Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2002 8:43:46 PM EDT
Say I got a 80% 1911 I completed it myself, but I am in a financial pinch, is it okay to sell for that purpose only? you know not as a business and stuff... or is the only one who can sell guns made by themselves are class 7 FFL's? can someone clarify this?
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 8:59:45 PM EDT
[#1]
While it may draw unwanted attention...it is perfectly legal to sell a home-finished receiver as logn as you are not doing it as a business for profit...

Technically, there are no more legal requirements for finishing a receiver than there are for assembling a kit on a finished receiver...Both are considered Manufacturing/Making by the ATF.
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#2]
if the reciever is still only 80 percent, you may sell it, but if it is done you can never sell it
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 7:43:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, you can sell it as long as you comply with your state and local laws.  (Which shouldn't present much of a problem in Texas.)

Don't sell it to anyone that you know to be a convicted felon, illegal drug user, or crazy.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 8:25:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I love how the ATF makes people think stuff that is perfectly legal is illegal.

As I said...there are no more restrictions on selling a gun built with an 80% Receiver than there are on selling a gun built with a 100% Receiver and a Parts Kit. ATF considers both to be manufacturing and subject to the same laws and restrictions regarding selling as a business for profit.

Quoted:
if the reciever is still only 80 percent, you may sell it, but if it is done you can never sell it
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top