Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/2/2009 2:47:01 PM EDT
A lot of schools around the area are reporting students are absent in large numbers. One school reportedly has 20% of its student body out for 'flu like symptoms'. If it hits the 25% marker, they shut down the school.

A lot of people I know are getting sick, and they are healthy people.

Thankfully none (so far) is deadly, but it is definitely hitting harder than any flu season I can remember.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#1]
wife has it now
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:53:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#3]
relax. what I've seen of it rampaging thru the south this summer and fall, its been ho hum
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:54:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Don't fall prey to the hype. So far this has been no worse than any other flu season.

Swine is just another type A.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:54:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Relax. A lot of people might be getting sick but, so what. As you have noted, not a lot of fatalities. So far the swine flu has killed about 1,000 people in the US in the last year. In an average flu season the seasonal flu kills 30-34,000 people.

People will get the H1N1 flu, and a herd immunity will develop. It will become one of the seasonal strains in a year or two and we'll stop worrying about it. (Even though it might be killing more people a year by then.)
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:55:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

A lot of schools around the area are reporting students are absent in large numbers. One school reportedly has 20% of its student body out for 'flu like symptoms'. If it hits the 25% marker, they shut down the school.

Thankfully none (so far) is deadly, but it is definitely hitting harder than any flu season I can remember.

is it (h1n1) hitting harder or is the media just reporting on the flue more?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Get yours now before it mutates!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Confirmed H1N1.

Even so, I have never seen flu hit this hard, this early into the season in my lifetime.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Zombie apocalypse is beginning.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:01:55 PM EDT
[#10]
not as bad as the press is making it out to be, both my kids have had it. the older one had fever for two days and then a cough.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:02:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Cytokine storm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytokine_storm

Maybe correct, maybe not.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:02:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Get yours now before it mutates!

Go to to a flu party!  
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:05:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Zombie apocalypse is beginning.

Yep, and stop watching so much TV.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:05:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Wife had it,  No big deal,  She had to get some medication for other issues,  probably helped along by the H1N1,  she had pneumonia and an ear infection with it.    About a week of misery.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I caught the swine flue in 1976 and was 31 years old and lived by myself in the booines(about five miles south of Stellas
corners)in Little Axe,and only had a poppin johnny two cly tractor to get to the store.   I don't say I was near death but I
lived off the perch I could catch in the pond.

So short story some of us older folks may be already imune to some of it's parent versions.  But doesn't matter because
they don't have any for us (middle aged )folks!   They ran out last year and I see the same thing happing again.

So Watch your top knot,and stay away from people and you wll do fine!

Bob
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:47:25 PM EDT
[#16]

yes

i've been taking that for a few months now along with extra vitamin c

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#17]
My mom keeps calling me and telling how all the news shows are talking about how bad it is, and that everyone should get the shot.

I told her that I don't watch the news, so I'm not worked into a frenzy like she is and I'm not getting the shot.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:55:27 PM EDT
[#18]
don't sweat it.  my entire family has had it  and it went through pretty quick. If you don't have respiratory issues prior to, it won't be too bad.  Pour on the vitamin C and D and it goes by fast and wasn't as bad as the normal flu.

now my little girl got a hip infection a week after she had it,  but the doctor said there isn't a definitive link between getting sick and getting a hip infection, happens when kids get sick and to perfectly healthy kids too.

but don't sweat the swine flu, I am now convinced the media is hyping the shit out of it to scare us.  What they are trying to scare us into I'm not sure, socialized medicine,  more govt control or whatever. We have three doctors in our cul-de-sac and they all independently confirmed this, that swine flu is being WAAY overhyped.

I think death rates for normal flue are higher, this one just happens to be relatively communicable and because it's influenza A, lots of us don't have much resistance to it,  so infection rates are higher.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I know we have all heard the hype.

Can anyone link to actual numbers which show the H1N1 IS, or is BECOMING more virulent, harmful, or deadly, than the everyday, common, flu?

Last numbers from the CDC suggested between 35-50 THOUSAND people in the US die of the common flu every year.

What are we sitting at with H1N1 deaths so far?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Relax. A lot of people might be getting sick but, so what. As you have noted, not a lot of fatalities. So far the swine flu has killed about 1,000 people in the US in the last year. In an average flu season the seasonal flu kills 30-34,000 people.

People will get the H1N1 flu, and a herd immunity will develop. It will become one of the seasonal strains in a year or two and we'll stop worrying about it. (Even though it might be killing more people a year by then.)

Yep. It's a new bug that people don't have any immunity to. Once it makes the rounds this year, the general population should be more resistant to it next year.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Don't fall prey to the hype. So far this has been no worse than any other flu season.

Swine is just another type A.

While it's not a super lethal disease that kills everyone in it's tracks, it is worse than any other flu season.  There was no summer break in flu cases like the normal flu seasons, and a lot more people are getting sick with it.  It hasn't killed as many people as the regular flu yet, but it seems to be taking more of a toll on younger people and pregnant women than the regular flu which typically kills older people.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:07:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I teach at a jr. high.  We've had more kids than usual out and lots of cases of H1N1.  So far it seems to be overhyped.  The kids will come back after 3-5 days and seem to be fine.  No signs of zombie metamorphosis at all.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll take the media is reporting more.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#24]
this could be THE BIG ONE

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:20:41 PM EDT
[#25]
almost everybody i know is sick.  not sure how much of it is h1n1 or seasonal or just sick.  i stay away from people though; drink lots of vitamin c and add a pack of emergen-c and get in the sun as much as possible.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I've had it, my wife has had it, and we think our daughter has had it too.

