Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/18/2009 5:14:18 PM EDT
I remember the days of Johnny Carson and Ed McMahon...Those guys had class...and they could entertain.
As the years went on, Jay Leno would occasionally take over for Johnny...then he retired and Jay took over the show.
Jay Leno was OK...he gave the show a different look and feel...not like Carson....but he could entertain...

Enter Conan O'Brien

He has the appearance of a stuffed shirt.
He is NOT funny....
He is a pussified liberal wimp, always taking liberal jabs at Boooosh....

He is the most worthless piece of shit to ever host The Tonight Show.

Where did they get this guy?...from behind the counter of the local 7-11???

Good Lord....I miss Carson, he was one funny dude....

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:17:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Okay gramps, back to the nursing home where you belong...
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:18:29 PM EDT
[#2]
He isnt nearly as good as when he was on later, as they have really watered down his show for the earlier time slot.  If you think hes doing a bad job on the Tonight Show, try watching Jimmy Fallon,  by far the worst talk show I have ever seen.   He is god awful and I have no idea how much longer they can stick it out with him.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I like Conan's self deprecating humor.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:20:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I stopped watching when Johnny retired....never cared for Leno, although he had his audience and he did own the late night ratings.
Conan on the tonight show really says a lot about where things have evolved to.
I'm kinda glad Mr. Carson didnt live to see it
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Many of my best memories are of staying up late on Friday nights and watching the Tonight Show, with Johnny Carson, with my dad.

Haven't watched in years.  Not since Johnny's farewell week.  So make that "decades".
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:21:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I like him.  I think Letterman's better, with Ferguson being the funniest.  That said, anything is better than Leno.  Talk about a boring sack of lame ass scripted jokes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#8]
my FIL says the same thing. I like Conan
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:21:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I like Conan's deprecating humor.

Yeah, the "Curse of the Irish" thing he always says is kind of funny.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm only 35...

But GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I've always thought he sucked.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:24:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been watching Conan since he took over Late Night. I think he's funny.

Eta:

He seems nervous since he took over The Tonight Show, and I think he's a bit limited to what he can do in that timeslot as opposed to Late Night.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Is it possible to "disgrace" a TV show???

BTW:  I think Conan is as funny as any of them....... I can take'em or leave'em
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:26:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I like him.  I think Letterman's better, with Ferguson being the funniest.  That said, anything is better than Leno.  Talk about a boring sack of lame ass scripted jokes.

+1 on Ferguson
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:27:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Conan was great later. I can't see them allowing the masturbating bear to be on right after the nightly news.

Craig Ferguson is the best of the bunch though.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:28:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

+1 on Ferguson

This.

Conan sucks.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I hate him as well.  I don't think he is funny at all.  I think they had him on really late so people would be almost asleep and maybe then they thought he was funny but I've never seen anything he does as funny.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#18]
They all suck they should of used Ted Nugent instead...

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#19]
I totally agree;never liked him in a cheap venue much less something as venerable as the Carson show.And I guarantee you he voted for Obama.A non-funny POS like Al Franken;maybe he should run for something.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Conan is funny. Leno is funny.  Letterman is a clown, and a disgrace to television. Craig Ferguson - eh, he's ok.  In the grand scheme of things though, they are all liberal douchebags.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:34:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Conan is a tool. CSPAN is funnier than Conan.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:35:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll give 'ya that Conan is pretty lame, but he's "watchable".  Now, that ass-clown useless idiot Fallon is a REAL piece of shit.  I've never been able to get past his monologue where he laughs at his own "jokes".  How a no-talent fuck like him gets his own TV show just shows that NBC doesn't give a shit what they fill their schedule with.  Seriously, the guy still looks scared to death, has NO talent, isn't funny, and the writers must secretly hate him.  It's embarrassing to watch him.

Wonder how long NBC will put up with that garbage, and just run Leno's 10:00p show at 12:30a as a re-run.

