Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2002 3:25:41 PM EDT
I am a high school teacher, gun owner, hunter etc. and I carry when I am not at school. I am Pro second amendment and all the rights and responsibilities that go with it.

What do you think of the ramifications of me writing pro-gun quotes of the founding fathers on my board.

Most people at the school are gun owners, but you know that usually doesn't matter.

First post here, Ive been reading for a couple of months and learned a lot.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 3:32:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Teach the history of our nation, but be ready for a back-lash.  

I remember my college years in the 'gulag university' when conservatives were literally excommunicated from the corpus while sleazy liberals were celebrated.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 3:41:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Never be afraid of telling the truth, political correctness be damned! We need to open up the eyes and minds of this country's youth and what better way then by showing what it is that gave us the freedoms we now enjoy. To shy away from or hide this fact is insulting to those who sacrificed so much to achieve these freedoms. As Schnert said, be prepared for the backlash, but do not hide from it.

Let freedom ring!
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 3:42:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Keeptryin,

I'd say GO FOR IT.  Put up quotes from our founding fathers.  Tell the students that they are the facts, and they can make their own decisions about what they meant regarding gun ownership.  Tell the same to other people that give you crap.  

We need more educated students out there... and less indoctrinated ones...

Link Posted: 3/7/2002 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 4:03:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd say go for it!  There is no reason to worry about quoting our founding fathers, just make sure that you keep it at a historical level and  you'll be in the clear.  

I'd also try to get some critical thinking from your students as to why they believed the 2nd Amendment was written and how they feel about it now.  You might actually be preaching to the choir!
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#7]
The NRA put out a nice small handbook on 2nd amendment. Has a lot of good quotes. Small and bule, anyone remember the name of it?

Go for it, students need to hear the truth. I grew up in GA, and all my family and friends there are still pro gun.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#8]
If you teach in a small rural community then there would likly be little said.

However, if you teach in downtown Atlanta then you would be flying in the face of the "establishment," be prepared to take some serious heat.

Good luck and thanks for your efforts.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys

Im a science teacher about 30 minutes south of Atlanta in an old town.

Again I am a science teacher so this would be a type of thing that I would write and just let it be seen.  I just needed some encouragment I guess.  I am teaching Chemistry this time and make lots of references to burn rates in powder and rifle trajectories etc.

Thanks again for this great community.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I notice this is your second post.........WELCOME, it is always nice to see someone from Georgia.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#11]
personally, i'm all for it.

i think it's going to be harder to justify because you're a science teacher and not a history/civics/government teacher.  but if you think the hassle is worth it, more power to you.

one thing that would make it go over more smoothly would be to mix in the pro-2nd comment with comments about freedom, responsibilities, etc.--all the things this country requires to maintain its liberties.  then you won't look like a gun-nut.

you'll look like ultra-right wing conservative, WASPy, religious gun-nut.

could you get any higher praise?
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 9:16:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Be more subtle.  Take two overhead projector stands.  Put them smack dab in the middle of the room.  Circle the chairs around the outside.

On one place
Bible
BOR
Constitution
A gold Coin
A Flag
A purple heart
A Globe
An Eagle
A Minuteman
Milton Friedmans Work
And the Works of Plato & Aristotle & the Federalist Papers
Put the Histories of Greece, Rome, and the United States

On the other put
Karl Marx & Max Engals Treatise
The hammer & Sickle
Chains
A picture of Hillary
A picture of Stalin
A picture of Dan Rather
A paper Mache bomb with a foil for a fuse and a cut out peice of fire on the end.

They will notice it when they come into the room, Don't say a word. If someone else comes into the room and asks you what you are doing, you can say your are teaching about Logic, Categories and Context; That way when they hear a phrase that kinda sounds like Stand #2, but is linked to some phrase from that sounds like stand #1 they can deduce that it truly belongs on stand #2 with all the other BS.  

