Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/18/2009 1:49:27 PM EDT
I'm going to be honest here. I love regular cab pickups. I don't think there is a better looking truck than a regular cab long bed. They have been the standard since the pickup truck was invented in the 1920's (I think thereabouts), but lately, it seems that they are falling out in favor of the extended and crew cabs with short beds. What's up with that? As long as it isn't a Chevy, the regular cabs have ample room for the 1-2 people a non family vehicle carries 95% of the time. The regular cab/long bed setup gives you the max open carrying space, while still being convenient to park and drive around town, not to mention the fact that the regular cabs are cheaper to buy.

I went on a road trip back in May, and from New York state to California, there were essentially no regular cab pickups. Sure, you saw the regular cab with the utility body, but even most flat bed style trucks (ranch beds or whatever they are called) were extended cabs or crew cabs. What do you put in all that extra space? It seems to me that New England (haven't really studied the rest of the east coast, or the south, for that matter) is like the last haven of the regular cab pickup. What's the deal? You go to dealerships, and you are lucky to find 1 regular cab for every 4 extended/crew cabs with tiny ass beds. I don't see how you can really use a pickup for what it was designed for if you can't fit more than a suitcase and a damn bowling ball in the bed, not to mention all the leather, 6 disk cd changer, ipod sync, sunroofs, and all that other bullshit they strap into these Escalades with a wheelbarrow welded to the back. I guess I just don't get it. I drive a regular cab Chevy now, and it is a bit cramped, but the Dodges, Fords, and new Toyota Tundras have tons of cab room, and I will be in one of the first 2 next, again, a regular cab.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 1:50:46 PM EDT
[#1]
3/10
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I just got rid of my regular cab.  I have two young children and it just doesn't fit my lifestyle.  I replaced mine with a small SUV.  I think that's what's going on, a lot of people have been spoiled by the big SUV's and short of work trucks there's just not a need.  And in many cases a crew cab truck is just not that much more than an reg cab.

I do agree though, a regular cab full size truck looks good.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Directly related to the decline in people who own 'trucks' to haul shit vs the number who think a big 6" lifted truck is 'cool' as a daily driver...
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 1:53:11 PM EDT
[#4]
A lot of people use the interior cab space for whatever now too. I need a pickup for moving lots of stuff, (like food bank for the church or boxes or furniture, but also things like amps, guitars, some musical gear I don't want in the bed, I have the extended cab. I would like more bed space, best would have been a long bed extended cab.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Directly related to the decline in people who own 'trucks' to haul shit vs the number who think a big 6" lifted truck is 'cool' as a daily driver...

I agree with this.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 1:56:46 PM EDT
[#6]
What do you put in all that extra space? Are you shittin' me?

How about a place to hang a jacket or to put a fucking toolset. How about if you want to bring guns to the range and don't want to leave them in the back?

Regular cab trucks are almost useless for most people. I drive one as a daily commuter and it would be great to have extra space behind the driver's seat.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Because the majority of the shit I haul around goes in the cab because I'd rather have it inside than outside. The bigger stuff that won't fit in the cab goes in the bed. If it's too big to fit in the bed then I load it up on a trailer.

Most things fit in the bed.

The real question is, who the hell wants a tiny little passenger compartment when bigger, nicer vehicles are available?
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 1:57:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a crew cab with a long bed. Best of both worlds. Wet stuff in the bed, dry stuff in the back. Seats fold up so that becomes dry hauling space for stuff that can't get soaked.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 1:58:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I think alot of people like being able to lean and move the seat back, as well. If I wanted to take a nap in my C20 I couldnt because the seat doesnt lean back
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Bingo!

Trucks have become a fashion accessory as a result of cheap gas and easy credit. This will, eventually, change. Even in Texas. Beans or no beans. :-)

/Thread

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:00:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:01:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No. An extended cab adds to the utility of a pickup truck.I can haul my shit and my kids. Amazingly, I have no use for a lift.

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I miss my old one, but it honestly was nothing more than a toy to play with.

For a daily driver, real user I'll stick with my new quad cab.

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:03:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What do you put in all that extra space? Are you shittin' me?

How about a place to hang a jacket or to put a fucking toolset. How about if you want to bring guns to the range and don't want to leave them in the back?

Regular cab trucks are almost useless for most people. I drive one as a daily commuter and it would be great to have extra space behind the driver's seat.

Which truck do you have? I have a '03 Dodge with a regular cab. There's a lot of space back there for guns and whatever. I can put a suitcase back there with room to spare.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:03:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I have no problem carrying anything over 6' in my short bed, but I would have a problem carrying more than 3 people without an extended cab. Since I bought my truck to carry stuff that fits in a short bed, it would be dumb to get a long bed. If I'm carrying a bike longer than 6' I leave the tailgate down.  Short bed, extended cab is the most versitile. Plus driving more than an hour or two with 3 in a short cab sucks.

