Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2002 11:46:24 PM EDT
Having been out of the saddle for a long time, I am now looking at bikes.

I stopped by the local HD dealer, figuring Winter to be a good time to get a deal.

So far, it looks like on of the Dynaglide models or a Sportster, or one of the Buells.
The Dynaglide seemed pretty heavy for me (under 180), but not impossibly so.  I really love the sound of the Harley, though there wasn't enough time to fire one up tonight.  Looks like all the Buells are on sale.

Earlier, I had looked at a Kawasaki KLR 650 thinking I wanted a degree of off-road capability while being OK for the freeway.  However, I decided that it was just too high off the ground for me (I'm well under 6 feet)

I have to say, I was shocked tonight to see nothing but glorified rubber belts driving the rear axle - since 1991, they said?

So have you guys got any recommendations for me?

And where do you go to check how good of a deal you're getting from the dealer?

One question about insurance - my first bike, I just bought a separate motorcyle insurance policy for it.  Right now, I'm paying through the nose already, due to a young son recently licensed.

Is my auto insurance going to skyrocket if I get a motorcycle-class endorsement on my driver's license?  Is it better to get the bike insurance separately, or add it on to the current auto policy?

Oh, yeah, somewhere here recently in a thread the subject came up of each company keeping a list of 'high risk' bikes which would make it very expensive.  Are the Buells and Harley's considered 'high risk'?  I'm not interested in going fast, I just want a nice ride.

Whaddya say?
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 11:54:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I only tip the scales at 160 and the largest of Harley's was easy to handle.  I drove a 1990's police model Hog carring my wife with no problem, so you should not shy away from the big bikes, unless you want more agility.  I understand that the belt drives are more reliabe and will last longer than the chain bikes, however I prefer the drive shaft of a Honda Shadow 1100.  The newest 88 cu in. Harely engine is supposed to run smoothly and should be a great ride for cruising.  My wife and I are looking to buy a Fat Boy in the near future.  Personally, I would stay away from the sportster, it is a bit small for long rides.  Just my .02
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:05:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks- I'll be taking a closer look tonight, maybe see their other location with the used bikes.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:13:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:21:43 AM EDT
[#4]
For your buck......  you may want to look at some of the big-bore models from the 'big four.'  Kawasaki would top my list with the 1500 Vulcan series, Honda also has some really nice iron.   Some companies consider Harley D's as high risk due to theft, (I've had two, both stolen!) Wait for a company sponsored ride and try a bunch.......  
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:37:29 AM EDT
[#5]
The rear belt drive on a Harley is a kevlar reinforced belt. It will outlast a chain by far.
I know of Harleys putting about 100 horsepower to the rear wheel running a belt with no problem. The belt drive is very low maintenance.

Some models COULD be considered sport bikes by your insurance Co. (Like a Buell or XLH 1200s)

My bike insurance is from a different compony than my auto insurance because I got a better deal that way.

As far as prices on bikes, just check with a few dealers in your area.. Some sell bikes for a lot more, or less than others.

My Road king is three years old and still has a book value of nearly what I paid for it.

NO jap bike can say that.

Hope to see you in the wind.

DAKING
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 4:52:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Opinions are like, ummm, well, you've heard this one.  "Everyone's got one."

Big cruisers generally aren't a problem for shorter people because they are low to the ground and have a low center of gravity.  I see more and more women riding big bikes.

Harleys are cool and retain their value, but once you get through with paying over twice what you'd pay for an equivalent Honda/Kawi/Suzi/Yamaha, and chipping in the extra for insurance, you might as well have taken the difference and invested it, you'd probably be farther ahead.

My auto company (Farmers) wouldn't insure my bike, so I have separate insurance for it.  I have a m/c endorsement on my d/l, it didn't do anything to my car insurance, nor did the fact I ride a bike.  'Course I may be too old for that stuff to matter, and I don't ride a crotch rocket.

