Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2009 5:33:00 PM EDT
My wife is traveling to visit family in upstate NY. She is bringing a pump action shotgun for defense. (She will be purchasing ammo in NY and leaving it there with a family member when she leaves.) I'm not concerned about her flying with the firearm. It is legal where she lives and her destination. (upstate has different laws than NYC). However on her return flight she has a 2 hour layover @ JFK.

I have heard horror stories about gun owners getting arrested from flights diverted to NYC, but all the stories I have read about were hand gun related. I know upstate has no registration requirements for long guns, but I think NYC does.

I have confirmed with the airline that during the layover she will not have to claim her baggage and then re-check it.

The airline has assured me that there will be no problem, as it is not an "assault weapon" and not a hand gun, and that it would be in a locked hardsided case and not in her posession. Has anyone done something similar? Any problems? Any tips?

Another question. Is there an insurance policy she can get that will pay for the firearm if it is stolen/lost by the airline?

ETA: She is leaving the ammo there not the shotgun.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 5:40:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a lawyer.  Just a former resident of both the city and the state.

You are correct that NY State has no long arm registration.  But the City does.

Since it's a layover and she will not have access I "think" it should be gtg.

Also, I wouldn't say she is leaving the shot gun there.  That would be considered a transfer. hint hint.

Link Posted: 12/16/2009 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#2]
So if say I'm flying somewhere, and my flight happens to get diverted or have a layover in nyc and I have my checked ccw or ar, I could be arrested? What if that said flight has mechanical problems or weather problems and I have to stay the night?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

My wife is traveling to visit family in upstate NY. She is bringing a pump action shotgun for defense. (She will be purchasing ammo in NY and leaving it there with a family member when she leaves.) I'm not concerned about her flying with the firearm. It is legal where she lives and her destination. (upstate has different laws than NYC). However on her return flight she has a 2 hour layover @ JFK.

I have heard horror stories about gun owners getting arrested from flights diverted to NYC, but all the stories I have read about were hand gun related. I know upstate has no registration requirements for long guns, but I think NYC does.

I have confirmed with the airline that during the layover she will not have to claim her baggage and then re-check it.

The airline has assured me that there will be no problem, as it is not an "assault weapon" and not a hand gun, and that it would be in a locked hardsided case and not in her posession. Has anyone done something similar? Any problems? Any tips?

Another question. Is there an insurance policy she can get that will pay for the firearm if it is stolen/lost by the airline?

Common Carrier exemption and US FOPA 86 protection....

Baggage in the custody of the airline is no different than packages in a FedEx truck....

Link Posted: 12/16/2009 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm not a lawyer.  Just a former resident of both the city and the state.

You are correct that NY State has no long arm registration.  But the City does.

Since it's a layover and she will not have access I "think" it should be gtg.

Also, I wouldn't say she is leaving the shot gun there.  That would be considered a transfer. hint hint.

I read it that way at first, then I think I realized he means the ammo....

AFARR
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 5:47:28 PM EDT
[#5]
You are going to jail.

Watch your cornhole, bud.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Clarification: She is leaving the AMMO in NY with family. She doesn't want the added hassle of traveling with the ammo. She wants HER gun home with her when she leaves. Hell I'm not even allowed to touch it (her gun) unless I get permission.

I THINK she will be ok too. I am just looking for anyone who has actually done a layover in NYC with long-guns checked in the baggage, as NYC is so antigun crazy, it makes me nervous.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 5:50:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 5:52:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So if say I'm flying somewhere, and my flight happens to get diverted or have a layover in nyc and I have my checked ccw or ar, I could be arrested? What if that said flight has mechanical problems or weather problems and I have to stay the night?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I don't want to get this too off topic, but I have read at least 2 articles over the years from keepandbeararms.com that described that exact senario happening. Plane had mechanical problems. Person flying from A to B with NO scheduled layover at NYC got diverted there and people got arrested for having a handgun in NYC and no NYC permit for it, this is why I'm a bit paranoid. I don't want her to have problems, and she wants a means of self defense while there.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I dont care what the laws are. There could be problems. Se is going to take possesion of it in NYC. By that I take thats where her flight ends. Then ground to somwhere else in NYS. My wife worked for TWA for 20 years and there where a lot of horror stories. While leagal they still pulled shit. The least was keeping the gun. How much are you willing to spend to prove yourself right and get it back? Have her mail it to herself at the realative home with adult signature. A lot less trouble.

To give you an example she called NY to ask about a handgun. They wanted to know the name and fight so they could arrest him. Didnt care about anything else.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Baggage in the custody of the airline is no different than packages in a FedEx truck....