Any questions???
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 9:18:34 PM EDT
[#13]
It gun rights are part of our history.  I so go a step futher and teach the Federalist Papers for a few weeks.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 9:35:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Edited to Add , thank you and it about time we start taking our country back.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Can my son be in your class when he grows up?
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 9:51:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Since you are teaching science there is no better way to teach the law of Causality then Ramond Burkes , "Connections"  That will excite and teach like few things, it trys to teach a very difficult concept. It shows the relationships between various technologies and their developments and impacts on the work produced by man throughout histories and timelines and countries.  For instance He might show how the precise measurement of time from Huygens enabled sea going vessels to get further out to sea and not having to follow the coastlines made for the discovery of faster routes to trade ports which lowered the cost of doing business which made building faster ships more feasable which meant that they could hall more tradegoods which meant that a system of supporting larger sails was devised which ended up forcing an improvement in textile production which made better quilts which ended up being sold for more money, I mean he goes on and on and is in my book brilliant.  His stories are fascinating and wonderful in their true presentation of relationships. I would have loved having a college professor of his caliber.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 10:23:13 PM EDT
[#17]
... I knew there were good people in Georgia!

... Glad to see you join the fun!
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 12:49:12 AM EDT
[#18]
How much do teaching degrees pay in professions other than teaching?
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 4:33:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I am a science teacher in PA.  I've been in the profession since 1985.  If you want to do this, I think a better idea would be to make a bulletin board with pictures of the founding fathers, a copy of the constitution, and your quotes.  It has been my experience teaching in several different districts in two states that the ultra-liberal educational establishment is largely a myth.  [b]Every[/b] teacher I have ever known was either pro-RKBA or neutral.  Still, the possibility exists that there may be one Anti with a hair up up his/her a$$ in your district.  You need to remember that you were hired to teach science, not the American Constitution.  You owe it to your employer to do your job.  Putting up a bulletin board lets you present the factual information in a way that does not detract from class instructional time.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 4:54:41 AM EDT
[#20]
since youre not a history/civics teacher, i think it's a bit of a stretch bringing what amounts to your personal beliefs on an unrelated subject into the classroom. so keep it low-key, and look for other ways to address this issue, like sponsoring extracurricular activities, rotc, "constitution club", debate societies, etc. see if you can start a target shooting team.

i'm planning to chuck a 20 year career in computers to get a graduate degree in history, and become a history professor somewhere. i hope to present the issues and let the students explore them freely, and reach their own conclusions. a certain amount of academic integrity is involved. i will share my opinion whenever it is solicited, but it will be presented as my opinion.

i also plan to invite them all to the range at every opportunity.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 5:07:59 AM EDT
[#21]
From a school administrator standpoint, I think you might be in for some major amounts of trouble.

Since you are not a history teacher, basically what you are doing is posting your personal beliefs. A big no-no in the state of Illinois, and most other school districts in the country.

Plus, I can see some students complaining to the administration that they are learning in a hostile environments, especially if the student has Liberal parents. If that happens, at the least you will be forced to stop posting quotes, or worse the ACLU will jump in.

Too risky IMHO.

Av.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 5:40:44 AM EDT
[#22]
I would recommend that if you do put up a quote, say one a day, that you mix it in with other quotes that appeal to their sense of freedom, worth, pride... etc. Mix it in with current day quotes from so called teen idols (if they even have any free thought left) I wouldn't come on too strong as a pro gun advocate. Ask your students to think about the quote throughout your class period and offer to take a few minutes at the end of the class to discuss it or any other past quote if they are interested as long as it doesn't turn into a useless heated debate. By discussing it at the end of class you enforce a time limit, ...when the bell rings. Then.....

During test time, quiz time, put up a quote on the board and offer extra credit if they write a short paragraph responding to that quote. hint... pro gun quote!
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 1:41:57 PM EDT
[#23]
thanks guys,

I was thinking along the passive lines, and mixed in with other stuff (freedom, pride, time, etc.)

I teach differently anyhow and have gotten good response. (as close to the socratic method as I can approach in the public schools)

I have a great time teaching, mainly because I like making students think.  I HATE worksheets.

thanks for your support, there really are a lot of us out there who think like this and are just as frustrated as you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top