Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2002 11:50:05 PM EDT
...does anyone else have a hard time watching repeat coverage of Sept. 11?  I would rather do [i]anything[/i] than watch those images again, of people running, screaming, falling, dying.  I had a 3 day weekend that began on that date, and like many of you, I was absolutely glued to the TV for the duration.  All of those pictures seared into my memory like a branding iron...  it's safe to say none of us will ever forget this thing that so transcends description.

But I just can't watch anymore.

I just get pissed, and sad and most of all frustrated that I can't and couldn't do anything to help.  Or punish the people and ideology that did it.  And my girlfriend wonders why I left the room a little while ago, not willing to watch Brit Hume's recap of [b]every single minute[/b] of that morning.

Call me a pussy for not liking to relive it, fine.  I can see the point some of you have made about showing it all the time, lest the public forget or allow the heinousness of it to be lessened as the country moves on.  I don't know if I agree with that, but I agree with the sentiment that we, as a people, cannot let this become trivialized and near forgotten. It's happened to so many other tragic events in our history.  God help any liberal asshole that says we deserved/contributed to it to me a year or two from now.  I'll never forget, nor will I forgive...

But I just can't watch anymore.

Link Posted: 3/11/2002 12:06:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 6:36:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Gents,
Many folk feel as you. In my family at least half share your weariness.

Well, I watched and taped last nights showing. Will I replay it? Maybe. Don't know...

But I DO NOT tire of the images. I have an unrepentive urge to stoke my rage. NEVER FORGET!

Link Posted: 3/11/2002 6:43:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 6:45:19 AM EDT
[#4]
different people react to this differently. i tired of the endless repetition within days of 9/11. now i'm pleased to watch airstrikes and ground troops in afghanistan. i'm hopeful that mr. bin laden's rotting corpse is buried deep in some collapsed cave. maybe after we take down saddam i'll have had enough.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 6:46:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry but I disagree. Americans should be shovel fed that footage until their resolve is for nothing but war on the people that commit these crimes.

Those people live among us in our everyday lives and we go around looking for hugs instead of maintaining vigilance against them. We should be stinging from the footage last night and be forced to never forget the horror of that day.

We have soldiers in Afghanistan TODAY that weren't even enlisted yet on 9/11!!! Even so, Americans have the audacity to question our policy of bombing the piss out of them because a government there (that couldn't even exist without us) says to let up.

IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN IF YOU ALLOW YOURSELF TO GO SOFT PEOPLE!

The Gulf war taught us nothing, Somilia taught us nothing, the Balkins taught us nothing, and now we want to sweep this under the rug too.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 6:59:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm with ya gunbert. I couldn't watch it.

What I felt Sept 11 and for the two months after it, was pure anger. There was no time for grief. My anger grew into resolve.

To see those pics now DOES cause grief for me. My raw anger is gone. My resolve remains that we MUST do WHATEVER it takes to rid the world of people who, rather than voice their opinions, act out in murder, attacking innocent people, and try to destroy America, freedom, and civility.

To see those pics of the firemen just minutes before their death to me was just too voyeuristic. I don't need those pics to steel my resolve for justice. For me, today, they produce ONLY debilitating grief, NOT motivating and productive anger.

So I don't want to see them anymore.

Link Posted: 3/11/2002 8:13:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Well not me, [b]Gunbert[/b], I never tire of seeing heroic men going about their duties with little thought about the tons of concrete and steel over their heads!

Now, maybe if we hadn't gone into Afghanistan and kicked some Taliban and Al Qaeda asses, and we were sitting on our hands doing nothing, a la Clinton or President Gore, then these scenes [u]would[/u] be more unbearable to watch!

This just goes to fire us up again! Which is fine by me, 'cause I detect a little softening in the American public right about now.

Now, if the film was just of Sept 11, and the buildings crashing down replayed over and over, it would be a different story!

This video tape showed a lot of gallant men at their posts and should be shown as often as is necessary to fuel our anger!

Consider it the modern version of Frank Capra's wartime classics 'Why We Fight'!

[url]http://history.acusd.edu/gen/filmnotes/whywefight.html[/url]

Eric The(WeNeededEncouragementToFightThen,Too?)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 8:16:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I disagree [b]G-man[/b].  I still DO feel "productive" anger - but also new anger directed at the subversive, destructive, anti-American elements of the Media and Gov't who are now back to their old ways of deconstructing Western Civilization and destroying America from within.
THAT only adds to my anger.

Images of 9-11 sharpen my resolve and remind me who the enemy is, what their intentions are and who are actually enabling them - including the "Fifth Column" (Daschle, Media, Hollywood, ACLU, etc.) who are just beginning to hit their stride.

Link Posted: 3/11/2002 8:43:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sorry but I disagree. Americans should be shovel fed that footage until their resolve is for nothing but war on the people that commit these crimes.

