Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/16/2009 11:52:39 AM EDT
Lets say you are a 22 year old college graduate.

You have decided to join the military.

What branch would it be?  And why?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:53:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Army, because that's what my Dad was in.

He also gave me a stern talking to about joining "those crazy Marines". He said go Airforce if I wanted to go into the Military.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:54:14 AM EDT
[#2]
air force
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#3]
NASA.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Depends on your score on the ASVAB and what you want to do honestly. I started out wanting to do Army Cavalry Scout (still might), but scored a 96 on my ASVAB so now I'm looking at AF Aircrew (specifically Aerial Gunner or Battle Management Systems)
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:55:07 AM EDT
[#5]
NAVY OR Coast Guard
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:55:08 AM EDT
[#6]
USMC.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:55:15 AM EDT
[#7]
It's not that simple.

1. What job/career field/profession do you want to do?
2. What are you qualified to do (degree, GPA, physical fitness level, etc.)
3. What branch of service can deliver to you the job you want (or the closest thing to it) with the qualifications you possess?
4. Talk to an officer recruiter
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:55:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Army. Cause that's the way my dad went.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I already chose the Marines...so I might be biased.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:55:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Depends on your score on the ASVAB and what you want to do honestly. I started out wanting to do Army Cavalry Scout (still might), but scored a 96 on my ASVAB so now I'm looking at AF Aircrew (specifically Aerial Gunner or Battle Management Systems)

I havent looked into this too much.  How does the ASVAB work?  Im guessing a smart college student would score in the 80's - 90's?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

While a gunner may be cool, run the fuck away from ABM unless you like being stuck in a noisy Jstars or Awacs for 14-16 hours at a time without the perks of being AMC aircrew (world travel, nice hotels, etc, etc)

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got a long line of Military in my family. I was pretty much first that didn't join (which isn't by choice).

Given a choice, i'd probably go with the Army.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:56:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Do that.
Don't do that.  Gay fucking job.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Coasties or Nav
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:56:43 AM EDT
[#15]
United States Marine Corps

Why?  
I wanted to (still do ) be an infantryman and they have, in my opinion, the best infantry we offer.
Too bad I had asthma and they wouldn't take me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:57:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I went Air Force, I should have joined the military instead. If I did it over again it'd be Marines most likely.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Let's see - Air Force hottie in Playboy...
AIr Force singing hottie thread froma  few days ago...

Yup.  Air Force.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I havent looked into this too much.  How does the ASVAB work?  Im guessing a smart college student would score in the 80's - 90's?

I should hope so.  The ASVAB is designed for high school kids to take it and I remember it being really simple.  Probably not past a 10th grade level.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#19]
removed
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's not that simple.

3. What branch of service can deliver to you the job you want (or the closest thing to it) with the qualifications you possess?

1. Unsure
2. GPA - Around graduation 3.3 for that particular college.  Probably 3.4 or 3.5 overall.  (took lower division classes at community college GPA did not transfer)  Physical fitness level - EXCELLENT
3. Im not really sure, I am thinking marines.  I want to be on the ground with other troops, not behind a desk.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:57:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a percentile score, so of all the people who take it, the average score is 50.  On arfcom though, we tend to average about 98-99.  We're just that good.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Army. I can get up to their standards (I'm overweight now) but I doubt I could make it in the Corps.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

It's not that simple.

5.  Do you plan on making a career of the .mil?

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:59:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not that simple.

1. Unsure

2. GPA - Around graduation 3.3 for that particular college.  Probably 3.4 or 3.5 overall.  (took lower division classes at community college GPA did not transfer)  Physical fitness level - EXCELLENT

3. Im not really sure, I am thinking marines.  I want to be on the ground with other troops, not behind a desk.

EOD

Combat Engineer

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#25]
WHAT is it that you want to do in the military???

Each Branch has it's own "FLAVOR".....

A lot of what you want to do will will determine what service to join....
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:00:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not that simple.

1. Unsure

What's your major?  

If you can't answer #1 you're setting yourself up for failure.  If you need to talk to a shitload of us active/former/retired .mil types until you figure out what you want to do, take the time and do it. Visit all the various service's recruiting websites and browse through the jobs that are out there.  When you go to a new car lot do you go looking for a 1/2 ton pickup, or just show up and buy what looks shiny?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Honestly, the Marines have superior PR.  If you are not stuck on one particular MOS, consider going that route.

For comparison.After you ETS from the Army, you are just ex-Army.

Once a Marine, always a Marine.  

otoh, if you like better food and quality of life, and don't like PT too much, then go Navy or Airforce.  

