Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2002 8:14:00 AM EDT
I know that most of you are going to jump down my throat for asking this.  But hear me out first.

I was just having an argument with a guy on another board.  This guy claimed that Spike Lee was a bad person because he had made racist comments.

I disagreed, IMHO everyone makes racist comments.  The people I hate aren't people who make racist comments but the people who run around making a big deal about it.

To be honest, at one time or another I've insulted Southern Baptists, blacks, Catholics, Jews, Hindu's, Asians, white people, Mexican's, Klansmen, Europeans, Canadians, Yankees, Rednecks, Kalifornians,Ragheads, and probably every other group out there.  

Now I probably "shouldn't" have made these comments.  But it doesn't make me a bad person because I did it.  If it did then everybody would be a bad person, because I can guarantee you that 99.9 percent of the people who read this have made a racist remark at one time or another.

My point is that instead of dwelling on the fact that somebody made a racist remark just get over it and move on.

Your thoughts on this?

-SouthernShark
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:17:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Sticks and stones will break my bones but, words will never hurt me; at least that's what Mom used to tell me.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:19:08 AM EDT
[#2]
what i did notice was that only WHITE people are racists.    everyone else is "expressing their opinion"
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:27:15 AM EDT
[#3]
people like spike lee are pricks,not because of racist remarks, but because in thier minds, they are allowed to make whatever remark they please, but anything negative said about a black person required a NAACP response. I personally think small racist remarks and prejudice is human nature. people tend to stick to people that seem similar to them. if their were a table of black guys, and a table of white, I would sit with the white, not because I hate blacks, just because its human nature to go with the people like yourself. now days, if you don't take every opertuinity to praise the blacks and never speak ill of any part of their life style, your an evil bigot. in fact, I have been told I'm racist cause I don't like rap music, give me a break.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:28:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm, gosh, I don't know. Maybe you should ask GovThug. He seems to be the resident thought police this week.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#5]
According to our society, racist comments are perfectly fine. Unless they're coming from a white male.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:31:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 8:33:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
i'm not a racist. I hate everyone equally.
View Quote

Me too. I've made racist remarks against every group equally including white folk. F'ing necks.... hehe.

-SS
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 9:13:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 9:21:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
people like spike lee are pricks,not because of racist remarks, but because in thier minds, they are allowed to make whatever remark they please, but anything negative said about a black person required a NAACP response. I personally think small racist remarks and prejudice is human nature. people tend to stick to people that seem similar to them. if their were a table of black guys, and a table of white, I would sit with the white, not because I hate blacks, just because its human nature to go with the people like yourself. now days, if you don't take every opertuinity to praise the blacks and never speak ill of any part of their life style, your an evil bigot. in fact, I have been told I'm racist cause I don't like rap music, give me a break.
View Quote

Birds of a feather, flock together.  

Man look at me; gittin' out all the old clichés today!
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 2:05:39 PM EDT
[#10]
You may make as many slurs as you like publicly, as it is your right to say basically anything you want short of slander or inciting a riot.

However, you will still have your teeth handed to you.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 2:18:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sticks and stones will break my bones but, words will never hurt me; at least that's what Mom used to tell me.
View Quote

I used to think the same way until one of those big ass signs fell on me... I will never forget those words... "McDonalds"

See, now I'm gonna cry again!

I think that everyone can be racist regardless of color and many of them are. It's one thing to call your buddy a racial term as a show of affection and NOT be racist. It's another to call someone that same thing out of anger.

My friends and I use "racist" terms for each other as terms of endearment. I have always done that since the good ole days of high school. One of the funniest moments was in college when I would play basket ball with some of my closest friends (who were black) and they would scream out racist things as I would. We were pretty close and it was done without a second thought. To people passing by though it was sheer shock and horror on their faces!!!

Words are words, it's how, when, and where you say things that get you labeled as a racist. In fact, anyone who treats another person different based on age, color, religion, sex, etc is an "ist" in one form or another. Treat everyone the same (even if it's shitty!) and you'll be fine!
View Quote

Hey, sometimes you're lucky with the friends you have, sometimes you're just too godamn white!  

