Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2002 11:33:25 AM EDT
Allstate just added a $1200/yr surcharge to my insurance because I have an Evil Black Bike (it's actually dark grey, but that's not the point).  2000 Honda CBR1100XX.  Progressive would be more.  Anyone out there who doesn't try to rape their clients who have clean driving records and a long history of not needing to file insurance claims?
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 12:30:02 PM EDT
[#1]
When I bought my RZ350 new in '85 it was on Dairyland's "bad" bike list so I went with Progressive. However a few years ago Dairyland added it to the "good" bike list. I'm back with Dairyland and have always had good luck with them. Although this may not help you out any seeings how you have an "evil" bike.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 12:33:22 PM EDT
[#2]
You must be young.  I am with Allstate, pay about $30/mo for insurance for a 2001 ZX-6R (I'm 26). Back when I was around 22 I was quoted like $3000/yr.  Yikes!  Needless to say, I went without it, which is not too smart but that's what I did.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Call 1 800 832 4449. It is the line for Harley Davidson Insurance, they use Progressive, Dairyland and Universal Underwriters.  They were over $600 cheaper than Allstate, who I have my house and 2 other vehicles with. Allstate sux ass!

[beer]
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:23:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the responses.  While I was on hold for Harley Davidson Insurance for about 15 minutes, GMAC insurance was referred by a friend with a Hayabusa (the bike that's faster than mine).  Ended up being $100 more for 3 bikes for a year than I would have been paying for 6 months with Allstate.

I'm almost 30, so it's not an age thing.  It's an arbitrary list of models that got a hefty surcharge.  All Honda CBR's were on the list.  I moved all my motorcycle insurance and let my agent know who I went with and why so she can let the company know that they're losing good customers over something stupid.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Give these folks a call: Markel American Insurance. I ride 750cc Cruiser that I bought new in 1997 and premiums are only a little over $200 a year for full coverage! Granted I just turned 40 and am married, but they are WAY MUCH LESS than any of the other guys, Allstate Geico, or even Progressive. When the bike was new and I was in my 30's the premium was only $380 a year, and I had a claim the third year as I dropped the bike in the garage & smashed the tank. The claim was paid in about 2 weeks, I simply faxed a quote from the dealer,and  they cut a check. Strange thing was I never saw an agent, nor did they even request a photo of the damage. Try this # - 1-800-236-2453. I'm sure your Evil Sportbike will be more but, they specialize in motorcycle & ATV insurance. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 5:53:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Progressive here.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 7:01:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Well,

If you have homeowners, a car, and a bike, and a SMART agent. You can get them under an umbrella policy with much lower rates. On a whim, I did call the big insurance companies to compare. None of them could even come close to what I pay now.

I have Farmers, and my 2000 BMW R1150GS is ~$700 / year! The same as my old POS '86 Mazda pickup. The funny part is that when I got the bike, the insurance company didn't have a listing for the model (bought it in 1999). So the agent just put it under a generic 1130cc motorcycle. Sweeeettt!! Low rates!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top