Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2009 4:55:19 PM EDT
I use T-Mobile, and I value getting my bills in paper format through the mail.  Last month they informed me they're going to charge $1.60/month for that.  I called them and told them they can't, since it would be a breach of contract.  Shortly later a supervisor called me back and agreed to provide the paper billing for free. Needless to say, I was a bit surprised they gave in so easily.

Well today in the Wall Street Journal is an article describing how millions of subscribers reacted just as I did, and how Verizon and other providers offer paper for free.  T-Mobile decided to crawl back into their hole with their tail between their legs.  They've given up on the concept entirely.  

No You Can't !
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#1]
explain how it would be a breach of contract, or link the article.

I'm curious, as I have T-Mobile.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd take it the other way, save $1.60 for no paper.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
explain how it would be a breach of contract, or link the article.

I'm curious, as I have T-Mobile.

When you signed up for your (2 year?) contract, they specified what features you'll get and how much each will cost.  Aside from things they don't control, like federal taxes and other miscellaneous federal fees, they cannot increase the price on anything until your contract expires.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hqyRx2nZZN0SA6xAJAUV0LFMiCXgD9AO0FSG1

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:03:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I know the article you are talking about. There has been cases I have heard this going with different cellular companies. People are looking at there bills closely know.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:05:43 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a fee, not part of your signed contract (go read it again).

Link to article and discussion is here:   http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1569388

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:08:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's a fee, not part of your signed contract (go read it again).

Link to article and discussion is here:   http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1569388

If so, then why did they back down when threatened with legal action by the state of NY?  Moreover, what legal action could have been taken if it was just a fee that they could increase as desired?  Apparently they're not free to increase it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:11:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Since I need paper receipts for the tax man, the first cell phone company to charge me for the bill gets dropped.
It's a cost of being in business, you simply have to create a receipt/bill/invoice, it's kind of expected.
little ridiculous not to get one.

if you wouldn't shove the damn bills full of bullshit ads, they wouldn't cost so goddamn much to send.

BTW, I have T mobile and mostly like them, but if they pulled this BS, they'd be gone.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:15:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I can't remember if it was AT&T, or one of the local utility companies that stated theyd take a buck off a month if you went paperless...cause it saves them ALOT more money to not have to print it off. I think T-Mobile needs to go that direction if they want to stop sending out paper bills.

If you need paper bills, theres a thing called a printer you know.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:16:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Actually it was $1.50.  And the decision was because of all the negative feedback they received, which did include yours.  There is no hole and there is no tail between the legs.  It was a simple business decision, not a scared last minute decision.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:21:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I can't remember if it was AT&T, or one of the local utility companies that stated theyd take a buck off a month if you went paperless...cause it saves them ALOT more money to not have to print it off. I think T-Mobile needs to go that direction if they want to stop sending out paper bills.

A.  They already do offer a reduction in your bill if you go paperless.  I don't want it.

B.  If they want me print my own bills they're going to have to pay me for that. It was not part of the contract I signed.

C.  There's the issue of knowing when to pay a bill and how much.  They claim they'll send an email to alert people, and you can log into their web page to find out how much.  Sorry, I don't want any part of that flimsy process with no paper trail. Using that method puts you at their mercy when it comes to disputes.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:26:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A.  They already do offer a reduction in your bill if you go paperless.  I don't want it.

B.  If they want me print my own bills they're going to have to pay me for that. It was not part of the contract I signed.

C.  There's the issue of knowing when to pay a bill and how much.  They claim they'll send an email to alert people, and you can log into their web page to find out how much.  Sorry, I don't want any part of that flimsy process with no paper trail. Using that method puts you at their mercy when it comes to disputes.

I don't know what account you have, but my bill has been due on the same day for the past 5 years (I did change the date from before that)...

I did sign up for the paperless and it works just fine, plus I can download my call history as a pdf which makes life a little easier for me.

Also, if you're that concerned....   from ANY phone you are using with your T-Mobile SIM (that can connect to the T-Mobile Network),  simply dial     #225#  

This gives your balance and date due.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Actually it was $1.50.  And the decision was because of all the negative feedback they received, which did include yours.  There is no hole and there is no tail between the legs.  It was a simple business decision, not a scared last minute decision.

You have a strange view....  If they didn't drop the idea because they were scared of losing customers (or being taken to court) why did they make this "business decision" ?  Obviously they were unprepared for the outcry from customers and the NY AG, so clearly this indeed was a "last minute decision" and they were scared of losing revenue.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Also, if you're that concerned....   from ANY phone you are using with your T-Mobile SIM (that can connect to the T-Mobile Network),  simply dial     #225#

Why would I want to be dependent on their database when disputing a bill?  They could change it at will and I would be at their mercy.  Have you ever had disputes with a phone company?  I had many with Sprint and I was very glad I had all the paper records.
They once tried to tell me I had extended my contract for another two years... I challenged them to produce the evidence and they backed down.

Do you keep records of your tax returns, or do you rely on the IRS records when disputes arise?

I really don't understand people who more and more just rely on electronic records kept on-line by providers.  They're  fine for many things, but not sufficient for financial dealings IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:24:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would I want to be dependent on their database when disputing a bill?  They could change it at will and I would be at their mercy.  Have you ever had disputes with a phone company?  I had many with Sprint and I was very glad I had all the paper records.
They once tried to tell me I had extended my contract for another two years... I challenged them to produce the evidence and they backed down.

Do you keep records of your tax returns, or do you rely on the IRS records when disputes arise?

I really don't understand people who more and more just rely on electronic records kept on-line by providers.  They're  fine for many things, but not sufficient for financial dealings IMHO.

Ha!  Your bill is printed from your providers electronic database.  What's to stop them from changing it before they print it out and mail it to you?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Since I need paper receipts for the tax man, the first cell phone company to charge me for the bill gets dropped.
It's a cost of being in business, you simply have to create a receipt/bill/invoice, it's kind of expected.
little ridiculous not to get one.

if you wouldn't shove the damn bills full of bullshit ads, they wouldn't cost so goddamn much to send.

BTW, I have T mobile and mostly like them, but if they pulled this BS, they'd be gone.

If you can write your cell bill off, you can write the extra $1.60 off.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:38:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ha!  Your bill is printed from your providers electronic database.  What's to stop them from changing it before they print it out and mail it to you?

Ha!  My paper bills go back at least 1-2 years.  If T-mobile tells me my plan changed six months ago I have the paper copy they printed back then to prove it didn't.   They can't get away with altering their database after the bill is sent.

Your logic fu is weak
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top