Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2009 2:03:41 PM EDT
My SO just yelled for me to come help her with something, and the power cord caught on the footrest of my recliner.  The resulting sudden stop made me drop it from about 4 feet...

It's an ACER Aspire, which usually isn't known for super toughness.  I'm still using it to type this message, but I'm sure dozens of you will reply to tell me it's only a matter of time until it will die...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:04:22 PM EDT
[#1]
ur screwed
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:04:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Blame her.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:05:22 PM EDT
[#3]
if it still works, what makes you think it will stop working?  
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's an ACER Aspire, which usually isn't known for super toughness.  I'm still using it to type this message, but I'm sure dozens of you will reply to tell me it's only a matter of time until it will die...

Dude, it's an ACER... the doomsday clock started ticking even BEFORE it was assembled...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude, it's an ACER... the doomsday clock started ticking even BEFORE it was assembled...

This
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:13:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quick, pour a 2 liter of diet soda on it!
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Blame her.

+!
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:14:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

I've actually had pretty good luck with their junk.  I think they are the Model One of computer hardware...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:14:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Magsafe is a good thing
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:16:29 PM EDT
[#10]
thats better than the strap of your bag slipping off your shoulder to your elbow, and the laptops corner barely hitting the ground. Opening it up to see a crack from corner to corner across the screen Still use it just has a big black line running across it
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
thats better than the strap of your bag slipping off your shoulder to your elbow, and the laptops corner barely hitting the ground. Opening it up to see a crack from corner to corner across the screen Still use it just has a big black line running across it

Yeah, kinda creepy but it might be working even BETTER now!  lol

"knocks on wood"
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:18:44 PM EDT
[#12]
my macbook dropped about two feet, and it was fine
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:20:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Reinstall Windows ME, it should fix your problem.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Hard drive failure in 3...2...1....

-X
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:23:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hate to break this to you, but all computer manufacturers are now sourcing their parts from the same half dozen plants in China.  In fact, most of the parts between manufacturers laptops are identical except for branding.  I had to order a bezel for a Dell notebook the other day, and I could get that part branded Dell, HP, Compaq, E-Machines or with no brand at all.  And they all came from the same factory in China.

The main killer in modern notebooks is heat.  They're built to be slim and quiet, push one hard and it will overheat fast. When that happens the substandard boards, chips and solder joints go bad fast.  And it only takes one overheat and that computer will be flakey for the rest of it's life.  I've got a fucking pile of them in my work room, some only a week out of warranty.  One of them, a $1200 HP had it's nVidia graphics chip fail.  There was a known bad batch of chips.  nVidia, being a reputable company, paid HP a large sum of money to fix every notebook with a failed nVidia graphics chip.  HP took nVidia's money and decided not to fix any that were out of the 1 year warranty.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:24:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Sorry man.

My wife's Mac laptop has a magnetic power connection for this type of situation, pulls right off if tugged.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:25:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Hate to break this to you, but all computer manufacturers are now sourcing their parts from the same half dozen plants in China.  In fact, most of the parts between manufacturers laptops are identical except for branding.  I had to order a bezel for a Dell notebook the other day, and I could get that part branded Dell, HP, Compaq, E-Machines or with no brand at all.  And they all came from the same factory in China.

The main killer in modern notebooks is heat.  They're built to be slim and quiet, push one hard and it will overheat fast. When that happens the substandard boards, chips and solder joints go bad fast.  And it only takes one overheat and that computer will be flakey for the rest of it's life.  I've got a fucking pile of them in my work room, some only a week out of warranty.  One of them, a $1200 HP had it's nVidia graphics chip fail.  There was a known bad batch of chips.  nVidia, being a reputable company, paid HP a large sum of money to fix every notebook with a failed nVidia graphics chip.  HP took nVidia's money and decided not to fix any that were out of the 1 year warranty.

I know... this thing is an Athlon box.  I really need to get a laptop cooler for it before I roach it...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Yep....shame you didn't have a Mac.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:26:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My macbook has a magnetic power cord that easily pulls away if it gets caught on something or someone trips over it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I re-manufacture those so I doubt that you did anything worse that what I have seen come through the doors before.

Some of their models are pretty nice, others...not so much.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:34:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Someone tripped on my wifes notebook cord and brought it to the ground. All is fine except the port where the blug goes into the PC is a bit messed up but it is still connected internally and making a connection...for now

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Someone tripped on my wifes notebook cord and brought it to the ground. All is fine except the port where the blug goes into the PC is a bit messed up but it is still connected internally and making a connection...for now

I know, I'm totally paranoid about my cord usually... I've seen more laptops with fucked up power ports...
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:43:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I dropped mine chest high on to concrete, landed on the left rear corner, cracked the case, still works.

Jane

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:48:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I've dropped/dumped my HP laptop about once a year, for the 4 years I've owned it now. It's not as pretty as it once was, buy everything still works great. YMMV, but if it's working now, you are probably safe.

....until the next time you drop it at least.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:50:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Dibs on your RAM....
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:09:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Sorry man.

My wife's Mac laptop has a magnetic power connection for this type of situation, pulls right off if tugged

"Oooh look at me, I have a laptop with a mag safe power adapter"  

I hate macs, but I actually think the magnetic ac adapter is a pretty nifty idea'r

You can usually get away with the hard drive not being damaged in a fall if its not reading/writing data at the time, or if its turned of or standby/hibernate. SSD is coming, we'll all be safe then
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:29:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I like my Toughbook,  I can toss it down the driveway.      Seriously though,  i've dropped a few,  it is possible that it may have shortened the life of the harddrive....  if it is a standard drive and not solid state.  both are easy to replace if needed.  The other thing that is not so easy to replace,  (since you got tangled in it)  Make sure you didn't damage the a/c adapter plug on the laptop, I've fixed a few of those,  they are NOT fun to fix.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:05:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Apple's MagSafe power connector is fucking awesome. Been through quite a few power supplies and several DC input board repairs on quite a few laptops in the past.

Not a pleasant thing to deal with, but it beats the hell out of other problems - my iBook G4 dropped in a bad kind of way. The noise it made, I thought the screen or the hinges had broken, but it was fine - except for the kernel panic. The impact was enough to make the hard drive crash, I managed to keep it running for about a week by formatting it to half capacity until I could get my hands on a new hard drive. Disassembling a laptop is quite an adventure - but an iBook will drive you insane.

My MacBook Pro has had a few disconcerting drops, but the Sudden Motion Sensor parks the hard drive to prevent that sort of accident. Which is a good thing, from what I've seen in the repair manual, the MBP is probably worse to take apart than the iBook.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:07:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

My SO just yelled for me to come help her with something, and the power cord caught on the footrest of my recliner.  The resulting sudden stop made me drop it from about 4 feet...

Is it ironic that your user name is "the great snag"?

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#30]
How do you spell shit without using s,h,i or t?  ACER or DELL.

Love my toughbook CF-19.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:34:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Should have bought a

I'm on a surplus CF-28 right now. (<$250 total cost!) I love not having to worry about it, though it would be nice if I could watch hulu.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I strongly urge you to back up anything important before you shut it down... I did this a couple weeks ago and everything appeared fine immediately afterwards - however on the next boot it blue screened and never came back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top