Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/19/2009 4:10:44 PM EDT
he and his wife are nice people.They've been trying to get me and the wife to join them in their religion.He keeps telling me we are in the end times ect....So i tell him my opinion that the S"could"HTF,but i hope it never does.I ask him what he has done to prep for the bad times ahead?I told him i have a little food on hand,and i'm prepared to defend myself and family.They told me "The lord will provide for us,your just going to be a target with stuff like that".They went on and on telling me how i should use the food i have and don't worry about such things.I mean no disrespect to their religion,but do people REALLY think like that in a large scale?I was just in shock,as they actually belive that nothing could happen to them,but i will be harmed!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:13:28 PM EDT
[#1]
JW's are a bit "different".

Don't try to find rational thinking among that crowd.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#2]
99.99999999% of the population either think like that or don't ever even think about the subject at all.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:14:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag for later reading/review/debunking.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#4]
If I remember right, they're not supposed to have friends outside of their faith, nor do they allow things like blood transfusions, even in life-threatening emergency cases.

Worked with two chicks who were JW, and some of their beliefs are flat-out stupid.  One told me that if she had a baby and it needed a blood transfusion to live, she wouldn't allow it to happen.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to live in Texas. Lots of godfearing folk there.

I heard a saying that I like a lot, and share with people now.

"Trust in the Lord, but lock the car doors."

Makes sense to this Christian!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:19:42 PM EDT
[#6]

I've run into enough JWs to know that they are no different than the rest of the sheeple, in the area of preps.

Mormons, on the other hand, believe wholeheartedly in being prepared for anything (disasters, storms, and whatnot). Plus, most Mormons I know are pro-gun. Good thinking all around.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:23:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
99.99999999% of the population either think like that or don't ever even think about the subject at all.

Pretty much!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I've run into enough JWs to know that they are no different than the rest of the sheeple, in the area of preps.

Mormons, on the other hand, believe wholeheartedly in being prepared for anything (disasters, storms, and whatnot). Plus, most Mormons I know are pro-gun. Good thinking all around.

Now that you mention it,i have a mormon friend who's REALLY in line with us here.I'm not sure if he's a member .
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Already in a religion? Say no thanks, I am ______.

Not in one? Join the Catholics.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:40:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

This would be my guess.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:41:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now that you mention it,i have a mormon friend who's REALLY in line with us here.I'm not sure if he's a member .

My fiancee is a Mormon. When she was president of her branch's Relief Society, she was in charge of hurricane preparedness talks, and helping members put together hurricane preparedness kits. She's pretty much on the ball with this kinda stuff. Anything about disaster preparedness, she knows.

When she first learned of my arsenal (to keep assholes from helping themselves to my preps), she simply said "That's makes perfect sense".

That's why she's my number one girl.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:41:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now that you mention it,i have a mormon friend who's REALLY in line with us here.I'm not sure if he's a member

If I was forced to pick a religion it would be LDS or Catholicism.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#13]
IMHO JW are a cult not a legit religion.  I have seen multiple families torn apart because of it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
IMHO JW are a cult not a legit religion.  I have seen multiple families torn apart because of it.

No shit,really?I know a "scientologist",and boy is that a cult/pyramid scheme.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#15]
My wife is an ex-jw. She was disfellowshipped when we met but It still took 8years, 3 kids, and Barack Obama for her to completely let go of it.

The depth of their indoctrination is astonishing.  It is akin to a computer virus hidden in their boot sector. Anything they learn that somehow does not fit or could be looked down on by others in the congregation is erased the next time they wake up.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:47:35 PM EDT
[#16]
fuh that shi bih, I'm mormon. I'll keep my guns, ammo and food storage
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Stop talking to preps unbelivers.

Oh, and that other kind too.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#18]
No different than any other religion that talks about trusting the "lord", "god", "jesus", or whatever with their lives/to save them in times of distress. JWs are a bit further out on the "weird stuff" scale than most other religions, though, in other things.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Reminds me of a story about some woman who drowned in a flood, she kept telling the rescue people to go away in their boat the lord would take care of her, then when the water reached the roof she told the rescue chopper to go away, because the lord would take care of her.
Then she drowned and went to heaven, where she met the lord. She said "Lord, why did you let me die?!?" and he said "What are you talking about?!? I sent you a boat, AND a rescue chopper!"
So if your friend gets killed by a guy with a gun, the lord is prolly gonna say "Whats up?!? I gave you guns to protect yourself!"
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I knew one.

I asked him if he believed he would be one of the 144,000 to go to heaven. He said no. I asked him why he would be a part of a religion that wouldn't allow him to go to heaven and he didn't really have an answer other than being a Witness made people better humans.

I don't want to be resurrected to live on earth. Been there, done that. They don't believe in hell, so if I can't go to heaven, what's the point?

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#21]
The lord will protect and provide for you in an emergency.  Just look at what a great job he did during Katrina.  Ask your friend about that.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:16:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Look, there are two messages in the Gospel...the first is that generally we SHOULD NOT try to cover all bases, etc. but trust in the Lord - the point being our treasure ought to be in Heaven, not holding some postage size piece of ground at all cost... certainly not at the cost of apostasy or capitulation to injustice, or robbing the poor, or robbing our own family of our presence etc...

