Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/18/2009 8:45:36 PM EDT
I watched the movie Terminator Salvation recently (was decent).

I remember the main character (Connor) he was the resistance leader and everyone looked up to him and wanted to meet him one day.

Do you sometimes dream of yourself being one of those leaders and everyone looking towards you for guidance?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:46:40 PM EDT
[#1]
with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:46:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I cant wait to get my platoon.

Be competent and confident and people will look to you for leadership.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:47:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Uuuummm,   no.

More comfortable being in the background providing long-range fire support  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:47:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Sort of.  I fear not making the right decision at a critical moment.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#5]
This is one of the reasons I want to finish college and POSSIBLY join the military.

I can be an officer and lead my troops and make sure they are safe and pray to god we make the right decisions.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:50:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Being a leader increase grey hair production jst look at our past leaders.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:50:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I have, I could, and I would.

As for leading an uprising in a SHTF situation, mabey not.

I prefer fireteam size but I can do squad. Probably bigger
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:52:19 PM EDT
[#9]
No big deal on a small scale.  I was a sergeant in the Air Force and had several people to manage.  Now I have a few in a minor leadership role. Good people make it real easy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#10]
It's no big deal after a while.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:55:10 PM EDT
[#11]
15 years, 4 months, and 1 day of active duty USMC.  BTDT, multiple T-shirts too.

There's a LOT of leaders on this board.  Some of them are quite impressive.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got balls of steel.

It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum.  And I'm all out of gum.

ETA:

I sort of lead all the time.  Problem is nobody follows.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:57:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Making any decision at the critical moment puts you far above most "leaders".
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:59:25 PM EDT
[#14]
No,I don't want to be a leader.

I'm more of a "leave me the hell alone" type of guy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Some lead.
Some follow.

Then there's me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#16]
No.  I never did.  I always saw myself as a grunt.  I don't know how that all changed.  

It is still fun (or stupid) to be point man with the scattergun.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

No big deal on a small scale.  I was a sergeant in the Air Force and had several people to manage.  Now I have a few in a minor leadership role. Good people make it real easy.

This.

I am so happy my joe's are not shitbags. They know how to fend for themselves. If they need me to help them with something, they come to me, otherwise they are largely self-sufficient.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:03:24 PM EDT
[#18]
The largest element I was in charge of was a Squad.  I don't know if I would be good at being some type of political/religious leader, but I can manage a fighting unit.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:07:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I can be a leader but I prefer to only be one when I know everyone else can't do a better job for me.

Im the type of guy who volanteers when asked to do something though.

So I can step up to the plate if no one else will, but I prefer to leave it up to better trained people.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:14:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I think the point is more than leading the church choir.  In the kind of situation that requires true leadership. The kind where ruthlessness and dominance rule.  Animalistic to a point.

Not 99% of the population of managing an office or where written rules officiate.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#21]
No.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:17:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:19:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I can be a leader but I prefer to only be one when I know everyone else can't do a better job for me.

Yep, same.

I don't mind taking the leadership position, but I'm not one to seek it out. I'll grab it if no one else is taking it though, or if the person who has it is a fuckup and needs replacement.

I think I've done a very good job when in leadership roles; it's just that I don't like to take them unless nobody else can/will do the job.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#24]
When I know my job, yes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:20:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Why do you keep posting dumb shit?  I'm saying you're dumb, that would violate the CoC.  I'm just saying that all the shit you posts happens to go full retard.

Want to be a leader?  TRY HERE
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Best movie ever.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:21:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
When I know my job, yes.

What about a situation where someone has to step up?  I mean the take charge of a scattered group of neighbors to repel the looters?

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Making any decision at the critical moment puts you far above most "leaders".

This.  Just the ability to make any important decision in a critical moment, is more than most people can muster.  Believe it or not, most people want to be led, so they don't have to make the hard decisions.  

I'm not that way.  I like to lead, and enjoy making decisions, when others can't or won't.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:30:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Genius!  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#30]
I have been a leader, and am pretty good at it.

Being a platoon leader was paperwork hell, but leading a squad or commanding a gun truck was awesome.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#31]
I've been a leader.  I hated it.  It involved a lot of kicking the asses of people who's sole purpose in life is finding ways out of doing their fucking job.  On a good day I can barely run my own life, I don't want to run other people's.

I'll take loner over leader any day of the week.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:38:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Do you sometimes dream of yourself being one of those leaders and everyone looking towards you for guidance?

Yeah, because we all know the machines are coming!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:39:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've been a leader.  I hated it.  It involved a lot of kicking the asses of people who's sole purpose in life is finding ways out of doing their fucking job.  On a good day I can barely run my own life, I don't want to run other people's.