I'm the latter, since I look like the atypical Arian guy, I've caught a lot of flak.  Especially when I was in high school years ago and a teacher pointed me out as someone Hitler would love.  (No joke!)  So since then I've had to walk a tightrope with what I say around people, but just recently have begun to wonder why the f*ck I should!!?  Are people that fragile that I'll forever wound them if I'm talking to my girlfriend and someone overhears a conversation?  

Talk as you may, but your actions speak to whether you are a prick or not, not the occassional angry word!

Anyone here thing "guido" is a slur towards Italian guidos?  Someone told me it was a couple days ago, but then again she's a kraut Mc WASP. [:)]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 2:22:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Anybody should be able to call anybody else anything they want.  Other people have every right to call me whatever they want about my German-Italian Catholic heritage.  I really don't care and even if I did, that's too bad for me.  Their right to speak their mind outweighs my right to not be insulted.

I believe in equality in bigotry, meaning I make fun of everybody (German-Italian Catholic, White, Black, Asian, Arab, Jew, Christian, Muslim, handicapped, retarded, people with eyeglasses, short, tall, fat, thin, bald, dumb, blonde, dead, etc) equally.  In fact, the more "PC" something becomes, the more I want to ridicule it or them.

I REPEAT: My or your right to speak freely outweighs my or your right to not be offended.  You don't like it?  Too bad... get a life.

I agree with you 100% SouthernShark, people need to get over it and get a freakin' life.

Link Posted: 3/9/2002 2:27:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Race is irrelevant, the individual is what matters, and that individual is ME.  Just wait til cloning is available cause I will be taking over!
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 2:31:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Your thoughts on this?

Like it or not, we have been given the right
to freedom of speech. However, if you're
white this freedom is limited.

Link Posted: 3/9/2002 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 2:42:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Jump down your throat? Hardly...
In my business more often than should be, I run into a non-white person who thinks that because me or my guys don't jump to attention when HE walks in.That we have a "problem"
The pile of bad checks that I can't collect on the majority of them are NOT Caucasian.
When an item is attempted to get returned WITHOUT a receipt (like maybe stolen from the store) it is NOT a Caucasian person who is doing it.
I was raised to believe all were always equal. But true life/reality proved different.
Flame me or not, just my opinion.
And to start another "discussion" as far as I am concerned (Northerner here) someone wants to fly their Confederate flag over their state capitol? GO FOR IT!!! Too many good Southern soldiers died for it. To take it down because of non-politically correctness is an insult to them.
FLY IT HIGH!
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 2:46:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I agree both with GoatBoy and MinMan72.

Yes, I got white friends that can use racial slurs and I not get offended. Why? Cause they are friends of mine... it's ok. I know they are just playing. Like GB said, the right time and place. But someone else (like MinMan), who thinks they are tight with me, and are not... no, it's not okay. I would label you a racist. See, you just have to know where you fall in yourself with everyone else.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 2:59:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Personally, I don't get offended by much. And I especially don't get offended by much anybody has to say.  I don't get pissed because somebody calls someone a nigger, and to be honest with you I don't get upset when people talk about how much they hate whitey.

Hell for that matter, I don't even get too upset when people talk about how much they hate me. As a matter of fact, I've almost worn it as a badge of honor.

HATED AND PROUD!

Thin skinned people really get on my nerves. People suck, and they derserve to be called names when they act stupid.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 3:13:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Should it be ok to make racist comments?
View Quote

[b]Legally:[/b] Yes.

[b]Culturally:[/b] Usually not.

[b]Tactically:[/b] Never. It makes you look like an ass.

Link Posted: 3/9/2002 3:23:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Should it be ok to make racist comments?
View Quote

[b]Legally:[/b] Yes.

[b]Culturally:[/b] Usually not.

