Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2002 7:30:43 PM EDT
Awhile back I bought a barrel for my Benelli M1S90 from CDNN Investments.  The barrel was advertised as a 24" vent rib barrel for the Montefeltro/Black Eagle.  Due to my own ignorance (didn't realize there was a difference between the Montefeltro and M1S90) it obviously didn't fit my M1S90.  CDNN required a 15% restocking fee to send it back.  So I listed it on ebay.  In the description I listed it with the same terminology as the CDNN ad that I bought it from (24" vent rib barrel for Montefeltro/Black Eagle).  A guy then purchased it using the Buy it now feature.  Basically I got my money out back out of the barrel and broke even.  The guy did not ask any questions about the barrel, just simply purchased it.  

The guy emails me know and is upset because the barrel won't fit his Super Black Eagle.  He wants a refund.  His rationale is that I did not accurately describe the barrel and that it was my responsibility to know what the barrel would fit before I sold it.  Having never owned or field stripped a SBE, I don't really know anything about it.  

What do you guys think?  In my opinion I think I described the item to the best of my ability.  I think that he should have asked for more information before shelling out the bucks in the first place.  I'm not inclined to give a refund.  He states that it is the seller's responsibility to accurately describe the item.  I agree.  However, I think that I did this to the best of my ability.  I would contend that it is the buyers responsibility to know what in the hell he is buying before paying $135.  I made this mistake in the first place and then elected to list the item on ebay.  I think that if it won't fit his shotgun, that he could easily do the same.

Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#1]
So you just pass the screwing on to the next guy?

Get it returned, refund the money and relist the item accurately.

Link Posted: 3/6/2002 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#2]
If it were me I would refund is money less the shipping and relist the item yourself as just fitting the Montrefeltro.  I have never tried my Montrefeltro barrel in my SBE or vice versa so I don't really know if they fit or not.  While its not your fault that you listed it the same as the dealer you bought it from I try to keep people happy and as long as they buyer will pay shipping back to me then I will relist.  This just my opinion, as I would rather have all positives than any negatives.  
Bill3508
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 9:02:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Well if CDNN listed it as for fitting a SBE and it doesn't send it back to CDNN because it won't fit YOUR SBE.  If they refuse to take it back because it doesn't fit what they advertised, then you have a problem.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
So you just pass the screwing on to the next guy?
View Quote

That sounds like an accurate description!
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I too would refund the dude his $$$$.  Of course it is only reasonable that he pay return shipping.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 8:08:19 PM EDT
[#6]
If your ad was correct, the same as CDNN described and you made no mistakes then......

CAVEAT EMPTOR.  

Don't eat it for the second time, especially if he screwed up like you did.  

If you decide to refund the money, don't forget the Ebay fees and your 15% restocking fee.  

Did you list the item as "sale is final?"
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree with the rest. Give the cash back,it's the RIGHT thing to do.[^]
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 8:26:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Two things here.
1. If you advertised the item to the best of your knowledge you did your part.

2.  It says right on the ebay sight to contact the seller and clear up any questions BEFORE placing a bid, as a bid is a binding contract.

You did it right and are in the clear.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 8:43:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree with Dukota.

I have seen stuff like this happen many a time with people and eBay.  Someone buys something, and after getting it they start to gripe about this or that because they realize they either paid too much, or don't want it anymore.  Basically they pull a classic liberal stunt and blame the seller for their own mistakes.  If this guy didn't email you and ask you this BEFORE he bid, LIKE HE SHOULD HAVE then it's HIS mistake and HIS problem.  

Don't be too quick to refund his money for fear of negative feedback.  As long as you didn't *intenionally* mislead the bidder(s) then you are not at fault.  Send him an email stating that it was/is his responsibility to ask questions before bidding and that you did not lie or withold information in your description.  He will probably give you negative feedback, but you can do the same for him.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 6:55:15 PM EDT
[#10]
It seems to me that this thing hinges on whether or not the seller's description was accurate. In other words, is a Black Eagle barrel the same as a Super Black Eagle barrel? That's a technical question that I don't have the answer to.

