Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 3:08:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I was a crew cheif on a Pro Mod drag car for nine years.  I was on TV, on radio, in mags and newspaper.  We won four UDRA championships and numerous races.

Bob B
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 3:27:07 PM EDT
[#2]
In therd grade I wun the classs speling bee. They had a assembly in the jim, and I got to shake the pricipls hand.  I stil hav my aword certificut.  I think my name even got in the paper.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 4:04:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I was a crew cheif on a Pro Mod drag car for nine years.  I was on TV, on radio, in mags and newspaper.  We won four UDRA championships and numerous races.

Bob B
View Quote

Which car??  I used to hang out and chat with Richard Earle (Christine) back in `89 and `90. I met him through Jimmy Haulsey and Richard Crouse, local Pro Mod competitors.  Man, those were the days!!
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:11:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I was on t.v. when I spoke of defending freedom and patriotism before a tyrant city council. Afterwards I was interviewed by a newspaper reporter.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#5]
When I worked in Williston ND I did two TV interviews, was on radio 2 or 3 times and quoted in the local news paper too many times to remember. In a little town, the westher is about the only thing that ever changes, so they like to talk about it. Oh yea, does NOAA weather radio count?
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 6:07:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Twice! [:)]

My (ex)wife saw me on the news when I was in Operation Just Cause walking along in my LONG rag top carrying my pig. [(:)]

and

I was in a crowd shot in a Metal Edge Magazine
article about New Year's Evil in Phoenix.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#8]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
I was a crew cheif on a Pro Mod drag car for nine years. I was on TV, on radio, in mags and newspaper. We won four UDRA championships and numerous races.

Bob B
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which car?? I used to hang out and chat with Richard Earle (Christine) back in `89 and `90. I met him through Jimmy Haulsey and Richard Crouse, local Pro Mod competitors. Man, those were the days!!

The car is "Killer Instict" Dodge Avenger owned by Tom Sherburne
[
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 8:27:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Local Newspaper
    Good: twice [O:)]
     Bad: lost count [}:)]
View Quote

On the bad side, you weren't pictured in cuffs were you?
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 8:45:32 PM EDT
[#10]
i have made newpaper a few times for trapshooting stuff. state tourny and whatnot.

i was once taped on the news, buying illeagel fireworks. that was kinda funny.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Well in my previous line of work, I was a Pastry Chef.  I appeared on the local NBC affiliate morning show to make a chocolate dessert.  Went well, I was scared as sh*t.  A buddy of mine taped it professionally, so I have a tape of it gathering dust.  

I was then on a local CBS affiliate cooking show with my twin brother, who is a Chef as well.  The producer got us to play a trick on the co-hosts, Beth & Bill, by having me start the show.  My brother has been on their show 4 or 5 times before, so they knew him.  The trick worked perfectly, then we did a combo show, with he and I doing dinner and dessert.  Good times.  

I was also in Phoenix Magazine with my brother in an article which featured Gina Lee Nolin of Baywatch fame at a Celebrity Martini Mix-off at a local club.  I have my picture with her and other celebs at the charity event.  I was hoping to get a close up of the twins (myself and my brother) parked up close to her twins, but didn't get that one.  Oh, well next time...(yeah, right)

Well that is my 15 minutes...

Oh yeah, in my new line of work...

I was in a news broadcast on all the networks (Local) when this idiot stole a camera truck and led us on a 60 60 mile pursuit.  We stop-sticked the crap out of the truck, and got it stopped.  After the idiot was gently persuaded out of the vehicle, you can see me holding him while the paramedics put his face back together, after he hit it on the pavement a few times.  You see me then put him in the back of my patrol car for the ride to the hospital.  Was kinda cool...

I am the chef back right.  Later...
[img]http://www.mindspring.com/~ahaywood5785/webcam/Martini-mixer.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#12]
I was mis-quoted in a Rolling Stone article on .50BMG rifles. Bastard reporter called me a "middle-aged engineer" too. Wait till I'm at least 40 to call me that.

Back in '87, when I worked for Lockheed Missles & Space Company, I was photographed next to our prototype SDI laser death weapon. The photo appeared in Aviation Week, Popular Science, and several newspapers.
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/12/2002 11:25:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Let's see...

I was in a bg shot helping put out a grass fire behind a trailer park (I actually LIVED there at the time...)

I was in the paper back home for winning a Science Fair.  Got interviewed for the local news later in my front yard...

I have also has several editorial letters published in newspapers and online...

AND, I am (slowly!) working on a book on the Jeep Cherokee and Comanche.

FFZ
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Showing my age here..

1966  Gardena Valley News (L.A.) mentioned me in Girls Day article. High School girls substituted for city officers for a day. I was the Civil Defense Coordinator (how appropriate for me!)

Approximately 1985, Daily News (L.A./San Fernando Valley) ran my  photo and short story about the community garden I helped develop.