[b]Tactically:[/b] Never. It makes you look like an ass.
View Quote

agreed 110%.  there's this little thing called consideration that i like to think motivates the words that comes out of people's mouths.

i'd like to think...but it doesn't.  i mean even here it's "okay" to say because the legal right exists and everybody else does it.

not good enough for me.  i was taught growing up that you don't say certain things.  to toss around another cliche, "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."  i guess the effort to crush the stupidity of PC-ness actually resulted in an overcorrection and now it's okay to say anything we want.  personally, i think that's just as bad as PC-ness.

but that's just me.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 5:58:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Addendum to my post above: I certainly don't intentionally hurt people's feelings as I was also raised with "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all."  I won't walk up to somebody and insult them for no reason because that is pointless and inconsiderate.  

I will tell off-color jokes and laugh at off-color jokes told to me, but there is a certain amount of consideration that needs to be brought in to play.  It's a matter of common sense, of which many people have none.  Oh yeah, did I mention I like to make fun of people who have not common sense too? [;)]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 6:22:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Just like everything else in life you have to know when to, and when not to. When you're not sure, keep your mouth closed and smile politely.

Just my 2¢
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#23]
The statement that said white people have limited freedom of speech is absolutely correct.  The race trump card is used everyday in our society.  Some for political gain, and others for extortion (Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton).  The white male is discriminated against more than anyone in getting the perfect job, getting in the best school, and getting a civil service job.  I know the police officers and firemen on this board can agree with that.  

We live in a different world now people, and if we don't adjust to the "new" way of thinking, there is more at stake than just a few teeth.

Link Posted: 3/9/2002 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Define "racist comment".

Is it racist to use FBI Crime statistics to show the hypocrisy and moral bankruptcy of the "Black Leadership" in America?

Is it racist to state your opinion that ebonics, rap "music" and the vulgar, rude, dumbed-down culture of "Black Urban America" is a poison unto itself and the rest of American society.

Is it racist to say that affirmative action is blatantly unfair, insulting and counterproductive to advancing poor Blacks upwards in American society.

Is it racist to... Oh, never mind.

Of course it should be ok to say anything you want about any race, good or bad. If you want to criticize, insult or provoke a fight - no law should stop you, just your common sense.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2002 6:27:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Define "racist comment".

Is it racist to use FBI Crime statistics to show the hypocrisy and moral bankruptcy of the "Black Leadership" in America?

Is it racist to state your opinion that ebonics, rap "music" and the vulgar, rude, dumbed-down culture of "Black Urban America" is a poison unto itself and the rest of American society.

Is it racist to say that affirmative action is blatantly unfair, insulting and counterproductive to advancing poor Blacks upwards in American society.
View Quote

None of the above are racist.  However, since you are aware in advance that the topics are sensitive, it is tactically prudent to have your facts handy and your arguments logical.  This is true of many other sensitive issues in life, such as abortion and gun control.

Of course it should be ok to say anything you want about any race, good or bad. If you want to criticize, insult or provoke a fight - no law should stop you, just your common sense.  
View Quote

All true, with the exception of "provoke a fight".  Depending on what exactly you mean by this, your speech may or may not be legal.  The First Amendment does not extend to fighting words.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 6:38:38 AM EDT
[#26]
In general, CLP nailed it on the head with his post.

You have the freedom to say anything you want.  That doesn't mean that you have to use it.  If you use it, you have to accept its civil consequences, which may include the fact that you may offend your fellow citizens, who may then exercise their freedom of speech to call you a jackass.  If you are prepared to accept this, then you have no problem - go forth, speak and enjoy!
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 6:42:50 AM EDT
[#27]
You should be able to say what ever you want. That is unless the first ammendment is now useless as well.
That said, you should also have to take responsability for what you say.
Example: you get into a fight with a person of another race and use a racial slur in the heat of the moment, that is nothing less than expected. You are not a bad person.

IF you walk into a black panther convention and start useing racial slurs and then get your butt kicked, you deserved it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 7:34:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Not in polite society.

It's alright to use crack, to rob old ladies of their welfare checks and to abandon children in some parts of society.

The same part of society that Spike Lee aims his products at.
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:Example: you get into a fight with a person of another race and use a racial slur in the heat of the moment, that is nothing less than expected. You are not a bad person.
View Quote
Yes, you are.  Well, maybe not bad.  Just crude.  There's no excuse for racially-based disparagement.  It's a crutch for the vulgar and the unimaginative.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top