An inaccurate description (i.e. it won't fit a Black Eagle) is the seller's responsibility regardless of what source or reference the information came from, and regardless of whether it was described "to the best of my ability."

On the other hand, if the purchaser bid based on information that was merely incomplete, and not wrong, that's his own problem. Like if he incorrectly assumed that Black Eagle barrels would fit Super Black Eagles. You could just say "For sale: shotgun barrel" and if some sucker bids on it thinking it's going to automatically fit his 28 gauge Purdy, it's not your fault. You can't be expected to list every gun it WON'T fit.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 7:08:51 PM EDT
[#11]
As a seller on ebay, I would say Fuzzbean is dead-on.  If a Black Eagle barrel is different than a Super Black Eagle, than this guy screwed up, dont worry about feedback, if your right and he leaves you a negative, just leave him one back, whoevers wrong usually ends up making an ass out of themselves.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 8:57:28 PM EDT
[#12]
As a longtime ebayer, I ALWAYS ask if the listing doesn't say specifically what I want to know, before buying. IF you listed the barrel 100% accurately then it is the BUYER'S responsibility to ascertain whether or not it is what he needed. CAVEAT EBAY.
OTOH, I would also refund a transaction if the person isn't satisfied, provided that they:
A. Pay the return shipping
B. Pay my listing fees, and
C. Aren't a total horse's anal opening about the deal...otherwise, refer them to ebay policy about buyer's remorse and tell 'em to piss off.
Good Luck.
Pit
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I also agree with Dukota
Post the links to both auctions, I'm curious.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 3:04:22 AM EDT
[#14]
[url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1805393427[/url]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 3:31:20 AM EDT
[#15]
BE Vs. SBE, screw him. His fault for not checking with you if it would fit a different shotgun with a similar name. (not same, Similar) which btw is a useful defense it ebay wants to get in on the ruckas.
its like someone owning a Chevy V6 Camaro, and buying a piece for a V8 Camaro, then getting upset it doesnt fit.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 4:03:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I totally disagree with these other member,I would take the big business approach.Can this guy sue u,sure !! can he win, probably!! will it be worth his time hell no.

All bull shit aside i agree with these fellas refund money less s&h and it's not the right thing to do it's the only thing to.ETC HOW MAD WERE U WHEN U GOT THE BARREL AND IT'S WAS THE WRONG ONE STEAMING I BET. 1 LAST THING FROM UR OWN POST TO ME U MISLEAD HIM BY KNOWING U LISTED IT JUST LIKE CDDN DID AND U KNEW THAT THEY LISTED IT WRONG SO BEWARE NEXT TIME  
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 5:45:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Anyone take a look at the buyers feedback, he has multiple negatives, some of them are even intimating fraud (selling item multiple times and not deleivering).

I say chalk it up and to remember not to sell to people with feedback like that.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 6:09:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 6:12:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 6:24:19 AM EDT
[#20]
I guess I'm the resident asshole around here, but after reading your listing, if it were me, feedback be damned, and depending on how he handled the situation (Read: Is he trying to be reasonable about it , or is he being a total prickhair about it? Sounds like, and reading some of his feedback suggests, he is probably being an ass. If so, then personally I'd tell this guy to go piss up a rope and get ebay involved if that's what would get his panties out of a bunch... You did nothing misleading, and it ain't your fault he is so ignorant as to A) NOT know what barrel will fit his particular gun, and B) Ask before buying if he is unsure. I say it's just his tough shit...He should read ebay rules a bit more closely and think before bidding. Just my .0223 worth.
Good luck again.
Pit
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 10:47:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
BE Vs. SBE, screw him. His fault for not checking with you if it would fit a different shotgun with a similar name. (not same, Similar) which btw is a useful defense it ebay wants to get in on the ruckas.
its like someone owning a Chevy V6 Camaro, and buying a piece for a V8 Camaro, then getting upset it doesnt fit.
View Quote

NOVA5, do you know for a fact that Black Eagle barrels are mechanically different from Super Black Eagle barrels and not interchangeable? That is the key information that somebody (the seller) needs to find out.

