Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2002 12:30:37 PM EDT
Has anybody bought a CETME from SOG??   How was the quality???
I can get a good deal from my Dealer through SOG and want to know if they sell good stuff or crap...

Some of the problems with the CETMEs are, the Mags stick, or are hard to remove, and the take down pins in the stock stick so that you almost have to tak a sledge hammer to remove them...

Give me your good and bad comments...

BISHOP
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 1:06:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Bishop,

I've looked at some at the shop.  The ones I hefted had cast and not sheet metal receivers.  I made the mistake of buying one of those laundered G3's on a cast receiver when they first appeared.  So, I didn't give the CETME a fair inspection.  But personally I'd rather put my money into AR's.
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#2]
MORE INFO..
These are the CETMES with the Century Sheet metal recievers not the CAST aluminum ones...
SO they look good.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Sheet metal?  Sweet.  How much are they asking?  Ammo is generally cheap and CETME mags are REALLY cheap.

Link Posted: 2/28/2002 2:03:30 PM EDT
[#4]
SOG is selling them for less than $400... CAn't really remember what the exact price, but after shipping and a VERY small dealer profit ([B]VERY SMALL[/B]) its still under $400.

BISHOP
Link Posted: 2/28/2002 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you guys really still buying CAI guns? Have you not learned?
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 12:52:44 PM EDT
[#6]
OK SteyrAUG, Educate me...
Something wrong with the Century recievered CETME kits???
Tell me all...  
Are they worth buying at under $400 total???
I may have some replacement parts for it in the future...

BISHOP
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I have recieved my CETME from SOG....
Let me just say that I have seen better welding in a High School shop project.
EVERYTHING on the (Century) reciever is bent or crooked, or actually welded crooked.
The trigger pack doesn't match very well with the rest of the gun, the take down pins need a hammer to remove, the front handguard doesn't seem to want to remove, even after unscrewing the screw it still doesn't completely come out so I can remove the wood, AND there was a tag on the trigger guard that said (at the bottom)

[b]"All used or surplus firearms should be inspected by a gunsmith prior to shooting as SOG has no testing facility"[/b]
YET they sell NEWLY built guns they still can't voucher for the safeness of them...I am going to [i]TRY[/i] to shoot this tomorrow (Saturday), wish me luck as the Head spaceing on the bolt and carrier doesn't look that tight......

What do you guys think I should I do?
I like a project, but I don't want to be screwed by SOG that states in their AD for the CETME "Superior quality" and I got maginal or reject.
I have bought a G3 parts kit to fuck with along with the CETME..lets see what parts are compatible, I already know that the collaspeable stock [b]IS[/b] even without the use of the dremil tool...But of corse that would be illegal to mount that stock on the reciever...but hey it fits.....

BISHOP
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#9]
SteyrAUG told you dude.

You could have bought an FAL for a little bit more and had a better rifle.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 9:07:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 3:31:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Like many of you I've read the posts of bad experiences some have had.  I bought one of the first CAI cast stainless CETMEs I saw (ser # C002XX) and have been very happy.  Everything on it looked brand new and the finish was flawless.  Operation has been 100% right out of the box. I installed HK synthetic furniture with a long, wide forearm and consider it one of the best buys I've ever made.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 5:57:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I did just contact SOG, myself. I want one so bad I can taste it but I'm not interested in paying even a nickel for a pile of junk.

SOG said they are built on Hesse receivers. $10 for hand select. They don't check bores.

I haven't actually seen one YET!!! Keep expecting to see some at gunshows. Even considered buying several to sell at gunshows. I guess I wouldn't buy one without getting my hands on it first, though. Same as the rest of CAI's crap.

The G3 is awesome. Probably just wait until I can afford the real thing.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 7:56:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I made the mistake of buying one of these CETME's from SOG a while back.  I got extremely lucky!!  Mine looks good, shoots straight, everything fits together like it should, and you don't need a hammer to move the cocking hammer back.  My rifle seems to be the exception to the rule.  My friends shot 18" to the left.  My other friend also bought one, it was a total POS, the mags would not fit, and it had looked like a 12 year old assembled it.

I have heard stories of the blind pin from the muzzle break protruding into the barrel, and just poor workmanship all around.  The newer rifles are supposed to be better, but I would never buy one again.  Mine has the Hessie receiver.

[img]http://bob.msiunix.com/webpictures/cetme1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://bob.msiunix.com/webpictures/cetme2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://bob.msiunix.com/webpictures/cetme3.jpg[/img]

[img]http://bob.msiunix.com/webpictures/cetme4.jpg[/img]

If you look long enough, you will eventually find one worth a damm, or at least I did.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 9:45:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I shot the gun today.......
I think it was shooting to the left I'm not sure if it was me or the gun, I only had 20rds.
GOOD NOTE:  It didn't explode or come apart in my hands, but I also did slow steady shots wait until I "Rambo" it.

I'm thinking about refinishing the wood, replacing the rear paddle site with a HK barrel set-up (like macloud has), rewelding some of the reciever(fixing up some things) and replacing the trigger pack with a G3 3 pos pack.
I'll have to weld in a new piece of metal beneith the mag release button and drill a hole for the G3 pack. THEN refinish the rifle... THEN I might have something to look at...

BISHOP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top