I like Leno.  He's a pretty funny fuck, has good bits and is a car guy, but the 10:00p spot isn't going to work on it's own.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:38:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I haven't watched the Tonight show since i got out of college and got a full time job in 1976. Who the hell can stay up that late?

Ok, I know back to the nursing home with me.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:40:05 PM EDT
[#24]

I think the only thing that saves Conan's show is having Andy Richter back.  Conan needs a side kick otherwise he is a 46 year old man acting like a 12 year old.

Also the previous poster is correct Jimmy Fallon's show is the worst. What the hell was NBC thinking?

I think Jay Leno's new show is a bomb, there is nothing new, it is the same show only he doesn’t have a desk.   Also Leno has had 3 months off to refine is stand up and material....it is the same crap he was doing 3 months ago.  

I used to really like watching both David Letterman and Jay Leno, I stopped watching Letterman several years ago because his politics, and Jay who was always "Mr. Middle of the road" "Mr. Nice Guy" turned into some Obama loving Bush basher who would always take the cheap shots.  I would assume that Jay was always a liberal, but he wasn't as bad as Letterman....well a lot of things changed in 2006-2008.  

I give Jay Leno's new show 4 months.

R.I.P Johnny Carson

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Not funny.  Waste of broadcast timeslot.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:42:01 PM EDT
[#26]
I really like Leno, and I really don't like Conan.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:42:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Conan, Leno, and Letterman all suck when you compare them to Carson. Of the three, I suppose Leno is the least nauseous, but I couldn't watch the other two if they were the only show on TV. They're not funny, have creepy personalities, and are shitty interviewers.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Never-mind, I was confusing him with Jimmy Kimel.  I have no Conan O'Brian comment, I don't think I've ever watched his show (any of them)
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Conan is trying too hard IMO.  I do not care for the show.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:50:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Is it possible to "disgrace" a TV show???

BTW:  I think Conan is as funny as any of them....... I can take'em or leave'em

Yes, yes it is:

The Tonight Show has been on the air since 1954....

The Tonight Show has been hosted by Steve Allen (1954–1957), Jack Paar (1957–1962), Johnny Carson (1962–1992), Jay Leno (1992–2009), and Conan O'Brien (2009–present). The longest-serving host to date was Carson, who hosted The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson for 30 seasons, from the fall of 1962 through the spring of 1992.

A long line of great comedians....then comes Leno, who is OK...not like Carson...but OK..
Then along comes Conan..and FLUSH...straight down the crapper
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Network television has zero class anymore.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#32]
I think Conan was funnier in the later time slot. I think it was because he had to try harder to keep the people from tuning out after Leno

In all honesty I am starting to enjoy Carson Daly's show
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:55:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Conan was great later. I can't see them allowing the masturbating bear to be on right after the nightly news.

But you don't have to make jokes about a bear jerking off to be funny...

Carson understood the art of American Humor, and Lenno does to some extent...

But Conan...no, he doesn't get it...

NBC needs to get rid of this guy, and fast...
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#34]

Johnny was the King of late night.

All the rest have been simply court jesters.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I remember the days of Johnny Carson and Ed McMahon...Those guys had class...and they could entertain.

As the years went on, Jay Leno would occasionally take over for Johnny...then he retired and Jay took over the show.

Jay Leno was OK...he gave the show a different look and feel...not like Carson....but he could entertain...

Enter Conan O'Brien

He is NOT funny....

My only 'Tonight' experience is Leno... Carson had been long gone by the time I started watching....

That said, Conan 'For me to poop on' O'Brien is a freak who belongs back on Late Nite, where he came from...

The 'Tonight Show' is too 'high class' for his schtick...

We do not need 2 hrs of 'Late Nite'....

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#36]
I watched the opener with Conan and did'nt like it. I gave it one more try on nite two and turned the channel after about ten minutes.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:01:58 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I think the only thing that saves Conan's show is having Andy Richter back.  Conan needs a side kick otherwise he is a 46 year old man acting like a 12 year old.

