Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2004 11:26:37 AM EDT
new policy we got.. it says if you refuse they will fire you...
im in Ohio.

XXX prohibits all persons who enter XXX property from carrying a handgun, firearm, or prohibited weapon of any kind onto the property regardless of whether the person is licensed to carry the weapon or not. This policy applies to all XXX employee, contract and temporary employees, visitors on XXX property and customers.  The only exception to this policy will be law enforcement officers, security guards or other person who have been given consent by XXX to carry a weapon on the property.
All XXX employees are also prohibited from carrying a weapon while in the course and scope of performing their job for the company, whether they are on Company property or not and whether they are licensed to carry a handgun or not. The only exception to this policy will be persons who have been given consent by XXX to carry a weapon while performing specific task on XXX’s behalf.  This policy also prohibits weapons at any Company sponsored events.

Prohibited weapons include any form of weapon or explosive restricted under local, state or federal regulations.  This includes all firearms, knives or other weapons and instruments to include those covered by the law.  

XXX’s property covered by this policy includes, without limitations, all XXX owned or leased buildings and surrounding areas such as sidewalks, walkways, driveways and parking lots under XXX ownership or control.  Company vehicles are covered by this policy at all times regardless of whether they are on XXX property at the time.

XXX reserves the right to conduct searches of any person, vehicle or object that enter on to Company property.  Pursuant to this provision, XXX is authorized to search desks, briefcase, purses, bags, vehicles parked on XXX property and any other item in which a weapon may be hidden. XXX reserves the right to conduct searches on its property or authorize searched by law enforcement on its property with or without the employee being present. To the extent, XXX Management requests the search and the employee is present, the employee may refuse the search; provided, however, that such a refusal can result in termination of employment for refusal to cooperate.  
Failure to abide and comply with all terms and conditions of the policies described above will be subject to disciplinary action, up to an including terminations.  Further, carrying a weapon onto XXX property in violation of this policy will be grounds for immediate removal from the Company property and may result in prosecution.
All matters relating to any of the above categories should be reported immediately to your site security manager or  XXX Corporate Security and the People Services  or Human Resources Department.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:28:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I hate shit like this. You should be able to sue them for withholding your right to protect yourself on your way to work.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:29:03 AM EDT
[#2]
My company has the same policy, I dont know if it is legal or not.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 11:37:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Happened to me last year.  I had to move my vehicle 20 feet to get off of their property, unfortunately, onto a busy truck route.  The company is pissed and senior mgmt. has confided that it makes them uneasy, but there is nothing they can do about it.  They have stated that they think it is in poor taste for me to be so blatant as I am the only employee that parks off of company property.  The bottom line: I can keep what I want in my vehicle and it galls them.  I decided that my peace of mind was more important than risk to my vehicle.

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:17:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Why is it I have seen so much "fear" in Ohio since you guys passed your CCW laws?  The Cleveland Plain Dealer printing everyone in one county who has a CCW permit; Kroger taking a shit fit regarding posting signs saying "NO CONCEALED WEAPONS", just about every company, business, mall, factory posting similar signs.

I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the debates going on inside the state.  I worked in Toledo for three months this year and didn't hear that much about it other than the Toledo COP saying that he was concerned citizens with their CCW weapons may leave them in the car when they are going to a business that doesn't allow CCW.  

Srry to hijack thread.  Back on topic.  The biggest reason I know of for companies taking these types of actions is because of.....trial lawyers.  That's right, its all legal BS.  Our insurance company asked what our weapons policy was onsite.  I said we didn't have one.  They almost fell out of their chair and had one of their canned policies faxed over to me immediately.  The CEO of my company keeps shotguns in his office and has shotgun shells delivered here, I don't think he's going to buy into it.

But when we do our construction end and we are in the field we have to basically comply with whatever our client's rules are.  If they say no concealed carry then it applies to us too.  I just tell everyone when they get hired to keep their stuff in their car.  Usually one of the first questions I ask the client is "do you have a policy regarding weapons and vehicle/lunchbox searches?"  Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 4:23:13 AM EDT
[#5]
when will the 2nd Amend be taken for what it is? (RKBA)
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Oklahoma just passed a new law to stop such stupidity. One of our soytheastern industries fired several workers over having weapons in their personal vehicles. The State Rep for that area said enough and pushed through the new law.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#7]
You're going to have to ask someone, legal knowledge, if that is true. You do give up lots of rights to your employer but to search your car without cause seems iffy. That is if you park on an open lot & walk through gates, now if you actually park in a garage or by buildings past a security point they probably can
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 4:16:07 AM EDT
[#8]
My company here in PA has a similar policy, too.  But everyone ignores it and it isn't enforced.  Tough to enforce when even some of your executives ignore it.  Plus, we are a public utility with a nuclear plant where our security MUST be armed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top