Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2002 9:38:26 AM EDT
I heard 308 was considered a "pistol" caliber or something... but I dont even know who makes 308 pistols... but read in a rec.guns FAQ saying that loading AP ammo doesnt constitute making them, only making the bullets themselves are. I just want to know if its legal to "load" 30-06 AP bullets into 308....
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Just my 2 cents, but might be ok, as ATF states
M-61 is restricted (150gr black tip), and old '06 black tips (longer-heavier @ 165gr) are basically "relic', and is not the same bullet anyway.

Just my thoughts, you can call/write ATF, but all we need anymore is some dumba$& write an opinion and screw things up for everybody. You can buy a 308 or 30-06 barrel for the Thompson Center "ENCORE".
Link Posted: 7/10/2002 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#2]
It's illegal to manufacture AP projectiles for which there exists a handgun, or to load AP ammunition for which there exists a handgun without an AP ammo license.  It's illegal for any FFL holder to sell AP ammo for which there exists a handgun, other than to LE/gov't or for export.

I've been informed that purchasing pulled AP components, and loading AP ammo for your personal use is not illegal, nor is it illegal for an unlicensed person to sell their legally acquired AP ammo to other persons.

All of this is federal, and your state or locality may have more restrictive laws.  You can read up on the AP ammo question and answers, such as they are, in the QA section of your FFL green book, or online at the ATF website.
Link Posted: 7/11/2002 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#3]
there are a handfull of .308 pistols ie the thomspson center/encore and the Lone eagle.

btw i was informed that as long as one was not a dealer or manufactor u could possess ap ammo. ie which is why steel core 7.62 x 39 is still avalable thru private sellers.

but im not a lawyer and so i dont know. and i would error on the side of caution.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top