Does not apply in NYC.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:10:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I dont care what the laws are. There could be problems. Se is going to take possesion of it in NYC. By that I take thats where her flight ends. Then ground to somwhere else in NYS. My wife worked for TWA for 20 years and there where a lot of horror stories. While leagal they still pulled shit. The least was keeping the gun. How much are you willing to spend to prove yourself right and get it back? Have her mail it to herself at the realative home with adult signature. A lot less trouble.

To give you an example she called NY to ask about a handgun. They wanted to know the name and fight so they could arrest him. Didnt care about anything else.

She is flying departing from Upstate, then a layover in NYC, finally Landing in FL. I called the airline and she will not claim any checked baggage until she lands in FL.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Does not apply in NYC.

Yes it does

Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:16:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Does not apply in NYC.

Yes it does

I've been here long enough to recall numerious threads where someone was passing through NYC and was arrested for having a firearm which isin clear violation of FOPA.

Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:17:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Not worth the risk.  Bloomberg uses his personal police force as he likes, and that may well include stealing a weapon, and jailing the sucker who owns it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Don't you have a rather long thread going in the NY HTF on this very issue?

You are going to get far better answers there than in GD

But they will not be as fun.

Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:19:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Does not apply in NYC.

Yes it does

I hope your lawyers are better than Bloomberg's, when he owns the courts too.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:21:45 PM EDT
[#17]
As long as it stays in teh custody of the airlines and she does not access it durring the layover the man is not involved
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Clarification: She is leaving the AMMO in NY with family. She doesn't want the added hassle of traveling with the ammo. She wants HER gun home with her when she leaves. Hell I'm not even allowed to touch it (her gun) unless I get permission.

I THINK she will be ok too. I am just looking for anyone who has actually done a layover in NYC with long-guns checked in the baggage, as NYC is so antigun crazy, it makes me nervous.

Let me guess,her guns are HER guns,your guns are OUR guns!
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I've been here long enough to recall numerious threads where someone was passing through NYC and was arrested for having a firearm which isin clear violation of FOPA.

Passing through in your car in one thing.  Airline is a totally different world.  If she cant access it during the lay over she is GTG.

Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Bloomberg is a megalomaniacal douche cock,that is all.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:35:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Why would anyone post on a forum asking about something like this?

Your could be getting answers from a 14 year old  or someone who doest like you.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Keep the gun in a locked case, retain the key. Not a transfer.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 6:38:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me guess,her guns are HER guns,your guns are OUR guns!

Yup that is the only thing that is clear.

I appreciate the responses, yes Bloomberg is a dick. But I'm wondering if anyone here has actually done this; flying from A to B with a layover in NYC with a longgun?

I'm beginning to just think it would be easier to have her ship it to herself back home.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 7:23:28 PM EDT
[#24]
i wouldn't fly thru NYC, NJ at all......no matter what.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 7:56:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Does not apply in NYC.

Yes it does

Yes there and in NJ also just be careful IF travel is interrupted for any reason in NYC DO NOT take possession of the checked luggage -it may be legal it may not be but you don't want a port authority or NYC police officer deciding to arrest her and let the court sort it out ––as has happened many times. It would take months and thousands of dollars to clear your name and then you might not get the shotgun back for many many more months and who knows what condition it will be in IF you ever see it agian.  Acommon tactic is to eventually let the individual go or try and get them to plea down to minor charges ( to get it to go away) and then stall and confuse till the owner gives up on the firearm.
Link Posted: 12/16/2009 8:07:35 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

i wouldn't fly thru NYC, NJ at all......no matter what.

I've heard mind-bending stories about Port Authority cops.

If I were bringing weapons, I think I'd work hard at finding routes that didn't involve NYC or Newark:  Albany, Stewart . . .

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Agree 100%...

there was a story of a fella from out west travelling thru, laid over in Newark NJ, and PA cops put him in jail
for 5 days. his pistol was a CCW piece, but stowed underneath , locked , etc.

it turned into a big deal, not sure of the exact outcome. i know FFL dealers that go nowhere near
mentioned states.
just don't.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 4:08:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Why not just have her ship the gun to herself?

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#shipping-firearms-additional

Would be the easiest, and avoids stupid NYC Laws.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 4:13:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Avoid NYC and its Sullivan Law  at all costs, the cops will arrest you for possession of a non-NYC non-registered weapon...if it is a connecting flight you are GTG
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does not apply in NYC.

Yes it does

That maybe the case but I don't have the $$$ to defend myself against NYC

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:29:31 PM EDT
[#31]
I fly jetblue, and southwest connecting flights through the nyc airports all the time with handguns, never a problem.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 9:16:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I fly jetblue, and southwest connecting flights through the nyc airports all the time with handguns, never a problem.
Connecting, yes....stopping, be prepared for a bad day.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top