Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/17/2009 6:50:46 PM EDT
I don't get it.  Why do people laugh at this steaming pile of shit?

Is it because they are so serious yet do such stupid things?  Are mildly awkward social situations funny?

What is it?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:51:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I think its pretty lame overall

does have its moments though
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Because Michael fits the role of that boss who tries to be everyone's friend.  The pranks Jim plays on Dwight are good too.  Also, that one old guy is funny in that crazy old person kind of way.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:53:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Same reason Office Space is funny.

If you don't work in a large corporate/office setting you probably won't get it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Because Michael fits the role of that boss who tries to be everyone's friend.  The pranks Jim plays on Dwight are good too.  Also, that one old guy is funny in that crazy old person kind of way.

You didn't really answer the question in terms I can understand.  Why, exactly, are these things funny?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If you don't work in a large corporate/office setting you probably won't get it.

I thought Office Space was great.  The Office, I don't get.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That old guy plays himself, and is a musician. I was like WTF when I saw his stuff on I tunes. He actually was in a band called "Grassroots" I think.

The Office is Hilarious. Sometimes when I read posts in /gd/ I hear them in a Dwight Schrute voice.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#7]
The creator of that show is pretty much a wannabe Larry David.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This. Also old guy's name on the show is his name in real life and the stuff he reminisces about he really did.

eta: damn...lost again...oh, well...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:56:32 PM EDT
[#9]
i guess the McDonalds fast food worker wouldn't understand
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#10]
It isn't "haha" funny, it is "oh that is funny" funny.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
i guess the McDonalds fast food worker wouldn't understand

Ok, then.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#13]
It isn't.

However, the original British show "The Office" IS funny. The American version sucks balls just like every American-rip-off of a BBC show.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#14]

I like.  I have been in an office setting for 30 years.  You learn alot about people when crammed in an office 8 hours a day..probably too much.
I would think that most people on this site could relate to Dwight..
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:04:26 PM EDT
[#15]
it's not.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:05:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Is it because they are so serious yet do such stupid things?  Are mildly awkward social situations funny?

What is it?

I can't believe I actually agree with reddevil556.    Does that mean we are both wrong ?

I can't stand that show. My 15-20 old daughters own the DVD's . I don't get it. It's not funny and is full of sadness and fail.

I'm actually a fan of Steve Carrel too,
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:05:42 PM EDT
[#17]
boobs
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#18]
The british version funny?  I watched it...unless you are a brit....
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:06:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It isn't.

However, the original British show "The Office" IS funny. The American version sucks balls just like every American-rip-off of a BBC show.

Exactly
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I think it's funny because is succinctly mimics every personality of every office dweller I've ever met.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It isn't.

BBC version is the weakest thing I have ever seen on TV. It has the production quality of Barney Miller, and it was made in 01. BBC office is fuckin fail.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is it?

I can't believe I actually agree with reddevil556.    Does that mean we are both wrong ?

I can't stand that show. My 15-20 old daughters own the DVD's . I don't get it. It's not funny and is full of sadness and fail.

It means reading the stuff I post is beginning to educate you and spark creative and rational thought in your mind.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#23]
It is funny as hell. Just because you don't get the humor, doesn't mean it's lame. It means you're gay. And not good at humor.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Each episode, I get at least one "OMFG HAHAHAHA" moment.

I, too, often read posts here in a Dwight Schrute voice.  Sometimes, though, I'd swear certain members are more like Mose.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I understand the question.  I had to force myself to watch it several times over a 3 year period  before I started enjoying it.  It took a while, but now I think it's a riot.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:23:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think it's funny because is succinctly mimics every personality of every office dweller I've ever met.

This. And this is why Dwight is my avatar. The Office isn't a comedy, more like a documentary on the abilities of modern Corporate America.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:29:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This.

I worked in an office once and that movie and show are pretty much documentries.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:35:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I worked in an office once and that movie and show are pretty much documentries.

I think you've answered the question.  I don't like people like those on the show, and I don't think they are funny when I encounter them in real life.  They elicit from me great rage.  This might be why I don't like watching a show about them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:40:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Because of the idiotic shit Dwight says. It's random and useless information, which is what makes it humorous.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:41:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Because of the idiotic shit Dwight says. It's random and useless information, which is what makes it humorous.

the best was when they had CPR training and Dwight pulls out his big hunting knife and carves the dummies face out and wears it -

honestly Dwight makes the show, Michael gets annoying at times and Jim is okay...

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:44:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
honestly Dwight makes the show, Michael gets annoying at times and Jim is okay...

I agree. Michael sucks and jim is funny once and a while. I like Creed too when he does his creepy shit. One thing that pisses me off is how the characters can change noticeably from episode to episode
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:44:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is it?

It means reading the stuff I post is beginning to educate you and spark creative and rational thought in your mind.

No, I was going to the office long before I was all like to your posts.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I laugh out about twice an every six or seven episodes.

