Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:56:01 PM EDT
[#1]
"Sleep, that's where I'm a Viking."

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:57:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?

Love that movie!!

Actually, I keep trying to not be a leader and just be left the fuck alone.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 10:59:50 PM EDT
[#3]
No, I prefer to keep a low profile, slide in and out unseen, and attack with overwhelming firepower when cornered.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:06:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, but in a Cab Calloway kind of way.

I'd look awesome in a white tux.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:08:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Uuuummm,   no.

More comfortable being in the background providing long-range fire support  

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:09:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I lead when I must.  Otherwise, I'll play ninja and disappear.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Leadership can be a curse, careful what you wish for.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:35:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Currently a major and have been blessed with mostly good examples of leadership in both superiors and subordinates alike. By emulating them and learning from bad leadership examples is key. As a young PL I had a great PSG: professionalism, discpline, techincal and tactical competence, physical fitness, understanding imperfections but striving to fix them... Even though our roles were different, he was a postive influence I copied during both in my second PL and CO CMD jobs. I also had one of the best NCOs for a 1SG when I was a CO CDR. I was both loyal to my troops while supporting the BN leadership team. I would disagree in private on a professional level with and explain things to surperiors. Sometimes they agreed, sometimes I was told to execute. Generally they where mondain things. Somehow, news sometimes seemed to reach back to my NCOs before I made it baclk to the CO CP. I never told them about fighting the good fight, I think The NCO Chain of Conern is sometimes faster than the officer Chain of Command. A good leader will never say "the old man is wrong, but he said..." You go in like they were your ideas and support them to your guys. One of the proudest things I  have on the "I Love Me" wall is a pistol (already had a saber), a model Colt Navy 1851. It was given to me the morning I left command by my NCOs. The plaque on it read: CPT (CPL) XXXXX XXXX, ALPHA 6, THANK YOU FOR YOUR HARD WORK, DEDICATION, CARE OF SOLDIERS AND PATIENCE. YOU WILL BE GREALY MISSED. They had paid for it and mounting themselves.The "CPL" part was because the 1SG/ NCO is not always supposed to be the jackass. Sometimes the officers have to play that role. The "patience" was accepting that sometimes frowned upon concept that soldiers are imperfect and handling things at my level when I could with NJP instead of pushing things up just to make points with my boss. The "greatly missed" line was because the guy that replaced me was a cock (although I never would say that to my soldiers). He had already put a target on his own back (not lierally) while he was doing his right seat ride.

You learned from both ends of the chain.  You will do well, sir.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:40:04 PM EDT
[#9]
No, but when I was in the military I was forced into the position. Can't say I cared for it much. I am happy being a little worker bee.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:45:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I cant wait to get my platoon.

Be competent and confident and people will look to you for leadership.

+1

Well shit I'll be a PFC in about 6-7 months so I have a LONG ways to go.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:47:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can be a leader but I prefer to only be one when I know everyone else can't do a better job for me.

Yep, same.

I don't mind taking the leadership position, but I'm not one to seek it out. I'll grab it if no one else is taking it though, or if the person who has it is a fuckup and needs replacement.

I think I've done a very good job when in leadership roles; it's just that I don't like to take them unless nobody else can/will do the job.

Same here. INTJ thing, apparently.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:35:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Yes, but in a Cab Calloway kind of way.

I'd look awesome in a white tux.

Hidy hidy hidy ho!

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:26:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:58:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I was a leader when I was 14 - in the boy Scouts, thanks to a man I despised for about 24 hours...the Scout master, who, upon my first campout as Senior Patrol Leader, met me in the parking lot at the troop building and said "OK, ready for the campout?" I said "yeah sure". He said, "Good, OK then it's all yours". and then he didn't do another thing for the rest of the weekend. Neither did the other dads - other than to put up their own tents and sit back drinking coffee and laughing.

I had to organize 50 kids, 12 vehicles, supervise the loading, convoy, unloading, setting up camp, cooking, clean up - the whole sheebang.

Naturally I had the other patrol leaders to handle their own patrols but they were all 12.... I was the only 14 year old.

It sucked and I hated him and hated it...until it dawned on my on day 2 that THIS was what SPL was all about and you know something...it's pretty cool.

I've been a leader since but it's never been quite the same thrill. I'm a boss now, and I have 'taken charge' in emergency situations with complete strangers, but it's different.

Still, you can learn to be a leader - some guys are naturally alpha males...so they have that gravitas...but they'll follow orders too if you come on strong, give them reasons to follow and PUT THEM TO WORK so they don't start undermining things out of their own natural force of personality.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 12:55:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can be a leader but I prefer to only be one when I know everyone else can't do a better job for me.

Yep, same.

I don't mind taking the leadership position, but I'm not one to seek it out. I'll grab it if no one else is taking it though, or if the person who has it is a fuckup and needs replacement.

I think I've done a very good job when in leadership roles; it's just that I don't like to take them unless nobody else can/will do the job.

Same here. INTJ thing, apparently.

What a coincidence, seeing as I'm an INTJ as well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:18:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Reading through these, I would add that leading and managing are not the same.  Lots of managers are (or would be) terrible leaders.  And sometimes, vice versa.  

Folks don't know what kind of leader they are until things are going really badly.  A true gem performs under that, and those folks are few and far between.  And I've found you don't really know what those folks are until they're in that position.

I miss being a captain, when you actually got to lead and go to the sounds of the guns.  I was better at that than the managing I do now.    
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:21:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I was a leader when I was 14 - in the boy Scouts, thanks to a man I despised for about 24 hours...the Scout master, who, upon my first campout as Senior Patrol Leader, met me in the parking lot at the troop building and said "OK, ready for the campout?" I said "yeah sure". He said, "Good, OK then it's all yours". and then he didn't do another thing for the rest of the weekend. Neither did the other dads - other than to put up their own tents and sit back drinking coffee and laughing.

I had to organize 50 kids, 12 vehicles, supervise the loading, convoy, unloading, setting up camp, cooking, clean up - the whole sheebang.

Naturally I had the other patrol leaders to handle their own patrols but they were all 12.... I was the only 14 year old.

It sucked and I hated him and hated it...until it dawned on my on day 2 that THIS was what SPL was all about and you know something...it's pretty cool.

I've been a leader since but it's never been quite the same thrill. I'm a boss now, and I have 'taken charge' in emergency situations with complete strangers, but it's different.

Still, you can learn to be a leader - some guys are naturally alpha males...so they have that gravitas...but they'll follow orders too if you come on strong, give them reasons to follow and PUT THEM TO WORK so they don't start undermining things out of their own natural force of personality.

In a well-run troop, the adults don't have to do anything, they're just there for insurance reasons.  

Troop Leadership Development school taught that.  It's amazing how many kids came out whose Scoutmasters ran the show.  By the end of the weekend, some couldn't wait to go back and say "It's cool, I got this..."

ETA:  INTJ here, too.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 1:51:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Well I have lead and commanded from the ranks up to company level, hopefully I will get a BN one day.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:27:20 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't like telling other people what to do. But if no one else will step up, I will.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:56:14 AM EDT
[#20]
I kind of end up being the leader in all kinds of situations that I get put in. I don't try to be the leader and I don't go into any situation with any desire to be the leader but once things get going I always get pushed or elected into some type of leadership position. I think it has more to do with most people not wanting or being scared to lead than some people that do. I'm indifferent, I can do what I'm told or I can step up and tell others what to do. So I can imagine myself leading anything.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top