Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2009 3:51:29 PM EDT
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7021494

HOUSTON (KTRK) –– A 14-year-old boy was shot during a home invasion. Police say that boy and several others were trying to break in to a house when the homeowner grabbed his gun. The incident happened around 10am, a time when the teenagers should have been in school. The home is on Brandon, near Hondo in southeast Houston.
Investigators say four teenagers brazenly tried to break into the home. What they didn't know was that the homeowner was inside. When one suspect tried to climb through a window, that homeowner fired, hitting the teenager. Alice Handy watched as the young man staggered toward the street.
She said, "It's just sad. I'm still thinking about it, because I've never seen anything like this in my life."

That teen was transported to the hospital. Police then quickly arrested two others, but a fourth suspect got away. All this unfolded in front of the eyes of neighbor Michelle Richardson and her family. They were worried that the teens were going to break into their house next.
Story continues belowAdvertisement"I was told by one of our neighbors we were probably targeted next, for something to happen to us," Michelle said. "It's unfortunate, but you cannot go around stealing from people and breaking into people's homes."

This is something that should never have happened, says local pastor and activist James Nash.
"Police are doing their job," Nash said. "But the parents got to do a better job. There was no reason that this kid would be out here in this community doing what he was doing at this particular time of day. We got to do a better job."
Nash says he wants to hold more community meetings to encourage parents to take responsibility for their children and keep them in school. Neighbors say they don't want to see anything like this home invasion happening again, but they're prepared to defend their families.
Neighbor Michael Haynes said, "I have to do what I have to do, if they come to my house, where I live and lay my head. I'm going to do the same thing he does."

At last check, the young man at the hospital was reportedly in critical condition. The two other men arrested have been questioned by detectives. The homeowner had a number of cameras around the home. Police are collecting that video as evidence.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:55:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Cull the herd.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Hopefully, the POS thug will not be with us much longer.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Was that "article" written by a high school intern?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:58:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:00:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Michelle said. "It's unfortunate, but you cannot go around stealing from people and breaking into people's homes."  

Yup.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:11:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't forget chapter 3,

My baby is a good boy. He didn't need shootin. That man shoulda just gave him what he wanted.  

POS

Great shoot.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:12:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I wonder when the schools will send notes home to the parents reminding them that shooting people for breaking into homes is legal and that they need to steer their kids to a better, safer hobby.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#8]
The homeowner needs shooting lessons.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Stupid hurts

ETA I guess now it kills too
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:18:49 PM EDT
[#10]
That kid got what he deserved. I hope that if he does get a second chance, he uses it wisely.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#11]
A decently written report  that did not have any slant toward faulting the homeowner for once. That's a win in it's self.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:24:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Stupid hurts at any age.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:24:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Seems to be a lot of this going on lately...

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2009/09/decatur_resident_shoots_and_ki.html

What is really sad in situations like this is that the homeowner who was only protecting their lives have to move away or fear retaliation from the relatives of the offenders...
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow, I think that is the most right wing article I've ever read!!!!

In Michigan the neighors would probably say... "why did he have to shoot the kid? Couldn't he just scared him off?"

But then again Michigan's lib-tartedness is usually only in the cities.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:29:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I love Texas
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:31:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Stupid hurts
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top