Fixt to represent my feelings on the show.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#34]

Why is The Office funny?

It isn't.  
Now you've wasted a thread and I've wasted a post.  Lets move on.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#35]
If you don't like The Office, what sitcoms do you find funny?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:52:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If you don't like The Office, what sitcoms do you find funny?

None.

But I know why the others are supposed to be funny and why they aren't.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Pam is the type of "plain" office chick that is really hot.

Jan is the MILF boss type that is also really hot.

The jokes are a little more subtle and intelligent, yet if you get them they are fucking hilarious.

If you ever worked in an office is all makes sence.

Especially Kevin, he is the typical office introvert, that is little understood, creepy, yet mostly harmless.

Michael is the worst kiss-ass boss in the world that has no balls, wants to be everyone's friend, and has little to no understanding of his employee's

Jim is the typical "cool guy" slacker, that seems out of place, but it there as he does little more than what he has to, to surivive.

Most of the women occupy the uncomfortable office women types, that are not good looking, awkward and uncomfortable to be around unless you have to.

Stan is the token black guy, just trying to get to his retirement ASAP and keep everyone else at arms length.

Great series.

The comedy isn't the type to hit you in the face right of the bat, for the most part.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:56:30 PM EDT
[#38]
I almost always laugh my ass off. I didn't get it for the first couple episodes for some reason. I think it was the secret santa episode that did it for me. I don't work in corporate but I can still relate. We have similar characters where I work. Things that used to really get on my nerves now make me laugh  cause I will be reminded of a similar office episode.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:14:00 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Pam is the type of "plain" office chick that is really hot.

Jan is the MILF boss type that is also really hot.

The jokes are a little more subtle and intelligent, yet if you get them they are fucking hilarious.

If you ever worked in an office is all makes sence.

Especially Kevin, he is the typical office introvert, that is little understood, creepy, yet mostly harmless.

Michael is the worst kiss-ass boss in the world that has no balls, wants to be everyone's friend, and has little to no understanding of his employee's

Jim is the typical "cool guy" slacker, that seems out of place, but it there as he does little more than what he has to, to surivive.

Most of the women occupy the uncomfortable office women types, that are not good looking, awkward and uncomfortable to be around unless you have to.

Stan is the token black guy, just trying to get to his retirement ASAP and keep everyone else at arms length.

Great series.

The comedy isn't the type to hit you in the face right of the bat, for the most part.

Don't forget Creed.  If he can't SCUBA, then what is he working towards?

hahahhahah

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:15:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Question.  Why is the office funny?

Answer.  Because I said so.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:41:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Work for a large corporation and visit the outlying sites and you'll understand.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:01:56 AM EDT
[#42]
It isn't. I hate awkward humor.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:09:05 AM EDT
[#43]
i feel the same way about seinfeld.

what the fuck is funny about one guy exclaiming "but thats my sisters couch!" and another one popping in the door and answering "my cat loves felt" and then a retarded base guitar playing a few notes?

fuck seinfeld.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:11:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I agree.  It depresses the hell out of me to think that there are people in the world who actually behave in those ways.

I've watched episodes of the show, maybe 3-5% of them, and only once or twice did I ever see a character demonstrate basic moral courage or decency, and then only from bit characters not part of the central cast.

I've met one person in my life who was like them.  He had a little cubicle in a little floor tucked away in some massive corporate headquarters, and he had little ambitions and little dreams and little abilities.  His wild fantasy was to some day work closer to the top floor.

I literally cannot conceive of a life like that, so utterly devoid of imagination, compassion, and courage.

Some people just like to be cogs in machines, I guess.

But what I really don't get, is why anyone would want to watch a show that celebrates that.

And, yes, we all understand the stereotypes.  It's not sophisticated writing, or sophisticated humor.  It's just a show about, by, and for, people who lack dreams.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:53:36 AM EDT
[#45]
How do you explain why something is funny?  

That is like describing the color orange.

Why are the Marx Brothers funny? I can't stand them.  The Office is a great show, you don't like it, move on with your life.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 1:58:52 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:14:42 AM EDT
[#48]

One loser playing pranks on another loser.

Aren't you confused at why Jim is able to reconcile such scorn for his coworkers with the fact that he himself has had the same job as them for five years?

And, at some point, even Larry and Curly hit back at Moe occasionally.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:25:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

One loser playing pranks on another loser.

Aren't you confused at why Jim is able to reconcile such scorn for his coworkers with the fact that he himself has had the same job as them for five years?

And, at some point, even Larry and Curly hit back at Moe occasionally.

LOL. Nope, im not confused. I dont look too deeply into the show. I laugh, so I watch.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:47:37 AM EDT
[#50]
It appeals to certain people, but not everyone.  I don't particularly like it, but I also don't like other sitcoms like Friends, the King of Queens, etc.  Some shows just aren't funny to me no matter how much I want to like them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top