Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2002 10:17:25 PM EDT
My wife and I are planing on buying a home in the next 18 months, and we are both reluctant to start our own family in New York State (high taxes, astronomical housing prices, oppressive gun laws, etc...).

New Hampshire seems like it might be a good choice for us, because it is still close enough so that we can visit our families and friends without to much travel and hassle.

I guess my question is what are your general impressions of the state. How is the economy up there?  What are housing and land prices like?  Are there any good (conservative) Grad schools that you could recommend?  How do the various regions of the state differ in terms of attitudes?

You know... could a transplanted New Yorker lay down roots in New Hampshire, and be happy???

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Link Posted: 2/27/2002 5:49:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I went to school there and lived there for a while aferwards and it is a nice place to live but you need to get up there and move around a bit and check things out for yourself.  There is a tremendous amount of difference in look and feel to the place depending where you settle.  The lower part of the state is where most of the population is and a lot of  people there work in Mass.   A tranplanted NY'er would probably fit in easily there but the further north you go the more rurual it gets and the more likely you will need to quickly accquire a NH accent, if you know what I mean.  The standard of living there is not the same as here in NY.  NH had no sales tax and funds its systems with state liquor sales and lotteries.  If your employment situation is taken care of then you should be able to  choose a location up there you are comfortable with but I'd go up and do a lot of scouting first.  I lived there for many years and still go back to visit but I am much happier back here on Long Island, but thats just my opinion.
Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 6:18:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/27/2002 6:49:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top