Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2004 5:16:39 AM EDT
From the most recent issue of The New Gun Week:

Firearms industry leaders met with ATF July 19-20 at the third annual "ATF & The Imports Community" conference in Alexandria VA.

The Gun Week continues:
"The likey consequences for the industry from the sunsetting of the 1994 ban on so-called assault weapons and large-capacity magazine were detailed by Teresa Ficaretta, ATF associate chief counsel for explosives, firearms, and arson.  If the law sunsets on Sept. 13, ATF would most likely issue an open letter to the industry advising that the restrictions on post-ban over-10-round law-enforcement magazines as well as those for receivers of those firearms presently designated under federal law as 'assault weapons' would 'become meaningless,' Ficaretta said.  The result would be that such magazines 'could be freely sold.'"

So, there it is, in much more plain speak.  Barring some (highly unlikely) court intervention, it looks like LEO-marked mags will be fair game for all next week.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:36:16 PM EDT
[#1]
i think they are saying that NEW hi cap mags and Pre-ban Recievers would be legal to be made for civilians and sold to them ..........  I DONT read it as the ATF saying that mags MARKED AS "LEO ONLY" would be legal for civilian sale and possession.

i think a more specific seperate letter to the ATF asking for clarification on LEO ONLY marked mags would be needed, before anyone buys or sells them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 5:28:33 AM EDT
[#2]
What about Imported LEO Mags  like for the HK ETC?
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 8:03:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#4]
State laws will still be in effect for state like California.  Manufacturers might keep the LEO writing on the mags until they come up with something else.  My guess would be the year of manufacture.  I'm sure gun manufatcurers will do something so that California won't hassle them.   If they go back to making mags they way they used to, then they are setting themselves up for the typical California law suits.   Markings or not, it's still illegal to have sent to CA.  I don't know if the state enforces anything to do with it though.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 11:08:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, the ban has expired!!!

Concerning lowers and mags marked LEO only, the following is copied from the Q & A on the ATF website.

Q: Are SAWs and LCAFDs marked “Restricted law enforcement/government use only” or
“For export only” legal to sell to civilians in the United States?

A: Yes. SAWs and LCAFDs are no longer prohibited. Therefore firearms with the restrictive
markings are legal to transfer to civilians in the United States and it will be legal for nonprohibited
civilians to possess them. All civilians may possess LCAFDs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top