First things first.

The second message though is that occasionally bad times come. When he prophecied about Jerusalem being surrounded by an army he said "those there ought to flee into the hill country". Uh huh. Probably be good to have some provisions to take with you into this barren hill country, don't you think?

The Apocalypse takes place over 3.5 hears...42 months. I know few people with 3.5 years worth of food  etc. so anything short of that is us doing both the "do what we can" and "trust in the Lord to do what HE can".

Then  across the whole Bible you have Joseph of Egypt' fame who on the basis of a dream built enough barns to feed the whole world for 7 years of famine and drought.... and this was a GOOD THING.... and then you have the foolish farmer in Jesus' parable who pulls down a single barn to build a bigger one....and dies, his soul being asked of him.

Moral of the story....if your preps are for family, friends, country, have at it. If it's designed solely for yourself... not so much.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:19:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#24]
The LORD helps those who help themselves! So this dude and his wife are toast when the SHTF because they DID NOTHING TO HELP THEMSELVES!!

I'm LDS, our congregation in fact just held a Preparedness seminar last night, ran by guy who used do Military Intelligence and Pilot survival training in the Air Force in Vietnam. has his own company...

www.fourseasonsurvival.com

He does not sell anything he hasn't tried out himself personally. He also invented the Sparklight fire starter kits.

He told everyone they should have at least a minimum of a revolver in their house.

It was open to the public with no strings attached(No religeous discussion or indoctrination) but nobody outside the church came and not even our whole congregation showed up.

It was hilarious actually he threw some scenarios out there and scared some of the sheeple in my church crapless!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Throw this at them:

According to the teachings of Jehova's Witnesses, Heaven will hold just 144,000 souls, and all will be JWs.

At this moment,  there are more than 144,000 active JWs.

There have been still more in past generations.

With this being the case,  with there apparently being far more total JWs than the number of bunks allotted in Heaven,

then it would appear that only the BEST JWs will be going to Heaven.

What makes YOU think that you measure up?

Have you considered that maybe all 144,000 bunks are already filled?

"I know you and I think your odds of being among the chosen are absolutely remote."

Be sure to tell them that should it come down to a real SHTF situation,  no JWs will be eligible to receive

any form of neighborly assistance as you won't waste good feed on the crazies.    And in any event,

nobody who is not totally ready, willing, and able to contribute to the active and ongoing defense of the

community will not be part of the community.

Your preparations don't make you a target, they make you a HARD target,  with the two-legged rats of the

world that will likely emerge after SHTF all opting instead to seek out SOFT targets, like your soft headed

JW neighbors.

CJ

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#26]
I have never cared for JW's based on their ingrained lack of patriotism and duty to country.  They won't serve or even say the Pledge of Allegiance but I guarantee you they would hold their hands out to take from the very thing they are not willing to defend.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

99.99999999% of the population either think like that the government will save them or don't ever even think about the subject at all.

Fixed.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Your logic on the 144k in heaven thing is based on incorrect information about JWs. They believe 144k of them are ultimately chosen to serve with God in heaven, and that the rest will inherit eternal life on earth, in paradise (not present day earth, but a cleansed earth). Just to clairify.

Still, all religions are rediculous anyway. Especially the "god has a plan"/"god will take care of you" ones where bad shit happens to good people, but that god is "loving" and what not.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:08:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#30]
JWs.  No thanks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:12:57 PM EDT
[#31]
You've gotta have a friend named haysoos.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm a Christian, and people like that annoy me. And yet, I think that most of the people in my congregation would fall into the former category and not the latter (IE not prepared).  My dad thinks I'm crazy for planning for a major event. My parents think that having some extra food on hand is OK, and ammo, but beyond that, I'm sure they think I'm a little crazy. I'd love to be more prepared than I am, but I"m pretty comfortable where I'm at.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#34]
If I was going to have anyone proseltyze me I would prefer the Mormons. I have not met a Mormon yet that doesnt have a plan, BOB, weapons and ammo ready to go when SHTF.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#35]
As an ex-JW, these kinds of threads always make me crack up.

That is all, carry on with the hate on a religion that most of you don't understand, nor will ever understand because you lack the open-mindedness to attempt to understand them. If you think about it, all religions are a cult.

As another poster ahead of me stated, the 144K are for the ultimate Witnesses and those left on Earth will spend all of eternity in paradise. The Witnesses truly believe that the Earth will be cleansed again and Eden will be back. Can't blame them for wanting to live in a perfect world, can ya?

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:39:41 PM EDT
[#36]
So how are JW's towards the 2A?  I thought they were pacifists.

My issue with them is they lead their conversion process with threats of the end of the world and ask if you are prepared for it.  I am and say so, when I ask them about their preps, they usually just stare back blankly.  If you are so worried about it, why not set a few things aside - makes no sense.

I'm also LDS, with almost a years worth of food/ provisions for a family of 5 (need to figure out water).  Our belief is the Lord takes care of those who take care of themselves and others.