See ya on the road.  Or at the range.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 5:01:17 AM EDT
[#7]
PRK,

Just to add my 2 cents, I have a 1996 FXDWG (Dyna WideGlide) with over 35000 miles and it's still going strong.

Not sure what kind of riding you plan to do, but the Dyna's are super all round rides.

At this point if I were to get a new bike, I'd have a hard time deciding between a Road King and a Electra Glide (That I would then strip down to just the batwing and bags...jammin out to that damn radio is just the coolest).

Link Posted: 3/5/2002 5:59:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I would defenitely recommend one of the Japanese variants in a big cruiser.

You get more bang for the buck and a more reliable bike. I'm sure there are plenty of HD owners that have "never had a problem"[rolleyes]
but eventually the HD will leave you stranded at some point in time.

I looked at the Buells for two years. Searched the internet for info on them and decided on a BMW. According to a rep at the MC show, Buell is going to discontinue the Cyclone, S3, and X1 after this year (one would bet they are tired of spending money in warranty related items). So, that would explain the sales. Not to mention...Have you checked resale value on these machines?

Link Posted: 3/5/2002 6:19:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is Harley's home page:
[url]http://www.harley-davidson.com/hd_main/hd_home.jsp[/url]

Just click on the "Products" button for details on any model.  You should be able to sit comfortably on any of them.  When you go to the home page click on the site map button & then go to "Compare Bikes" near the top, center of the page.  Then you can compare the FXDWG & the Sportsters.

The seat height on the Sportsters is actually rather high at 28 inches.  The gas tank on the Sportsters is only 3.3 gallons so you will only be able to get about 100 - 120 miles unless you really push it.  They are rated at 57hwy/48city but...

Worst case you can buy a fork lowering kit to lower the front forks & thereby the whole bike.  Also, I've seen a lot of "fat bobs", i.e., 5 gallon tanks, on Sportsters. I don't know the wrenching but it's probably pretty easy to drop them on.

For insurance try Dairyland.  They are part of Sentry Insurance.  They seem to be the most competitive.  Here is the address:[url]http://www.sentryonline.com/Motorcycle.html[/url].

I assume that you are in CA based on your handle.  You may want to try the HD dealer in Santa Barbara.  They used to be at 519 E. Gutierriez St.  Phone 805/564-1696.  I was dealing with them on a bike a few years ago & they would have delivered it to the Midwest cheaper than I could buy it from any of the local dealerships.

Go to the 100th anniversary in Milwaukee if you can.  The 95th was great!
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 6:34:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Heres a site for a cool bike maker some of you might have seen on the Discovery channel. www.westcoastchoppers.com They've made custom bikes for WWF's Goldberg, Shaquile O'neal and others and prices only start at about $60,000 a bike.HAHA. CAPITALIST
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 10:30:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Heres a site for a cool bike maker some of you might have seen on the Discovery channel. www.westcoastchoppers.com They've made custom bikes for WWF's Goldberg, Shaquile O'neal and others and prices only start at about $60,000 a bike.HAHA. CAPITALIST
View Quote

The owner is an arogant prick. I had a customer who had one of their rear fenders that cracked twice. Jessie wouldn't give me the time of day, one of the guys that worked for him took care of the problem. My customer finaly just replaced the fender with another mfg after it cracked for a third time.
As for the "glorified rubber drive belts" Three of the bikes I built used 113ci S&S engines (read monster motors) and I have had zero problems with kevelar final drive belts, so this won't be an issue.
As for the jap cruisers, they are fine. I know several people who ride them. Hey, just so long as you are in the wind, right?
What irritates the HELL out of me are the guys who ride jap cruisers that bash Harleys, but will go to the ends of the earth to have their bike look like "one of those pieces of junk"[rolleyes]
I had a guy bring me his Suzuki Intruder yesterday. He wanted the turn signals and light bar set up "Just like a Harley" then proceded to tell me how his bike was so much better. I just laughed.
To me, a bike is a bike. Ride several if you can, then decide what you like and what you can afford.
The most important thing is, ride safe and have fun.[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top