1994 Universal Studio pr release & Vet Admin paper. Women Veterans Day at Universal Studio photo of myself and the female general,formerly the highest ranking female officer in Vietnam. BTW, I'm not a veteran. Former USO donutdolly.

1996 L.A. Times/San Pedro edition-- "Veterans Administration spokesperson" noting that a missing pt. had not shown for appointments. A wheelchair user, he was presumed lost at sea.

1996? KFWB (Los Angeles newsradio) interviewed me about then Pres. Clinton opening trade with Vietnam. Basically told them I knew it had to happen "someday"..WWII vets bought German and Japanese goods...but to announce it on the eve of Veterans Day (or memorial day?) was a slap in the face to all veterans and especially the 58,000 souls listed on The Wall in Washington. This was taped at the VA West L.A. but was NOT an official statement.

[soapbox] Lots of high 5s from the vets for that!

Gwen/NewsHawg [:x]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 6:26:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Lets see....??

My first time on TV was on a Kids game show Called reach for the top

My first brush as an adult with fame was in 1990 when i showed up at an anti Gulf war rally of 2000 people in London Ontario.  Me and a buddy went there to Protest the Protesters....I got national attention on TV an Papers.

Next was a Teachers Strike when I went and Protested the Teachers when they had a Parade....I was all alone.  That made local TV and papers.

I made National TV in 1995 when I went to Ottawa to protest the New Gun laws in Canada.  The reporter thought I was the Loudest in a crowd of 35,000.  My wife still will not let me down.  But I had a sore throat for a week after it.

Since I became President of my local gun club I have been on TV 3 or 4 times. Local Papers.....well about 10 or so.

I have since stepped down as President but am still in charge of Media Relations.  I will be the guest speaker on a Province Wide Phone in Show this march on CBC radio...

Thats about it...so far.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#17]
GwenInLa, just noticed you're a new member, so I would like to extend a welcome to you. [:)] Glad to have participating with the ruffians.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 6:29:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who's the blond with the nice rack?!?!? [sex]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the kind welcome LordTrader.

I am the poor shootist & Imbroglio defender formerly known as PossumKiller. Couldn't log back on with that name :)

Gwen
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 6:48:13 PM EDT
[#20]
I made it on the evening local TV news.

I was at an indoor range when this reporterette shows up with a camera guy.  I really did NOT mean to get myself in front of the camera.  But this bubble-headed reporterette was violating all kinds of gun safety rules, and it bugged the crap outta me.  (For you NC folks, this was in Raleigh at the now-defunct Triangle Shooting Club on Glenwood out near the airport.)

So I politely told her that the way she was handling her revolver was dangerous, and showed her the four or five basics of safe gun handling, appropriate for an indoor range.  I was halfway through my rant when I realized the camera was on.  I do a lot of presentations in my work, so I just plowed right ahead without changing my tone or losing my train of thought.

That evening a friend told me I was on the evening news.  Ironically, I never saw it.

I like to think my fifteen minutes of fame were well spent.

Hmmm, come to think of it, there was that Operation Rescue interview lying on the pavement looking up at the cameras....
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm the sailor in the Movie "TIGERLAND", in the New Orleans Mardi Gras scene..

I'm at the end of the pool table the two main actors are playing pool on, talking to two real hot females,..

As the two main's leave the bar, I'm kissing another chick in the entrance way of the bar, and they pause as they're leaving, turn around and look at us kissing and say:

"Man, we got to get us some chicks!!!"

My wife didn't like that scene a lot..

It was real cool kissing the girl for the first 5 minutes, but got real old after that..

Here's a pic on the set, with me and another "Mardi Gras Girl" prior to shooting..

I was also a G.I. in numerous other scenes, such as marching, drilling, PT, on the bus at the closing scene etc...
[img]http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v4/3/81/4/31238104nOGqsFFjIb_ph.jpg[/img]
[img]http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v4/3/79/48/31237948wMpYAfDFrN_ph.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 7:51:32 PM EDT
[#23]
My former band, Captain Geech and the Shrimp Shack Shooters headlined my hometown's sesquicentennial celebration, the local biweekly had our pictures in the paper, but they didn't mention us in the article and they called me Captain Greech in the caption.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:02:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My former band, Captain Geech and the Shrimp Shack Shooters headlined my hometown's sesquicentennial celebration, the local biweekly had our pictures in the paper, but they didn't mention us in the article and they called me Captain Greech in the caption.
View Quote

Guess you were just doing "that thing you do"
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Who's the blond with the nice rack?!?!? [sex]
View Quote

That is Gena Lee Nolin from Baywatch.  She was in Playboy a couple months ago.  I was hoping to get a closeup of those with me, but to no avail.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:13:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn!!! I did not recognize her.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:17:16 PM EDT
[#27]
I was on CNN once. It was under good/neutral circumstances, so that's about all I need for this lifetime. [;)] Don't wanna push it.....
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 8:28:44 PM EDT
[#28]
As Chief of Security for a large gated community I write the monthly security report for two different newspapers. I am asked to speak at local events from time to time. Years ago my twin brother and I were featured on "Proud of East Texas" a local TV program, when we were making custom handmade cowboys boots. Hard work no money. Don't do that anymore. I rode bulls for 10 years and was on TV a few times for very brief moments. Don't do that anymore either. Had my hip appear in a gun magazine. Actually they were focusing in on my customized 1911, holstered in a hand tooled paddle holster made by a Texas inmate.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 10:56:34 PM EDT
[#29]
In '92,I took off in a Cessna, and flew around until I had located a friend who had force landed in a field.  The newspaper did a story where they called me "the guardian angel" or something.

