Link Posted: 3/5/2002 6:12:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:07:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:39:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:23:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Great movie. I learned a lot from it, not just historically, but tactically.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's a good site re: the film -

[url]http://www.weweresoldiers.com/[/url]

An excellent, excellent film.  I will see it again in the theater for sure.

Tate
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:10:59 PM EDT
[#6]
It is movies like this one that makes me ask myself the question "are we the men our fathers/grandfathers were".  We owe a great debt to those who paid the ultimate price for our freedom; maybe they will accept our respect and admiration.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 5:00:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I love this site all you guys are great.  Please go to the Hall of Heroes. Reply to bjames Post. Thank him and ask him how hes doing. The post is ...(Is the M16 ours)

Link Posted: 3/6/2002 6:09:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I love this site all you guys are great.  Please go to the Hall of Heroes. Reply to bjames Post. Thank him and ask him how hes doing. The post is ...(Is the M16 ours)

View Quote

I checked out his post but to be honest I can't understand what he is trying to say.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 6:12:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 7:22:08 AM EDT
[#11]
    I read the book,saw the movie yesterday, and did my combat tours 66-68 on the ground(199th LIB) and a a Huey doorgunner(187th AHC) 'slicks' and 'guns. I was both shot at, and shot, during my RVN tour's. I was not going to see the movie, because I had received an emotional E-mail from one of our 'slick'(UH-1D) pilots wife regarding the movie. I was feeling shitty yesterday, so I decided to punish myself...so I caught the film.
     My impression....The combat special effects were better than films past, but I expected that. The sounds of battle had my insides jumping at times. IMHO, as a whole the film failed to do tribute to the book. For me the most moving parts of the film, was what the wife's of the men had to go through, both together, and alone....that would explain our 'slick'(UH-1D) wife's emotional letter to me, regarding the film. So I have to ask myself, what did I miss, or what did you see that moved you ? Maybe I'm so numb about 'it', that it's impact and meaning was lost to me....
   Careful on dissing 'Stone'. He was there, my time. We supported his unit 22nd Inf. regiment, 25th Inf. Div. We were the first 'Gun' team on station the night of the battle of 'FSB Burt' 1/1/68 (a mutual agreed upon 'New Years Truce')the last battle scene in 'Platoon'. His portrayl of the American soldier was not fiction, like it or not. Guy's smoked dope, guys drank, guys risked their lives to 'get some'....we did what we had to do to survive, both on and off the battle field. BTW, no one I knew smoked or drank in the field, best way to go home in a box.

gib187th(Commie from Mass.)

PS: the helicopter scenes in 'We were Soldiers' were a joke, a bad joke...PPS: feel free to correct my grammar and syntax
Top Top