Years ago my neighbors around my cul de sac mocked me because I installed a generator, a few months later we lost power for 7 or 8 days in a winter storm, we were the only ones with power and invited everyone over (I showed them our food storage and how to hook up a generator).  A year or 2 later when another storm hit, only one other neighbor didn't have a generator hooked up, everyone else had unbeknownst to me, installed one.  

The holdout neighbor refused to install one and instead put in a deck, hottub and AC.  When a major storm hit again and we lost power for 8 days they went back to a crappy motel again 30 min away - that was their idea of being prepared.

Except for Arfcommers, there isn't a group of people more prepared and armed than Mormons.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My fiancee is a Mormon. When she was president of her branch's Relief Society, she was in charge of hurricane preparedness talks, and helping members put together hurricane preparedness kits. She's pretty much on the ball with this kinda stuff. Anything about disaster preparedness, she knows.

When she first learned of my arsenal (to keep assholes from helping themselves to my preps), she simply said "That's makes perfect sense".

That's why she's my number one girl.

We (us LDS) are taught principles of conservativism, and preparedness from a young age.

Keep in mind that Harry Reid is also LDS... So you can run into some commies here, too, I guess...

My girl went to a canning day (it was just for the ladies) at the church today, and there were several people there who were not LDS... Lots of stuff, advice, and preps... And none of it is exclusive to just LDS members...
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

That is all, carry on with the hate on a religion that most of you don't understand, nor will ever understand because you lack the open-mindedness to attempt to understand them. If you think about it, all religions are a cult.

As another poster ahead of me stated, the 144K are for the ultimate Witnesses and those left on Earth will spend all of eternity in paradise. The Witnesses truly believe that the Earth will be cleansed again and Eden will be back. Can't blame them for wanting to live in a perfect world, can ya?

Yeah, calling other people lacking open-mindedness when JWs won't even allow life-saving blood transfusions....yeah...just not sure about that one.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:53:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

If I was forced to pick a religion it would be LDS or Catholicism.

When it really boils down to it in Christianity, only one of those two can be right.  "It's us or them."
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:55:49 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, calling other people lacking open-mindedness when JWs won't even allow life-saving blood transfusions....yeah...just not sure about that one.

They have their beliefs and do not mock others for having their own. They simply believe that their beliefs are the correct beliefs, just like every other religion out there.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:58:57 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Reminds me of a story about some woman who drowned in a flood, she kept telling the rescue people to go away in their boat the lord would take care of her, then when the water reached the roof she told the rescue chopper to go away, because the lord would take care of her.

Then she drowned and went to heaven, where she met the lord. She said "Lord, why did you let me die?!?" and he said "What are you talking about?!? I sent you a boat, AND a rescue chopper!"

So if your friend gets killed by a guy with a gun, the lord is prolly gonna say "Whats up?!? I gave you guns to protect yourself!"

lmao

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:00:33 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Can't blame them for wanting to live in a perfect world, can ya?

Erm, when it's outlandish beliefs like that, yeah, I can.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:02:41 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They have their beliefs and do not mock others for having their own. They simply believe that their beliefs are the correct beliefs, just like every other religion out there.

Killing babies who don't even have a choice as to the religion they'd want to be in sounds "correct" to me.  Some things are just wrong, and that's one of them.  Lots of other religions have similar problems, but when your religion mandates that you stand back and let your kids die when they could be saved....eh.  No thanks.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:07:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Are JW's against gun ownership?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Killing babies who don't even have a choice as to the religion they'd want to be in sounds "correct" to me.  Some things are just wrong, and that's one of them.  Lots of other religions have similar problems, but when your religion mandates that you stand back and let your kids die when they could be saved....eh.  No thanks.

I completely understand your viewpoint. That was always a sore point between me and my mother. She tried to get me to believe the same and I always believed that all measures should be taken if my life or someone I love life is in danger, which is one of the reasons I am not a JW any longer.

All I am merely saying is that no religion is perfect, no matter how you slice the cake. We all pray to the same God (if you are a believer) and will all end up at the same place.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

No. Many JW's own guns. They do not believe in using it to harm another person. They own them for either hunting or for fun.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:10:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

They are pacifists
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Exactly right! It is funny hearing Mormons here poking fun at others beliefs.Mormons believe Native Americans are decended from the lost tribe of Israel.Dark skinned people are dark because the invisable god cursed them for sinning too much.No , its called living closer to the equater and genetics.Asking the where the golden tablets are.They were conveniently "stolen."Also Mormons talk about large ancient cities in the Americas.Where are these ruins?DNA disproves the Native American-Jewish  thing.I could go on and on.All religion is silly.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:15:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Exactly right! It is funny hearing Mormons here poking fun at others beliefs.

Which mormons are poking fun, O wise one?  

I'm sure you're TOTALLY not looking for an opportunity to rip on them.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:15:17 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't blame them for wanting to live in a perfect world, can ya?

Erm, when it's outlandish beliefs like that, yeah, I can.

You believe that the shit will hit the fan one day, no? They believe that after the SHTF, there will be a paradise waiting for them.

These sheep need us sheepdogs to help them get to where they are going.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top