Since then, I've had many opportunities, but "No Comment" is always the way to go.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 3:56:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Was in the San Jose Mercury over thirty years ago.  Photo of my family cleaning up after a winds storm blew down our huge Medesto Ash in the front yard.  Have made it on broadcast news a couple of times in the background climbing around on an Army hleicopter while some reported yacked about something or other.  Made it into "Soldiers" magazine twice.  Once on an FTX in 1983 and once for REFORGER 87.  I recently made it into "Four Wheeler" magazine.  The issue at the MVPA nationals at Ft Lee, VA.  Just another face in the crowd, but it's mine.  Also a few times in the company newsletter, but that doesn't really count.

Ross
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 8:25:06 AM EDT
[#31]
I play drums.  The band I used to play with until the end of the year opened up for DefLeppard at Fort McCoy, Wisconsin.  10,000 people, and we won them over very well.  Locked my keys in my truck with my stuff inside 30min before showtime!  The security detachment (MP's) were very cool and jimmied my truck for me.  :-)

Opened up for the Wallflowers last summer at a large outdoor venue in Lacrosse.  Don't know what the crowd was but it was big.  Thier drummer broke his arm while we were playing, running around on a three wheeler.  The road manager said something about playing the show for him, but I didn't know a single lick of Wallflowers songs!  He played the show (very numbed up) and went right into an ambulance to get his cast.  I went to the gas station on the way home to get smokes and gave away everything I had except my shorts, shoes, and wallet to the kids.  Even my new shades!  How do I insert one of those crazy eye things here LOL!

Opened for Jackyl and Tuff at a small outdoor thing in northern Wisconsin.  The singer from Tuff is from Oshkosh.  He is a very nice guy.  

I quit that band, and started a new one that is more my speed (more modern sound).

Doing these shows was kind of cool (even if they are has-been bands), it's like being a rock star but only for a little while.  I think I have gotten as far as I am going to though, as we are in the sticks as far as the music industry goes, no radio support, and none of us care to move.  We all work day jobs (ack!) and are mostly happy being weekend warriors.    

Pic of me with Blas Elias here:
[url]www.geocities.com/aspaff/spinynorman[/url]
at the pics link, click on Kill.  We did a show on the Voices of Metal tour last summer too, one of my last shows with the old band.  Second time I hung out with Blas for a bit.  He is a very nice guy as well.

If anybody likes stuff like Incubus, Puddle of Mudd, Godsmack, etc. email me, and I'll send you a demo CD of my new band gratis.  My email is [email protected].  
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 12:45:54 PM EDT
[#32]
i was in the TV maxi-series "Centennial", was an extra for 5 days of filming during the Rendezvous scene, then during the part where Conrad shoots the bottle off the indians head i was in the front row & got about 5 seconds of "face tyme"

also an extra in a "Mountain Man" movie wyth C. Heston

was on the Jerry Lewis MD telethon back in 1972 as a #1 fund raiser, i collected over $7,000 in just 15 minutes........

Link Posted: 2/16/2002 2:45:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Picture of my butt made it many times when getting victims out of car wrecks.

Media always hounding when Coroner; had one reporter for newpaper called about 6 times trying to pry foul play out of me on elderly fellow who had heart attack and fell out of boat while fishing. Had heart problems and just found floating in water next to boat,  family said he would have been pleased because fishing was one of his loves.
On the last call, reporter finally blurted out about foul play involved.  Advised he might want talk to Sheriff--why's that== Deputies ringed around lake looking for Nessie, Huh, You know, Nessie, the Loch Ness monster.  After about 30 seconds of how to spell that, he realized he'd been had, real quick thanks and good by.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 12:05:56 AM EDT
[#34]
I made the front page of my local paper when I was a senior in high school.  I was given an award for having the highest SAT score in my county that year.  I knew it was being covered, but I was expecting a blurb on page 5, not a front page spread.  Must have been a slow news day.

Oh, and I got my picture in the paper when I was seven because I caught a 10 lb. bass in a local lake.  It's still hanging on the wall [:D]
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 3:11:52 AM EDT
[#35]
hey powderburner, what county? i work for the coroner in a large county in nothern california. probably some interesting stories to swap?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top