Sucked a bit.  Tired all day, sore, cold then hot, and lots of coughing.  

No real drama.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I just got over it and it sucks but I lived. About 14 days of feeling like shit. I should have called the doctor at the first sign of it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Anyone consider more people might be sick simply because there are 2 strains of the flu floating around instead of just 1?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

No real drama.  

So it was like, oh I don't know, having the flu?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:01:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Anyone consider more people might be sick simply because there are 2 strains of the flu floating around instead of just 1?

No summer break.  If it was just a matter of 2 strains going around, there would have been a drop in cases during the summer.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:02:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Swine flu is extremely over-blown. It's not a pandemic, won't even be close to one.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Arfcom SHTF events past, present and future

It is currently an active event.  I'm guessing by next spring I'll resolve it as just part of a normal flu season.  Possibly just a high level flu season at worst.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:20:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No real drama.  

Yup.  That's about it.  

No big deal.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:22:19 PM EDT
[#34]
The world cannot 'die'.  It will live on barring some sorta need for a hyperspace bypass.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#35]
The only issue I see is the chance of a nasty mutation.  No one is saying it WILL happen, but the reality is that it could.  Absentee rates are through the roof, but not many folks are going six feet under.  That could all change with a bad mutation.  It is certainly something to monitor and prepare for.

- BG
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:28:01 PM EDT
[#36]

Wake me up when it is the same as it was back in the day of the Spanish Flu.  It was said a young man in his early 20's could be completely fine, then, later in the day, have a blue tint about him, just to be dead by the next morning.  If that is going around, THEN I will care.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:34:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Swine flu is extremely over-blown. It's not a pandemic, won't even be close to one.

Of course it will be a pandemic, it already is one.  

It's just not a pandemic of a very deadly disease, but it still kills.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 8:44:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Realize too that more than half of the H1N1 cases are UNCONFIRMED.  The test is expensive and most doctors aren't even doing the test unless the illness is severe.  They are 'assuming' it is H1N1, when it may or may NOT be.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:53:41 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course it will be a pandemic, it already is one.  

It's just not a pandemic of a very deadly disease, but it still kills.

Ok, let me rephrase that. It won't be a pandemic of the proportions that people fear, and certainly no worse than regular influenza.

Lyme disease, cholera, all epidemics, typhus, epidemics all but how do they effect the western world where medicine is good and education is even better?

It won't ravage industrialized, modern-medicine nations. If it starts to spread to the degree where it REALLY kills a lot...people will be super cautious. You can easily avoid the flu if you must.

That's what everyone forgets.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 9:55:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Every case of the flu is being treated as swine flu. When that happens, a normal winter of 100 cases of flu per week are  now 100 cases of OMFG WE'RE GONNA DIE SWINE FLU.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:03:49 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I teach at a jr. high.  We've had more kids than usual out and lots of cases of H1N1.  So far it seems to be overhyped.  The kids will come back after 3-5 days and seem to be fine.  No signs of zombie metamorphosis at all.
This.

I can't tell if my college Freshmen are really sick or they just hate my lectures.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:35:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Wheres the picture of the kid licking the pig?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:12:47 AM EDT
[#43]
It's less lethal, but more contagious, then most strains of influenza.  Depending on whose numbers you use, it may end up being more, or less, lethal than most seasonal influenza. (In terms of total deaths)
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:18:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It won't ravage industrialized, modern-medicine nations. If it starts to spread to the degree where it REALLY kills a lot...people will be super cautious. You can easily avoid the flu if you must.

That's what everyone forgets.

A lot of people REALLY need to keep that part in mind.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:15:50 AM EDT
[#45]
400,000 cases reported world-wide, 6.8 billion world population.
If under reported by half = 800,000 cases = .0176% infected = quit worrying.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:25:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Dude.  It's the flu.  It's not the plague.

I have it now, it's not as bad as seasonal flu as far as severity; it's just more contagious.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:27:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:41:07 AM EDT
[#48]

Can you say antigentic shift and antigentic drift, and reassortment?

H1N1 is highly contagious.  That is worrisome in and of itself.  Combined with some bacterial outbreak, say MDR-TB in the developing world, and that could, repeat, could be a game-changing event.  I'm not educated enough to give you some kind of percentage likelyhood, but I can tell you that to blithely assume that the current outbreak is as bad as it gets is probably the wrong answer.

For example, I was speaking with a Peditrician who was saying that the velocity that the percentage of infections of last seasonal flu went from responsive to non-responsive to Tamiflu was 25% to almost 100% in span of 5 months.  Historically, that's been a multi-year process.  I would say, (as a complete layman with a curisory knowledge of virology) that there is a high potential that the non-responsive nature of seasonal flu with be combined with the contagion of H1N1, at some point in the future.  That's worrying.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:47:44 AM EDT
[#49]
My household as had three different versions of this flu so far. Don't know if it was h1n1 or not.

Fever and weakness for 3-4 days developing into a cough that has lasted weeks

Fever for 3-4 days no cough

Fever and weakness

Funny enough my wife and I have been taking Juice Plus and after two weeks of this going through our housd we are just fine. Time to get the kids on the Juice plus also.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 9:02:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No real drama.  

Just got over something very similar. Lasted from Friday until this morning. More cold like than anything else, so maybe it was just a cold. Dunno.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top