Of course I'm one of those crazy folks who buys a vehicle based on my needs rather than the opinions of others.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:03:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Why are you crying about what other people drive? I personally drive a double cab tundra. It has nothing to do with looking cool. My last vehicle was a single cab ranger and found that having more than 1 other person in my truck was damn near impossible and it was about the most uncomfortable vehicles in the world. I have also ridden along with many people in their so called extended cab trucks and the back seats werent worth a damn. I decided that when it was time to get a new vehicle, comfort and passenger capacity were going to be concerns. I would have bought and SUV, something like a Tahoe or the like, but I do quite frequently have the need for the bed, be it moving furniture or grabbing hardware. I have a 6' long bed and most wood comes in 8' lengths. When sitting at an angle, they only hang out of the bed by a foot or so, so a short bed is okay for my purposes. You need to stop worrying about what everybody else drives. Maybe not everyones priorities are the same as yours when they buy a vehicle.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:04:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Exactly.  Although I will point out that in foreign countries where pickups get the living crap worked out of them almost 100% are crew cab, including the small hiluxes, rangers, and LUVs.  You can haul 8 TCNs to work in one, and still haul concrete and crap in the back.  

ETA:  I'm a big fan of the looks of the newer Chevy regular cab trucks.  Our loadmasters rolled around in one in Kuwait and it was a good looking pickup, all square and blocky.  

Extended cab long beds are a fucking nightmare to drive and to park, I hate them with a passion.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Regular cab would be useless for me.

I regularly have all 6 seatbelts occupied, or have the back seat full of stuff that can't be out in the weather or I dont' want to risk being stolen; it also makes for a great impromptu bed.

They look awesome––A lifted longbed diesel is a thing of beauty, but I don't think that they are as useful as an extended cab or 4-door truck.

imo.

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:05:53 PM EDT
[#19]
My F150 has the little suicide doors, with about 18"s of space behinde the front seat.  If you ever drive for more than an hour the option of being able to lay the seat back is nice if your 6'4". The old bench seats sucked, cause you had to have the seat pretty much verticle.  The space behind the seat is nice to hide stuff, that you dont want to leave in the bed.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I can think of no vehicle as functional in so many different ways as an extended cab pickup.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:06:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I have driven regular cabs for a long time as a contractor and finally went extended about eight years ago thenmade the jump to crew last year. I couldnt be happier with the space but I do wish I had gotten the long bed version.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:09:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I regularly have all 6 seatbelts occupied, or have the back seat full of stuff that can't be out in the weather or I dont' want to risk being stolen; it also makes for a great impromptu bed.

They look awesome––A lifted longbed diesel is a thing of beauty, but I don't think that they are as useful as an extended cab or 4-door truck.

imo.

Love the diesels. I want an F250 so bad I can smell the diesel smoke in the morning.....
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:10:16 PM EDT
[#23]
It's called "Family & Friends"...

If you had these, you would clearly understand why the standard cab pick up truck is going "buggy whip" these days...

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I f-ing hate reg cab trucks. I had a ford ranger xtended cab- not bad: I could recline the seats store stuff in the back and have things I didn't want frozen in the cab too. Now, my dodge ctd which I haul lots and lots of stuff with and tow all sorts of stuff with, is a regular cab and it sucks donkey balls for comfort: no reclining seats, no room for guns, and everything freezes in the back in the winter time. Wanna go on a long trip? Well, honey, one of us gets to sleep in the back with the stuff cause we can't doze in the reclined seats. Sucks. Gonna get another car to drive more and garage the truck 90% of the time. Reg cabs suck
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:10:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a wife and 5 children.  My crew cab is both my on call work vehicle, and my personal vehicle.  I need a triple cab with all the car seat requirments, and if one was offered as a standard item i would buy it.  It is a bit of a bear to park though.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

imo.

Love the diesels. I want an F250 so bad I can smell the diesel smoke in the morning.....

2006 Crewcab longbed Chevy 4x4 2500HD, w/ the Duramax and Allison... Do want. Do want long time.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I spent lots of years driving the regular cab trucks, and had all the problems mentioned above. (Packing people side by side for long drives, anywhere we stopped we had to take the gear out of the bed and stack it on the seat even if wet, difficult to sleep in, can't lean back etc.).
 With my Supercab I can put lots of stuff in the back seat and leave it there, rather than having it in the bed exposed to thieves, weather, deer blood etc.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:19:46 PM EDT
[#28]
I have an extended cab Tacoma, by far the most useful vehicle I have ever had. The extra space in the back is great for all sorts of storage/transport. My truck serves two duties, hobby farm truck and a commuter vehicle for the winter season. Let me tell you for commuting it is awesome to have extra space. My daily driver is a subcompact sedan.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:24:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I wouldn't buy one. I hate not having any interior storage space.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:26:18 PM EDT
[#30]
i drive an 04 tundra single cab long bed every day.  with my current trailer and the long bed i can move everything i own in a single trip.  i'm working on getting a friend to sell me his 12x6 box trailer that will hold everything inside it.

i dont have a wife or kids so the whole no back seat space doesnt bother me much.  my tool box holds most of my crap and my BOB rides shotgun most days.  eventually i think i want to put a camper on it when i can get that new trailer.  i'd turn the bed into a rolling office/home away from home for me.

unlike some, i work my truck.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:31:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. An extended cab adds to the utility of a pickup truck.I can haul my shit and my kids. Amazingly, I have no use for a lift.

