Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2002 4:13:00 AM EDT
Did a virus scan and came up with a corrupted file- wonder if anyone can e-mail it to me.  I have no easy way to access a good copy.  Windows 98 operating system- file name is KERNEL32.EXE  and is found in the Windows system folder.  Thanks for the help [8P]
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 3:11:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Can't someone help with this??
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 3:18:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Doesn't show up on my machine...(we're running NT.)

I do show a kernel32.dll though...
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 3:21:37 AM EDT
[#3]
There is a hidden folder, I believe called sysbackup. Look for it (probably under c:\windows). It might contain a backup of kernel32.exe- it should be there. Then I would go to "Windows Update" and download some service packs to verify Kernel32 is updated.

My question is, is how are you still running your computer without Kernel32? or are you?

Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:10:48 AM EDT
[#4]
There should not be a file KERNEL32 with an EXE extension on your machine.  As stated earlier there should be one with the dll extension.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 7:54:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There should not be a file KERNEL32 with an EXE extension on your machine.  As stated earlier there should be one with the dll extension.
View Quote

If its an EXE, it could be a trojan....
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 1:03:41 PM EDT
[#6]
The kernel32.exe file is a trojan virus created by the BadTrans worm virus.  Here's what you what to do:

-Find your win.ini file and open it with notepad.  Under the line that shows "load=" make sure kernel32.exe is not listed there.  If it is delete kernel32.exe and save your win.ini file

-Go into your windows registry.  If you are not comfortable with this, find someone who is and search for kernel32.exe.  If you find it, delete it.

Now restart the computer in DOS mode.  There are three files along with kernel32.exe that are created by Badtrans that you should find and get rid of (protocol.dll, kdll.dll and cp_25389.nls), you should do a search on your computer and make a note of where these files are (most likely c:\windows\system) and delete them when you've rebooted into DOS mode.

If you're talking about the kernel32.dll file than disregard the above.  Send me an email and I'll be happy to send you a copy of the file.  However, I don't know how you're getting into windows without your kernel32.dll file.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#7]
kernel32.exe is a virus.  just delete it and search again
the real kernel32 is a dll
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top