How about this:

The seller was selling a rifle barrel that he described as "Fits M16A1 rifles." The buyer bought it ASSUMING that it would fit his civillian AR-15 clone, but discovered that it would not fit. Now barring maybe an Oly or other freak defective upper, everybody here KNOWS that an M16A1 barrel WILL fit an AR-15 clone. If it won't fit the clone, it wouldn't fit an M16A1 either; therefore the seller's description was wrong. And the fact that he got his wrong information from somebody else would be no defense. He alone is responsible for the accuracy of his own description.

Now if eBay got involved, they might not know that M16A1 barrels are interchangeable with AR-15 barrels, and the seller might be able to trick them into agreeing that the buyer was at fault for making unwarranted assumptions. But that is only because eBay is dumber than a box of rocks about guns. It does not make such a defense ethical.

As I said in my previous post, I DON'T KNOW if B.E. barrels and S.B.E. barrels interchange in the same way that M16 and AR-15 barrels do. I'm just saying that the seller needs to find that out before he can know what is the right thing to do.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 10:55:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I totally disagree with these other member,I would take the big business approach.Can this guy sue u,sure !! can he win, probably!! will it be worth his time hell no.

All bull shit aside i agree with these fellas refund money less s&h and it's not the right thing to do it's the only thing to.ETC HOW MAD WERE U WHEN U GOT THE BARREL AND IT'S WAS THE WRONG ONE STEAMING I BET. 1 LAST THING FROM UR OWN POST TO ME U MISLEAD HIM BY KNOWING U LISTED IT JUST LIKE CDDN DID AND U KNEW THAT THEY LISTED IT WRONG SO BEWARE NEXT TIME  
View Quote

Sorry, but his suit wouldn't make it into court and he sure as hell would not win.  First off, Ebay has an arbitration policy which would need to be utilized, which would end in the buyer losing, since Ebay's policy is clear about asking questions before bidding.  Second, Drjakeb was not asked questions and clearly did not misrepresent the item, so how would he "probably" win?  

I hope you're not a lawyer.

As far as being mad about getting stuck with the barrel, well how about being mad about the opportunity loss by this guy winning the barrel over someone else that might have been able to use it?  So is it right for Dr to get stuck with it because the buyers has shit for brains?  Nope, didn't think so.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 11:09:18 AM EDT
[#23]
A lot of people here seem to be taking for granted that CDNN's description was accurate.

I've experienced so much incompetence on the part of "professionals" and "experts" that I do not automatically make that assumption.

[peep]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 11:34:31 AM EDT
[#24]
i too am an asshole........, i know because my says i am !!!!! & i love her for saying so !!!

i searched the Ebay site & cuddn't find the answer i wanted, but i'll pose the question here.......

drjakeb stated that the buyer used the "Buy Now" feature, isn't that kinda lyke "screw all you bidder buttheads, i want it now", & in so doing he accepts the responsibility of his own knowledge of said item, therefore relinquishes his right to bitch if he is wrong.......,

also drjakeb stated in the add it was for "Montefeltro/Black Eagle" the jerk has a "Super Black Eagle"......., if i wanted a front fender for a Ford Ranger PU i shure as hell wuddn't buy a front fender for a Ford F-150 PU !!!!!! key words here being "BLACK EAGLE" & "FORD"........

the M16/AR15 barrel anology stinks !!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 3/9/2002 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
drjakeb stated that the buyer used the "Buy Now" feature, isn't that kinda lyke "screw all you bidder buttheads, i want it now", & in so doing he accepts the responsibility of his own knowledge of said item, therefore relinquishes his right to bitch if he is wrong.......,
View Quote

Can't see how that makes any difference one way or the other. The "Buy It Now" feature was offered by the seller, not forced upon him against his will by the buyer. The buyer's not saying, "I want it now, whether it's described accurately or not!"

the M16/AR15 barrel anology stinks !!!!!!!!!
View Quote

Because you can't think of an actual argument to rebut it?
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Can't see how that makes any difference one way or the other. The "Buy It Now" feature was offered by the seller, not forced upon him against his will by the buyer. The buyer's not saying, "I want it now, whether it's described accurately or not!"

