Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2019 9:40:40 AM EDT
My wife hasn’t worked in three years.

At one time, she was an AVP at a wholesale mortgage company, making six figures. Most recently she was a senior loan officer for a top residential mortgage company in north Texas.

Migraines, neck and back issues, COPD, knee replacement, etc. Any stress (forget mortgage loan originating) will flare up a migraine.

I think she should apply for SSDI. While I am not a fan on welfare or gov handouts, she paid into SS more than most, and that is what SSDI is there for. Plus, with the loss of her income, the family budget could use the money.

Everything I read says first applications are almost always denied, so then you get a lawyer and try again.

I’m sure there are a lot of scammers and such out there but it seems ridiculous that she should have to hire an attorney to receive the benefits to which she is entitled.

Does anyone here have experience with SSDI and/or recommendations?

On a separate but related topic, assuming she starts receiving SSDI now (she’s 57), how will that effect SS eligibility when she’s retirement age?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#1]
You will find the system to be extremely adversarial? Check out lawyers who specializes in the hoop jumping.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:10:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 11:16:03 AM EDT
[#3]
been through this, get a lawyer that specialized in ssdi
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 2:59:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I applied.
Was denied.
28 years of MS at the time.

I then filed a 'notice of reconsideration' AND hired Greenberg and Bederman
who reviewed the notice of reconsideration before I filed it.

They made a few minor changes for me but left almost all of it the same.

It was finally granted and made retroactive for 13 months.

The attorneys pulled their $6,000 from the check and sent me $28,000.

The disability attorneys take the cases 'at risk' based on interviewing you and looking over you medical data.

They can ONLY collect $6,000 and it comes out of your SSDI payments.
No payments, no money for them.

I had maxed out SS donations for many many years.
The benefit is based on your lifetime SS payments and level of disability.

Keep in mind that the standard is 'not able to hold ANY job.'
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#5]
100% she is going to get denied the first time. Hire the SSDI lawyers.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 3:55:05 PM EDT
[#6]
She needs 40 quarters of work in the 10 years before filing, so don't let her go 5 calendar years without work credits before applying.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You will find the system to be extremely adversarial? Check out lawyers who specializes in the hoop jumping.
View Quote
Expect to be rejected the first time, get lawyer or service to help you to get approved.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 4:04:34 PM EDT
[#8]
My father was out of his mind from dementia and was denied the first time. A lawyer is basically a requirement. Go ahead and get one now, because they are going to charge you that 6k either way it goes. You might as well let them help from the start. And not go through the headache of the first several steps without help.
Link Posted: 5/21/2019 5:14:20 PM EDT
[#9]
You need SSDI attorney. Preferably one who is liked and respected. NOW!
Link Posted: 5/24/2019 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You need SSDI attorney. Preferably one who is liked and respected. NOW!
View Quote
I would recommend Greenberg & Bederman if you are around Washington, DC.
They might even have a suggestion for a Texas attorney.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top