Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2009 5:28:45 PM EDT
I know, we all hate taxes but I need some help on this one. 90+ year old Mother in Law just sold some ground that she's owned all her life. She is at the point that she wants to give my wife and her two sisters as much as she can so a nursing home doesn't get it someday down the road. How much can she give as a gift to each child and spouse as a gift that the IRS won't tax? Would we have to pay tax on her gift? I'll give the lady credit to think of giving it to her kids instead of a nursing home
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#1]

The gifting limit is $13K per individual.  

So if you have kids or are married: your spouse, you and your children $13K apiece.

They can then turn around and gift it to your ro you could gift it back and round and round.

Editied to add since you question is longer.

your mother is taxed above the 13K limit, she bares the burden.

It's a gift, you don't pay a tax.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#2]
you can gift up to 13K tax free (or at least you could a few years ago). Find a good tax accountant.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:43:55 PM EDT
[#3]
13k each on 12/31/09 and another 13k each on 1/1/10

Thats the way to do it.  Just right separate checks dated as above.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#4]
How soon until your MIL goes into a nursing home?  She needs to be careful not to screw herself w/ an "improper transfer".
http://www.elderlawanswers.com/elder_info/elder_article.asp?id=2751
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top