I'll take loner over leader any day of the week.

No that is being a 'boss,' an appointed position.  Not a leader.  A leader is someone that people gravitate to.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:40:28 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm good platoon-sized

I'd like the shot at more, yea, I've thought about it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:41:25 PM EDT
[#35]
My role in life is as a "follower."  I am a team player and am not a leader.  I know my place in life.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:43:35 PM EDT
[#36]
IMHO, the type of person that really wants to be a leader usually sucks at it. That person is interested only in their own success and is only interested in group success as a means of ego-stroking or as a platform for further individual advancement and gain. And the person that really doesn't want to be in charge but reluctantly takes over right before everything goes to shit is the person that leads well. That type primarily wants the group as a whole to succeed, which is really the key to the whole thing.

But I'll also say that the military is a different situation. With all the leadership training, it's less a matter of wanting power and more of a desire to excel at what you've been trained to do.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#37]
I'd like to talk a big game saying I could lead anyone through anything.  The truth is I'm to afraid of failure.  I can't picture myself being able to make the right decision in a stressful situation that would better the group.  Put me by myself and I would fair better.  I'm destined to be a sheep though

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm not a natural leader so much as a natural independent.  When others do, I observe.

I usually get stuck as the team leader anyway, because no one else gives a shit.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:52:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Genius!  

For real.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:55:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Currently a major and have been blessed with mostly good examples of leadership in both superiors and subordinates alike. By emulating them and learning from bad leadership examples is key. As a young PL I had a great PSG: professionalism, discpline, techincal and tactical competence, physical fitness, understanding imperfections but striving to fix them... Even though our roles were different, he was a postive influence I copied during both in my second PL and CO CMD jobs. I also had one of the best NCOs for a 1SG when I was a CO CDR. I was both loyal to my troops while supporting the BN leadership team. I would disagree in private on a professional level with and explain things to surperiors. Sometimes they agreed, sometimes I was told to execute. Generally they where mondain things. Somehow, news sometimes seemed to reach back to my NCOs before I made it baclk to the CO CP. I never told them about fighting the good fight, I think The NCO Chain of Conern is sometimes faster than the officer Chain of Command. A good leader will never say "the old man is wrong, but he said..." You go in like they were your ideas and support them to your guys. One of the proudest things I  have on the "I Love Me" wall is a pistol (already had a saber), a model Colt Navy 1851. It was given to me the morning I left command by my NCOs. The plaque on it read: CPT (CPL) XXXXX XXXX, ALPHA 6, THANK YOU FOR YOUR HARD WORK, DEDICATION, CARE OF SOLDIERS AND PATIENCE. YOU WILL BE GREALY MISSED. They had paid for it and mounting themselves.The "CPL" part was because the 1SG/ NCO is not always supposed to be the jackass. Sometimes the officers have to play that role. The "patience" was accepting that sometimes frowned upon concept that soldiers are imperfect and handling things at my level when I could with NJP instead of pushing things up just to make points with my boss. The "greatly missed" line was because the guy that replaced me was a cock (although I never would say that to my soldiers). He had already put a target on his own back (not lierally) while he was doing his right seat ride.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 9:59:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Uuuummm,   no.

More comfortable being in the background providing long-range fire support  

^This
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:02:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Never imagined it, lived it.

From quarterbacking midget league football to USMC and still going.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'd like to talk a big game saying I could lead anyone through anything.  The truth is I'm to afraid of failure.  I can't picture myself being able to make the right decision in a stressful situation that would better the group.  Put me by myself and I would fair better.  I'm destined to be a sheep though

Have faith in yourself, West Virginian.
MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:06:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Nah,

Not much chance of that being how I'm just an E-9.

That's not a pineapple son, it's a bursting bomb.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:12:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Genius!  

For real.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:24:47 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have faith in yourself, West Virginian.

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI!
I did for a while.  Got into a job that was mostly run by more experienced people but had a chance to "run the show".  That lasted about a week before i realized the bad decisions I was making.  Voluntarily stepped down.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:35:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I think this is the reason the military produces great leaders - followers see stupid leaders mak terrible decisions that succeed through boldness or competence of subordinates.  Quickly one learns to go forth with confidence and reliance on those around you.

Fear not making an imperfect decision at a critical moment - indecision is far worse.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:51:15 PM EDT
[#49]
I would prefer to be an independant, make my own rules kind of guy.  

I don't work well with incompetent "leaders" if they are making bad decisions, but I have no desire for "power" over others, only the power to keep others from making me do things I don't want to do.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:54:03 PM EDT
[#50]
In all honesty.

One will not know until the time to make the call comes.

And that is a fact.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top