Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2004 5:46:33 PM EDT
i will be moveing from the suburbs to milwaukee(near the UWM campus) within a week.
what i would like to know is if there are anny special rules or ordinances in milwaukee county or cities in general that i should know about fire arm wise...?i know how overly liberl the city is so i will be keeping my weapons verry well hiden and/or in my vault.
I have looked @ the wisconsin statutes, but i cant find ones for milwaukee county in pareticular.
anny info or advice would be greatly appreciated, either way, im going to go down tot he local PD to have a chat with some oficers to make sure im in accordance with the law.
thanks  
Link Posted: 8/17/2004 2:45:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Shouldnt be. I remember the WI state legislature say that cities can make their own firearm laws more strict than state laws. F-ed up Madisons 10" handgun law and the complete handgun ban milwaukee wanted years ago.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:54:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you staying on college campus, alot of colleges have rules about possesion, OK if you live off-campus
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
i will be moveing from the suburbs to milwaukee(near the UWM campus) within a week.
what i would like to know is if there are anny special rules or ordinances in milwaukee county or cities in general that i should know about fire arm wise...?i know how overly liberl the city is so i will be keeping my weapons verry well hiden and/or in my vault.
I have looked @ the wisconsin statutes, but i cant find ones for milwaukee county in pareticular.
anny info or advice would be greatly appreciated, either way, im going to go down tot he local PD to have a chat with some oficers to make sure im in accordance with the law.
thanks  

First, WI is has a preemption law, so loacalities cannot make gun laws stricter than the states.

Basically here's what you need to know, btw, I was a cop in WI for 3 years...

#1 DON'T CARRY IT CONCEALED!!! no way, no how.  You will get busted.
#2 DON'T GO TO THE POLICE TO ASK GUN QUESTIONS!!! In MKE, this will get you branded as "one of those guys" buy the police in your area, nothing on paper, but if you ever have a problem later on, someone may remember you as "the guy who wanted to carry concealed on UW-M campus"
#3 WI is an OPEN CARRY state.  You can carry anywhere you want in the open, execpt on UW-M campus.  Don't try it.  Please, don't even think about it.  You will go to jail for Disorderly Conduct cuz someone WILL call the police.
#4 If you have some kind of gun safe, cool.  It's always good to lock your stuff up.  Milwaukee does have lots of break ins.

IF YOU REMEMBER NOTHING ELSE, REMEMBER THIS: WI does not afford you the luxury of free self defense.  You must be able to prove in a court of law that you had no where to run to, no way to hide from  the threat, and you either had to shoot the bad guy or get killed.

It's bullshit, I know, that's why my DL now says "STATE OF TEXAS" on it

Hope this helps.  Any other questions, TALK TO AN ATTORNEY even if it costs you $50.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:29:45 AM EDT
[#4]
And on teh open carry. Its best not to do that anyways since you'll get a disorderly in most towns anyways.

BTW NW, where were you a cop in WI? Delavan? What years? Only time I had contact with a cop there on business is when I dropped my FZR600 on highway 50 by the bowling alleys.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:57:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Mil is NOT gun freindly. Move up here to central WI, you will be happier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top