Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2009 11:01:22 AM EDT
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,571125,00.html

Seven-month-old Shannon Lea Dedrick was last seen on at her Chipley home on Saturday. She was described as 2-feet tall and 11 pounds, with brown hair and blue eyes.

Her parents reported her missing from their home at 11:23 a.m. on October 31. Shannon is believed to have gone missing between 3 a.m. and 11 a.m., according to the Washington County Sheriff's Office.

Police were on the scene within minutes of receiving the missing child report.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement issued the missing child alert Sunday night.

About 75 search and rescue personnel as well as K-9 teams and volunteers from local fire departments were working an extensive ground search.

"We would like to thank those who have contacted law enforcement officers with tips in reference to baby Shannon," said Sheriff Haddock.

"All tips are being thoroughly investigated and I would ask that you continue to contact our office at (850) 638-6111 if you have any information concerning this missing child."

Something fishy here. I have a 6-month old, and there is no way I would have an 8-hour window of time where something could have happened except between the hours of 11pm and 6am when I am sleeping and so is he. Did they not see her at all in that time frame? What the heck? No morning bottle? No diaper change? Somebody is not being truthful.

ETA: I searched but found nothing, sorry if a dupe.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#1]
What is it with Florida and missing kids?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:03:56 AM EDT
[#2]
only 11 pounds at 7 months?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:07:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Yeah, that caught my eye too.  Of course, my latest was 9lb10oz at birth, what do I know?
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Something ain't right here.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The trash from the rest of the country seems to flow south, and since we're in the corner, we seem to get an awful lot of it.

Having just had my 1yr old granddaughter in my house for 3 months, there is no way possible for her to be out of supervision for that long of a stretch of time. NO WAY. They shit and piss their diapers full and then howl appropriately. Was she already potty trained? Nope. Something not right with this story at all.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:17:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that caught my eye too.  Of course, my latest was 9lb10oz at birth, what do I know?

That's a big ass baby!

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:18:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

My latest was 6lb 10oz at birth.  By 7 months he weighed damn near 20.  11 is VERY small.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#8]
3AM to 11AM? I'm a father and I know damn well that a 7 month old might give you 45 minutes to an hour with out needing attention if youre lucky! 8 hours without a grumble? No way!
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:20:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The trash from the rest of the country seems to flow south, and since we're in the corner, we seem to get an awful lot of it.

Having just had my 1yr old granddaughter in my house for 3 months, there is no way possible for her to be out of supervision for that long of a stretch of time. NO WAY. They shit and piss their diapers full and then howl appropriately. Was she already potty trained? Nope. Something not right with this story at all.

Florida: The appendix of America!  
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#10]
That is Python territory, lots of abandoned "pets" have actually turned into a breeding population down there.

One could have easily slipped in and out throug ha window and snacked on the kid.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:52:36 AM EDT
[#11]
my little girl is 4 months and only weighs 10 lbs
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:57:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Tagged in the hope of a good outcome for the bairn.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Python bait probably.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:03:48 PM EDT
[#14]
No shit

Quoted:

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:08:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

That is Python territory, lots of abandoned "pets" have actually turned into a breeding population down there.

One could have easily slipped in and out throug ha window and snacked on the kid.
Even assuming this is what happened, don't you think someone should have noticed well before she was reported missing?  

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Even assuming this is what happened, don't you think someone should have noticed well before she was reported missing?  

It was the middle of the night, a python could slink in and out.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:37:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So let's assume it was at 5am.  When she didn't wake for her morning bottle or diaper change at 7 or 8, that would be cause for concern and a call to the police then, yes?  Not 3 farking hours later.

The point is that it doesn't matter how she disappeared, the amount of time they can't account for her whereabouts is extremely out of character for a 7 month old.  We're not talking about a teenager who said, "I'm going to the mall, don't know when I'll be home" and forgot to check in.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Thats a pretty distinctive child!

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:00:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Florida: The appendix of America!  

More to do with weather. We are getting to the time of the year when the vagabond trash comes here for shelter from the cold.

Sort of refuse refuge.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:14:16 PM EDT
[#20]
+10000 on something is amiss

.... between 3:00 am and 11:00 am ???

If that's as close as they can narrow it down, then someone needs some serious training concerning their parenting skills.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:24:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

No, it's not.  Chipley is in NW Florida.  We don't have a python problem here (yet).  The problem, for the most part, is down in the glades.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

So let's assume it was at 5am.  When she didn't wake for her morning bottle or diaper change at 7 or 8, that would be cause for concern and a call to the police then, yes?  Not 3 farking hours later.

The point is that it doesn't matter how she disappeared, the amount of time they can't account for her whereabouts is extremely out of character for a 7 month old.  We're not talking about a teenager who said, "I'm going to the mall, don't know when I'll be home" and forgot to check in.

Do you have kids?

If so, do you realize kids are all different?

We have a 5 month old who won't stay asleep for more than 2 hours 95% of the time. Every once in a while, he will sleep for 6+ hours straight... no idea why.

When momma is sleeping and he doesn't wake up for a long time, she isn't waking up every 2 hours to check on him... she begrudgingly gets up when he makes her get up.

To sleep for 8 hours when you don't have a baby crying to wake you up is not a big deal. Especially when you're exhausted non-stop... I bet my wife would sleep 12 hours if she could.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:18:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If that's as close as they can narrow it down, then someone needs some serious training concerning their parenting skills.

What seems odd about a full night's rest?

My sister's 2 month old already sleeps that long every night. (And I'm jealous!)
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My sister's 2 month old already sleeps that long every night. (And I'm jealous!)

Sleeps til 11AM?  Dont think so.  Sleeps 8 hours...sure I'll buy that.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:30:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

My son went to bed after 4AM Friday night (or Sat morning, whichever you prefer), if it had magically turned into one of those 6 hour + sleepfests, would you call BS on him waking up after 10?

I don't think you comprehend the sheer unpredictability of kids.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

What if the caretaker parent works nights and the baby sleeps their schedule?  The 8-hour timeframe would not be out of line then.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:04:12 PM EDT
[#29]
My daughter a.k.a. Teh Sleeper, at about 8 months old could sleep from 8pm to 10am if the room was kept dark.  Even now, she will sleep to 11am if you let her, shes 2 now.  Call me paraniod, but just to be on the safe side so something like this wouldn't happen or something else, either my wife or I sleep with her.  I like the idea that if the alarm goes off, I can grab my AR in 2 secs, then they have to go through me to get to her
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:13:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They all come down here and pull this type of crap before they even change their address

Then people in the states they came from bitch and cry when we want to give them the chair
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:09:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My son went to bed after 4AM Friday night (or Sat morning, whichever you prefer), if it had magically turned into one of those 6 hour + sleepfests, would you call BS on him waking up after 10?

Mt two have never slept past 830...but I guess everyones diffrent.  Then again mine arent up later than 10 at the latest either.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:44:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Mt two have never slept past 830...but I guess everyones diffrent.  Then again mine arent up later than 10 at the latest either.

This thread has made me very envious... That's all I have to say about babies having different sleep patterns.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:14:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Kid found.

Story  

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:00:30 AM EDT
[#34]
hang everyone involved, bullets are too expensive...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top