I never said EVERYONE who buys a truck is in the 2nd group...

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:31:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

extended cab with a long bed killed the RC.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#33]
I've had both.

Guess which one sucked?   The standard cab.

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:35:24 PM EDT
[#34]
I have an extended cab, and a 6 inch lift.

I like being about to move the seat back and recline on a long road trip if I pull over and take a break.

The lift is a complete suspension replacement as I am adding more weight to the rig overall.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:38:54 PM EDT
[#35]
I've owned both regular cab and extended cab trucks... and after having both, I don't think I'll ever buy another regular cab again.

The extended cab allows for better seating and legroom...  which means I can actually get comfortable on a long trip instead of feeling like I'm sitting on a barstool with a window against the back of my head.

My current truck is an extended cab and is as comfortable as a Caddy.

It pulls a race car trailer pretty well too...  the extended wheelbase makes a huge difference when towing. Obviously it's no dually, but it's a good compromise between comfort and utility.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#36]
I have had 3 regular cab trucks.... Fuck regular cab, they have no space.. cannot even recline, nowhere to put stuff..

What I want is a full sized van with a full sized truck bed behind it
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:42:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have had 3 regular cab trucks.... Fuck regular cab, they have no space.. cannot even recline, nowhere to put stuff..

What I want is a full sized van with a full sized truck bed behind it

Or a Suburban with an 8ft bed behind it.

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:45:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Until this year, I had one. I thought it was a collector's item. As a matter of fact, back in '03 when i bought it, I got a super deal on it because nobody wanted anything less than extended cab. It sat 120 days so it was heavily discounted.
I picked up an  '09 extended cab XLT this April. What I do notice, is that I'm still a minority. Most everyone here has a full four door pick up. You see one extended cab for every 5-6 four door pick ups here.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#39]
I really like the looks of the 4 door pick-up with the short bed, & have thought about upgrading to one from my 95 extended cab Ford. I have a 16' flatbed utility trailer if I need to haul anything to big for the bed of my current truck or a "new to me" 4 door truck.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#40]
I think one problem with the perception of regular cab fans is that they forget that not everyone who needs a truck, uses it only as a truck. I can't justify the expense of a car and a truck. So mine has to haul tools and parts as well as kids and groceries. Having a dedicated work truck would be nice, but a needless expense if my equipment hauler can do double duty as a people hauler.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:51:37 PM EDT
[#41]
I hate regular cab and I also hate long bed.

Looks like shit.

That said , I own a POS 97 F-150 LONG BED, REGULAR CAB

Cant wait till about 10 years from now when the economy might be done being shitty so I can get a real truck.

F-150 Crew cab 4X4
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Holy shit!!  I agree with Dave A. on something!

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Try finding extended cab long bed. getting rare.

I like my reg cab long bed gmc. the only drawback is when i have to drive my 2 or 3 laborers to the job.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Ignoring the lack of space, regular cab trucks look horrible!

I have a 2003 7.3 liter F250, crew cab with the short box. Truck is AWESOME.  I almost never carry more than two people so I have the rear seat removed. This provides ample space for my GSD
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 2:56:53 PM EDT
[#45]
I stepped up to a crew-cab pickup and I love it. It's way more useful than either the standard-cab or the SUV I previously owned.

I need to be able to carry 4-5 passenger at times, and I use the hell out of the bed of the truck. I have no problem throwing several hundred pounds of tree trunks or construction materials back there.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 3:03:50 PM EDT
[#46]
I drive a crew cab long bed as my daily driver.. I always haul people around so the standard cab wont do... But I have several standard cab chevy trucks currently that I would call "toys", they're fun for short periods of time.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 3:05:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Call me weird but I don't like being cramped up and I like being able to secure my tools and firearms and carrying an extra person in a pinch. Extended cabs made the regular cab obsolete, IMO.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 3:08:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I disagree,

Directly attributed to the number of low life scum who think anything not behind a locked door is free game.......years ago you could leave shit in the back of your truck and it would be there whenever you returned.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 3:13:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Having a crew cab is great.  I have my tools in there, spare parts in case I need one, I can haul my guns in there (I wouldn't be ok with tossing them in an uncovered bed), I can haul extra people (when my mother came down, it was nice being able to take her out instead of making her drive everywhere), and when we get ready to move again I can stuff my shit into the bed and my pets into the backseat.

It's the SLE edition and all I pretty much have in terms of bells and whistles is a CD player.  Ooh.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Just check off the option box for a regular cab!

I'm still pissed I cant get a 4WD Dodge with a Hemi & a manual transmission!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top