Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2009 2:55:25 PM EDT
I got this here Dell, aint nothin but trouble It's running Windows Xp ver 2004 with all the dell crap on it anyways it's slow and unresponsive and pretty much stays that way, no viruses detected with Pc cillin. I wonder if getting Widows 7 would be worth while I'd like to get all that dell crap off of it so an upgrade from dell is not an option.
I've heard some of these upgrades don't work on dells unless you get it from dell. So I'm thinking about formating the drive and getting a full version of windows 7 or should I just the whole puter and get a Mac?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:01:51 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I got this here Dell, aint nothin but trouble It's running Windows Xp ver 2004 with all the dell crap on it anyways it's slow and unresponsive and pretty much stays that way, no viruses detected with Pc cillin. I wonder if getting Widows 7 would be worth while I'd like to get all that dell crap off of it so an upgrade from dell is not an option.

I've heard some of these upgrades don't work on dells unless you get it from dell. So I'm thinking about formating the drive and getting a full version of windows 7 or should I just

the whole puter and get a Mac?

It would work, but win7 would be a bit slow on hardware that old.* Reinstalling Windows XP would be my first move before buying a new computer.

*If it is in fact from 2004. Your post kinda lacks details.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:27:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Not W7.  You don't have enough hardware.  

Just re-install XP and it should get fast real quick - and cheap.  Use free CCLEANER from http://www.ccleaner.com but when you install, DO NOT install the Yahoo toolbar crap.  Just accept the defaults for everything when you install and when you run it.  

The software is EXCELLENT.  Run the cleaner, then fix your registry.  You can also stop the automatic startup of a BUNCH of crap that inserts itself and wastes CPU.  Just be sure of what you are disabling.  A couple of things are from Windows and are necessary.

We use it on ALL PCs here, 30 or so, and it really makes a difference.

ALSO, if you want to see HOW FAST it CAN run, try free SPARKLEXP, which installs another "user" on the system where NONE of the unnecessary crap loads.  Get it at http://download.cnet.com/SparkleXP/3000-2094_4-10730157.html.  It will give you some idea of what the PC can do when reloaded.  Even better if you run it AFTER cleaning the system with CCLEANER.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've heard some of these upgrades don't work on dells unless you get it from dell. So I'm thinking about formating the drive and getting a full version of windows 7 or should I just the whole puter and get a Mac?

That's your problem right there. Scrub it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Let's see it has an intel core 2  2.13 ghz and 2 gig of ram might that be big enough for win 7?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top