Also the previous poster is correct Jimmy Fallon's show is the worst.
What the hell was NBC thinking?

I think Jay Leno's new show is a bomb, there is nothing new, it is the same show only he doesn’t have a desk.   Also Leno has had 3 months off to refine is stand up and material....it is the same crap he was doing 3 months ago.  

I used to really like watching both David Letterman and Jay Leno, I stopped watching Letterman several years ago because his politics, and Jay who was always "Mr. Middle of the road" "Mr. Nice Guy" turned into some Obama loving Bush basher who would always take the cheap shots.  I would assume that Jay was always a liberal, but he wasn't as bad as Letterman....well a lot of things changed in 2006-2008.  

I give Jay Leno's new show 4 months.
R.I.P Johnny Carson

Leno swings with the wind...

Back between 2001 and 2006, he tended to hit the Dems a bit harder...

He especially had fun with Grey Davis & the California situation...

The political current 'shifts', he changes targets...

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Enter Conan O'Brien

He is NOT funny....

My only 'Tonight' experience is Leno... Carson had been long gone by the time I started watching....

That said, Conan 'For me to poop on' O'Brien is a freak who belongs back on Late Nite, where he came from...

The 'Tonight Show' is too 'high class' for his schtick...

We do not need 2 hrs of 'Late Nite'....

Two great comedians:

Johnny Carson and Richard Pryor...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI3SkxxQmQ4&NR=1

Johnny and Ed....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC-25xPmX7o

Carson and Sam Kinison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZPcjuKsis4&feature=related
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:13:07 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I stopped watching when Johnny retired....never cared for Leno, although he had his audience and he did own the late night ratings.

Conan on the tonight show really says a lot about where things have evolved to.

I'm kinda glad Mr. Carson didnt live to see it

+1

Maybe dating myself, but Johnny C. was the best..............bar NONE

Perhaps there is a generation gap, but funny is still funny.

and the reverse applies, too.

IMHO YMMV

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:14:51 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 on Ferguson

This.

Conan sucks.

+++++++++++++++ 1000

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:15:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
They all suck they should of used Ted Nugent instead...

This FTW!!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:17:55 PM EDT
[#42]
If you were fortunate, you watched Steve Alan and then Jack Parr.  It took Mr. Carson some time to get to Parr's level, however, he made it.  I simply don't watch television any more.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:18:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Conan should have just kept writing for "The Simpsons".
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:19:41 PM EDT
[#44]
I think the biggest disgrace is remembering how funny Letterman used to be, and what total crap his show is now. He doesn't even hide the fact that he doesn't care anymore.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:21:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not going to happen anytime soon. IIRC he has a 4 year contract at $14 million a year.

Why not just watch something else if you don't like him so much?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I think the biggest disgrace is remembering how funny Letterman used to be, and what total crap his show is now. He doesn't even hide the fact that he doesn't care anymore.

Letterman used to be good when he was on NBC....

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:23:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Yep,  pretty much on target.   Conan is a sign of the times I suppose, the dumbing  down of entertainment, etc.   He acts like a 6 year old, a goofy unfunny 6 year old.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:24:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not going to happen anytime soon. IIRC he has a 4 year contract at $14 million a year.

$14 mil a year for that garbage....

It's going to cost them the show....

I normally don't watch it...I just happened to be watching it with my father in law....I turned to him and said "you know, this guy is just NOT funny"...he agreed....TV got turned OFF.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$14 mil a year for that garbage....

It's going to cost them the show....

I normally don't watch it...I just happened to be watching it with my father in law....I turned to him and said "you know, this guy is just NOT funny"...he agreed....TV got turned OFF.

Jay was getting $25 million so they are saving $11 million a year and the ratings haven't dipped that much.

Fun fact: Letterman gets $31,500,000 + show profits and licensing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#50]

Keep posting so I can poop in your thread....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top