Those people live among us in our everyday lives and we go around looking for hugs instead of maintaining vigilance against them. We should be stinging from the footage last night and be forced to never forget the horror of that day.

We have soldiers in Afghanistan TODAY that weren't even enlisted yet on 9/11!!! Even so, Americans have the audacity to question our policy of bombing the piss out of them because a government there (that couldn't even exist without us) says to let up.

The Gulf war taught us nothing, Somilia taught us nothing, the Balkins taught us nothing, and now we want to sweep this under the rug too.
View Quote

you evidently don't understand the difference between not wanting to watch people suffer and going soft.

i didn't watch it because i didn't want to see people suffer again.  it isn't about being soft.  every time i saw the commercials for it, my little ember of pissed offed-ness flared up into a monstrous fireball.  i stoke the rage.  i don't need to rehash the sadness, pity, and despair that September 11 evoked for me.

besides, as i said before in another thread on the same topic, if the people of America weren't awaked to the circumstances of the world on September 11, then i sincerely doubt that watching the same images over and over again are going to make any difference.  people aren't motivated by a bunch of pictures only.  they are motivated by ideologies, standards, morals (or lack of them in some cases).  you'll never have unanimity for war.  never.  pictures won't change that.

oh, one more thing:  i don't need to have the pictures on day after to day to remind myself.  i think about it pretty much every day.  watching or not watching won't change that.  not all people are just like you.  perhaps you need to take a step back and realize that.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 8:50:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll go with Gunbert on this one.  I am tired of it, but for a different reason.  I am tired of all of the phoney sorrow I see on TV, like a bad LifeTime movie of the week.  I am tired of the way the media covers it, and listening to Richard Qear and the Baldwin scum.  

I want to focus on our troops fighting for our freedom.  Our liberties at home are shrinking faster than the rain forest.  Watching the video does not make me angry anymore, but instead I am sad that Americans treat it like a soap opera.  I will never forget the attack on America, but want no part of the "ground zero" spectacle.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 9:53:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I disagree [b]G-man[/b].  I still DO feel "productive" anger - but also new anger directed at the subversive, destructive, anti-American elements of the Media and Gov't who are now back to their old ways of deconstructing Western Civilization and destroying America from within.
THAT only adds to my anger.

Images of 9-11 sharpen my resolve and remind me who the enemy is, what their intentions are and who are actually enabling them - including the "Fifth Column" (Daschle, Media, Hollywood, ACLU, etc.) who are just beginning to hit their stride.

View Quote

T_M -

Of course we are just "comparing notes" here.

I'm speaking only of how these pics affect ME. If they get you fired up, and make you want to rip off an al Queda's head and crap down his neckhole, then, by all means, have at them. [:D]

And generically speaking, I see value for the general populace being freshly exposed to  the hideous, cowarly act of war these dirtbags perpetrated.

You may recall, shortly after 9/11, I advocated the Network News channels be FORCED to show two bios a night of the WTC/ Pentagon / PA victims, to KEEP IT FRESH IN PEOPLES MINDS as to why we are doing what we are doing in Afgahnistan (At two a night, the bios would last for 3.84 years)

its just that for me personally, I don't need to get my anger / resolve batteries recharged by those pics.

The pics ONLY made me feel sick to my stomach, whch for me personally, was unproductive.

And re: the "Fifth Column" (Tom Dasshole, media Hollyweird, ACLU(less) ) they piss me off daily anyway [}:D] They were my enemies long before Sept 11, and will be so long afterwards.

Link Posted: 3/11/2002 9:59:06 AM EDT
[#12]
dont get mad. get even.at a ratio of 10 to 1.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 11:31:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 11:35:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

With that I agree with you. This country tends to forget things. But there are certain aspects of this attack that are very different from anything else We've dealt with, foremost being the magnitude of the attack and that [b]it was directed entirely toward innocent civilians[/b].  This was no Pearl Harbor.  At least that was semi-understandable: their Navy suprised ours in port with the hope that it would give them an edge in what they knew was an inevitable war with the US.  I can see why the Japanese did that, and we kicked their ass harder for it.  But 9/11 was just so cowardly!

You don't like the way the world is?  Fine! Pull yourselves out of your muslim slums and ghettos and form a legitimate representative government, educate your masses and learn to politic like every freaking other group on the planet.

I'm not saying that I disagree with the coverage...  indeed, people inherently need to know and understand what happened, and most of the news tries to provide that. What I'm saying is that the coverage and rehashing of the actual event does little for me anymore.  I watch new developments and coverage of what's happening now, the progress we're making to wipe these bastards off the face of the earth... that stuff is fine.  But every picture of a burning tower puts me right back to the emotions I felt on that day...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top