Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2004 2:33:31 PM EDT
Hi all - I have a specific question regarding the AWB sunset that I have not seen fully answered here yet.

After the sunset, will it be legal for a private citizen to purchase a Colt 6920, which is their Law Enforcemnet M4 style carbine.  This is a semi-auto rifle of 16", and its only distinctions are that it is marked LEO-Only, and contains the normal pre-ban features (A2 birdcage, collapsable stock, bayo lug).

Anyone with specific knowledge of this issue here?  Please no speculation :-)

Thanks,

- Snacko
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:06:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Bump
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:19:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:29:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
SteyrAug is an arms dealer.  He said, according to the wording of the law, it will be legal to sell those weapons to John Q. Public.  He also stated that he doesn't want to be the first to test the waters.  He added, "Good luck trying to get an answer from the ATF."

This is the feeling that I am picking up as well.  My guess a company like Bushmaster or maybe one of the other non-ABC companies may be the first to test the waters with new products, but regardless they will be slow to come out when they do.  Many sellers may be reluctant too to sell existing products (like the Colt 6920) to JQP, but you might find a good one in Texas or other such gun-loving state to make such a sale.  I don't think it is going to be the flood of post-post-ban (tm) activity that people are hoping it will be.

- Snacko
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:11:31 AM EDT
[#4]
FYI:

http://mikecaswell.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=2928&page=1
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:31:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:04:11 AM EDT
[#6]
  I was pondering that exact question so I called a few dealers and firearms distributors, none of them, have an answer to date.  I can tell you that the distributors that stock the 6920 have been getting large orders from dealers should the ban be dropped and these guns become available for the public.  
  The current price of that gun is approximately $855.00 and it is speculated that the price will shoot up over 1 thousand should they be available to the public.  The smart dealers are getting ready to buy up all the guns that are available, I think the distributors may start sitting on these guns as well waiting for the price to jump.  If everyone plays their cards right and doesn't jump at the initial prices the guns should come down in price as dealers/officers offer more product than there are buyers.  These guns were only in the mid 6's for LEO in the late 90's then after several price increases jumped to their current level.  There are alot of LEO guns out there with most of them purchased in that 600.00 to 700.00 range, if they do become available most of the guys would be happy selling a used gun at a modest profit.   Stay patient!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:26:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
  I was pondering that exact question so I called a few dealers and firearms distributors, none of them, have an answer to date.  I can tell you that the distributors that stock the 6920 have been getting large orders from dealers should the ban be dropped and these guns become available for the public.  
  The current price of that gun is approximately $855.00 and it is speculated that the price will shoot up over 1 thousand should they be available to the public.  The smart dealers are getting ready to buy up all the guns that are available, I think the distributors may start sitting on these guns as well waiting for the price to jump.  If everyone plays their cards right and doesn't jump at the initial prices the guns should come down in price as dealers/officers offer more product than there are buyers.  These guns were only in the mid 6's for LEO in the late 90's then after several price increases jumped to their current level.  There are alot of LEO guns out there with most of them purchased in that 600.00 to 700.00 range, if they do become available most of the guys would be happy selling a used gun at a modest profit.   Stay patient!

Several things I'm picking up from your post.  First, I think it highly unlikely that people will be patient, and there most assuridly will be spike on the number of post-post-ban (tm) configured guns after the AWB sensets.  This is human nature.  As to whether or not the volume will be heavy, and there will be a concurrent price hike, I don't know.  It's possible this may happen.  For the moment, the 6920 seems to be steady in the $900 range, and it would be great if it stays there.

The second thing I am picking up from your post is that if the info on distributors and dealers is true, then there certainly will be a willingness to sell these guns, even w/o full clarification from the ATF.  I can understand the confusion on the issue.  And I really do not think that the ATF is incented right now to be proactive wth the communication as to what will happen post-post-ban.  In fact, there are probably many in the govt that would be happy to allows some confusion and disinformation to continue to circulated, as this may stem the flow of these guns.  

But after a while, the word will get out.  Manufacturerers, distributors, and dealers will be comfortable in selling these guns, and the market will free up again.  My guess is that this will be sometime next spring/summer.  I just hope that no new legislation come up between now and then.

- Snacko
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:09:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Alright,  LEO lowers are legal now.  I need a Mod to tack this letter I received from the ATF.  After the ban sunsets, the "evil" features are no longer "evil," so they are legal!

Link Posted: 9/8/2004 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#9]

We have made LEO only firearms and after the ban expires, we will consider them to no longer be LEO only.  The SAWB is what made the "exception" and once it is gone, it is no longer in effect.

mark
[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 1:02:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Post - AWB, the only issue will be whether the FET has been paid, as some gov't entities are exempt.
However, any LEO-marked gun you find on the rack at a store will most likely have had the tax paid.

As a practical matter, it's probably not something to worry about, as the FFL is supposed to pay the FET when the gun is made.

Of course, there are FFLs and there are FFLs. For a lot of detailed info, see the thread

"Question about Federal Excise Tax"

here in  in the Legal Forum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top