The buy it now feature.. if it was offerd does not have to be used unless the buyer "wants it now, whether it's described accurately or not"

A bidder can simply bid without using the buy it now option and the auction closes at the preset time.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 12:38:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for the input guys.

I have had nothing but good experiences with ebay up until this point.  I was suprised when this bastard decided to blame me for his own mistake.  I did not try to do anything 'fishy' with the sale of the barrel.  

Probably against my better judgement, I agreed to refund the money and take the barrel back.  I was sure to leave negative feedback on ebay though.  I guess I'll try and sell it again.  

P.S.  If anyone is looking for a 24" barrel for a Benelli Montefeltro, let me know.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 1:11:16 PM EDT
[#29]
See now thats the problem with this world today. I Fu-k up so I'm going to blame someone else. People need to start taking responsibility for there own actions.

He bought the barrel with assuming it would fit his gun.  He screwed up he should take the responsibility for it.

This is just like going and buying a gun that because it says 9mm on it like the 9mm largo and then getting pissed because it does not take 9mm ammo.

If it makes you feel better at night that you are going to give the money back then do it.

Just my $0.02  
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#30]
drjakeb:

I agreed to refund the money and take the barrel back.  I was sure to leave negative feedback on ebay though.  I guess I'll try and sell it again.  
View Quote

I don't think anyone was trying to be dishonest, but CDNN's description was inaccurate, & that's what started this mess. [i]I'd call CDNN, & ask if bozo can send it back to THEM first...[/i] But you ARE doing the right thing.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 4:10:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input guys.

I have had nothing but good experiences with ebay up until this point.  I was suprised when this bastard decided to blame me for his own mistake.  I did not try to do anything 'fishy' with the sale of the barrel.  

Probably against my better judgement, I agreed to refund the money and take the barrel back.  I was sure to leave negative feedback on ebay though.  I guess I'll try and sell it again.  

P.S.  If anyone is looking for a 24" barrel for a Benelli Montefeltro, let me know.
View Quote

You are an infinitely nicer ebayer than I. Good luck selling the barrel.
Pit
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Thought you guys might like an update.  

Checked my ebay feedback today and saw the following:

SCAM! SENT ITEM DIFFERENT THAN IN AUCTION! JERK WHEN I ASKED 4 REFUND! 1OFAKIND!

So next I checked his feedback and found my comment with his reply:

Complaint : Pitched a fit when the barrel didn't fit his gun. Ask questions BEFORE bidding.  

Response by integrityassured - SCAM! I PAID SAME DAY, SELLER SENT ME WRONG ITEM! RUDE WHEN I ASKED FOR REFUND!  

I sent exactly what I advertised.  This guy is full of s@#t.  He got his refund.  Didn't deserve one, but got it anyway.  So much for integrity.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 10:19:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

SCAM! SENT ITEM DIFFERENT THAN IN AUCTION! JERK WHEN I ASKED 4 REFUND! 1OFAKIND!

Complaint : Pitched a fit when the barrel didn't fit his gun. Ask questions BEFORE bidding.  

Response by integrityassured - SCAM! I PAID SAME DAY, SELLER SENT ME WRONG ITEM! RUDE WHEN I ASKED FOR REFUND!  

I sent exactly what I advertised.  This guy is full of s@#t.  He got his refund.  Didn't deserve one, but got it anyway.  So much for integrity.  
View Quote

I knew this would happen.  A POS is a POS...  Hate to say I told ya so.  Consider this a learning experience.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2002 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can post a follow up to that feedback on his account and I would definately do it with much restraint to show you are the bigger man.  I'll be using my accounts to screw around with whatever he lists, consider it my revenge for you.  He's a shitbag and you should have pocketed the money, call it a learning experience and that you are the better person this time.  Sorry it had to end up like this!  In the future, don't post negative feedback until the statute of lims is close to running out, preferably the day before.  That's the only way to ensure that there won't be revenge by them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top