Cheers, Otto
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:15:36 PM EDT
[#2]
If you camp in National Forests you are allowed to be armed while camping. It's considered a home away from home. National Parks is a No-No AFAIK. State parks have their own rules.

As far as firearms go you want a handgun as your first "go to." If you are sleeping in your car / tent a long gun will be unwieldy but still have one in case you have to get out of your car / tent then the long gun would become the primary.

Be extremely careful, I have had Park Rangers and Hosts knock on my window. Could get ugly real quick if you brandish a firearm.

Packing.org is an excellent place to start
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:31:11 PM EDT
[#3]
You can possess firearms in national forests, I hunt in them a lot, but in a National Park it must be cased.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top