If I had to do it all over again, I would probably pick coastguard.   Your life is more Civilian-esc, but you have Government style benifita and retirement.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:00:05 PM EDT
[#28]
USAF

I highly respect and do not have a second's doubt about the bad-assness of the USA and USMC and USN...

but when we're talking about pure power projection...the ability to rain fire from the sky like the USAF can, well its just breathtaking
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:02:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Army. I can get up to their standards (I'm overweight now) but I doubt I could make it in the Corps.

If you are serious, come see me.  I will get you from fat body to muscle bound jock in 6 months.  You will not like it though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

air force

But I am a bit biased.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:03:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Im pretty certain I want something along the lines of Air Force or Marines.

Reason being...

I kind of want to be infantry... on foot with other troops.

But I feel Air Force would lead to more opportunities for me and a more relaxed lifestyle.

The main thing that worries me is... lets say I finish college, join either one of those branches.  I finish serving and I want to start a family and live a "civilian" life.  What would I be able to do?  From an Air Force perspective this may be possible, but Im not too sure...
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#32]
ACORN
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:05:31 PM EDT
[#33]
If I were ever to join the military I would want to be a medic of some sort, whether it be a pj, infantry medic, or a medic for a sf team. My granfather was a Ranger in World War II and I've always wanted to do that as well, but I don't know if you can be a medic AND a ranger?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

ACORN

Don't you have to have a few felony convictions and live on welfare to qualify for them?

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:06:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a percentile score, so of all the people who take it, the average score is 50.  On arfcom though, we tend to average about 98-99.  We're just that good.  

Marines
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:06:33 PM EDT
[#36]
I DID choose the Navy.
5sub
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Chair.................I mean Air Force.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:07:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Reason being...

But I feel Air Force would lead to more opportunities for me and a more relaxed lifestyle.

I choose the Marines.  Loved it.  Very proud of it.  Would still be in if I had a choice in the matter.  Hell if the doctors could fix me right now I would quit my job and go through boot came again just to get back in if I had to.  And boot camp sucks big time.  

I dont know how it is with the other branches from personal experience but the community of Marines even after you are discharged is very tight.  I dont see that so much with the other branches.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:08:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
ACORN

Don't you have to have a few felony convictions and live on welfare to qualify for them?

After another year or so of Hope and Change, I should be fully good to go.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:09:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t133/Stlrain0341/GTSCORE.jpg

Marines

where did you access that screenshot of your ASVAB score?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:10:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t133/Stlrain0341/GTSCORE.jpg

Marines

where did you access that screenshot of your ASVAB score?

MOL
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:11:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Obama's Brown Shirts FTW
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Honestly, the Marines have superior PR.  If you are not stuck on one particular MOS, consider going that route.

For comparison.After you ETS from the Army, you are just former-Army.

Once a Marine, always a Marine.  

otoh, if you like better food and quality of life, and don't like PT too much, then go Navy or Airforce.  

If I had to do it all over again, I would probably pick coastguard.   Your life is more Civilian-esc, but you have Government style benifita and retirement.

Fixed.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:15:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reason being...

I choose the Marines.  Loved it.  Very proud of it.  Would still be in if I had a choice in the matter.  Hell if the doctors could fix me right now I would quit my job and go through boot came again just to get back in if I had to.  And boot camp sucks big time.  

I dont know how it is with the other branches from personal experience but the community of Marines even after you are discharged is very tight.  I dont see that so much with the other branches.

I hear every Marine say that.  They all love it.  Im guessing they build such a unique strong bond with one another.  That is kind of what I want as well, and being an Officer I want to motivate and help the other Marines.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:16:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's not that simple.

1. Unsure

ranger, or green beret...maybe?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:17:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reason being...

You do realize that once you became a Marine you dont go through Recruit Training agian, huh Devil?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Navy because thay had the best construction unit, SeaBees.
You better decide on the job you want before you pick a branch.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#48]
or you could be like me and give the ARFCOM answer....BOTH

i spent almost 7 years in the Corps as a combat engineer. now i'm flying for the Army. i would've stayed in the Corps but they don't have WO pilots.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:22:07 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Reason being...

I hear every Marine say that.  They all love it.  Im guessing they build such a unique strong bond with one another.  That is kind of what I want as well, and being an Officer I want to motivate and help the other Marines.

Marines also have the worst first term retention (people who actually decide to stick around) of any branch of service.  In other words, they talk a good game, but very few have the intestinal fortitude to put up with the bullshit in their branch of service past their initial obligation.  There are a shitload more former Marines than there are Retired Marines, which isn't so much true of the Air Force.  Most of us are actually willing to stick around and put our money where our mouth is when we brag about our service.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 12:23:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yeah, you're too smart to be a scout.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top