BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
How did the people get into the city?  Parking spaces?  Metro ridership?  There are ways of making a scientific estimate, only I would bet the administrators with this data are keeping it mighty close.

We parked in Springfield, Va (southern most Metro stop) at about 9:30.  Waited an hour to get a metro ticket.  Boarded the train to standing room only.  Stopped at freedom plaza with an even more packed out train at 11:25.  Trains were stopping every 7 minutes on the blue line alone.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How did the people get into the city?  Parking spaces?  Metro ridership?  There are ways of making a scientific estimate, only I would bet the administrators with this data are keeping it mighty close.

We parked in Springfield, Va (southern most Metro stop) at about 9:30.  Waited an hour to get a metro ticket.  Boarded the train to standing room only.  Stopped at freedom plaza with an even more packed out train at 11:25.  Trains were stopping every 7 minutes on the blue line alone.

We beat you by a little bit.   We got to Springfield just before 9am.   I waited about 25 mintutes for a ticket.   By the time we got our tickets and headed down to the metro the line to get tickets was well up the raised walkway.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2009-01-19-crowd_N.htm

The people were out to the 2nd/3rd dot

That is how I saw it when I started to walk around.

Keep in mind as well that people were not standing around as much as they would have for say an inauguration.  The picture above shows the mall and would be good for estimating that portion, but would not include the stream of people still coming down Constitution Avenue.  As people were still arriving, some people began to disperse to visit the monuments, memorials, etc because back that far it was hard to hear.  The monuments were pretty busy as I'm sure many of the out of state people were seeing them for the first time.

I live this close and have not been to the city other than a hockey game 1 block from the metro since about 1990, so I went to check out the WWII Memorial and the Korean War Memorial... stopped at the others too of course.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
eleventy billion people there

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:23:48 PM EDT
[#5]
There were 3 billion there, all in line for the pisser when I needed to use it!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:36:00 PM EDT
[#6]
More than 87  
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:42:09 PM EDT
[#7]
No way in hell it was 1.5 million, or more than The One's inauguration, but it was probably more than "tens of thousands."

My guess:  150,000-300,000.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#8]
All I know is I'm going to endeavor to be there next year.  It'll be right before midterm elections, and I PRAY we have some GOOD CANDIDATES.  

I have a couple friends that live in the area (NoVA), so I'll get there a few days early and do some sight seeing, and make some signs.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Glenn Beck said a software company that does this type of thing came up with 1.7 Million, can't remember the name of it, he said it on the radio today, anyone have it?

IIRC, Glenn Beck said that the University of Indiana (or was it Indiana University) has a software program designed specifically for crowd estimation. The number they come up with is 1.7 million people at the event. That's the number I'll go with.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:23:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Glenn Beck said a software company that does this type of thing came up with 1.7 Million, can't remember the name of it, he said it on the radio today, anyone have it?

IIRC, Glenn Beck said that the University of Indiana (or was it Indiana University) has a software program designed specifically for crowd estimation. The number they come up with is 1.7 million people at the event. That's the number I'll go with.

Found it http://www.scribd.com/doc/19743935/The-Real-Number-of-Protesters-Zac-Moilanen

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:13:47 PM EDT
[#12]
My Mom and Dad went. I was going to go w/them too but got caught up in a work sitution. Mom emailed me these pics though and said it was awesome

my folks are both in their mid 70's and the guy wearing the Gadsen flag cape is my cranky old Dad. The beautiful woman with the LOL sign by the fox truck is my Mom.   I love em both for going! This is what her camera brought back.

And the Ohio contingent gathers together

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:19:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No way in hell it was 1.5 million, or more than The One's inauguration, but it was probably more than "tens of thousands."

So, would you care to tell us what gives you better info than DC metro and a university people counter?
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Easily 1 million.

I have been in many crowds of 50k-100k before. I know what it looks like. This was easily 1 million people.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, would you care to tell us what gives you better info than DC metro and a university people counter?
Pulled it out of his ass...

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:15:51 PM EDT
[#16]

i know it was way more than a 100,000 because Beaver Stadium at Penn State holds 108,000 roughly and there were way more people than that stadium could hold, way more.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:12:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You're right, I even said I did, and I stand by it until proven otherwise, which hasn't happened.

Nearly 2 million people is a lot more than some of you think.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:15:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right, I even said I did, and I stand by it until proven otherwise.

DC Metro gave estimates as did a university people counter, and both came to the mid-million range. That's as scientific as you're going to get, and far more scientific than your ass.

You have been proven wrong.

You can also prove yourself wrong by looking up photographs of rallies in your specified range and then comparing them to the aerial photos of the 9/12 rally and noting the stark difference.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:56:20 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't think it exceeded 500,000

The traffic cam shots @ Freedom Plaza are no more than 250,000

I haven't see a single image that shows people filling up beyond 4th St.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:03:18 AM EDT
[#20]

I'd say like...14 people?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:18:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I thought this question had already been answered:

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:28:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:06:13 AM EDT
[#23]

I wouldn't use that pic to make the argument for any number greater than 300,000 or so
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:41:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right, I even said I did, and I stand by it until proven otherwise, which hasn't happened.

The original millions claims came from FreedomWorks "misquoting" ABC news, then being quoted by Malkin and spread over the blogosphere. Rush quoted the Daily Mail as 2m to 4m. But the DC police said 60-75k. FreedomWorks backpedaled to 600-800k. Glen Beck said his counter was from the University of Illinois, (and there are news articles about a Univ Illinois professor back at Obama's inauguration giving 1.7m for it), but he's never given a name or source or link. His initial estimates were IIRC in the hundred of thousands.

Back at Obama's inauguration, the park service estimated a turnout of 1.4m; stating "If the National Mall is densely packed from Third Street to the Washington Monument, and if the area from the monument to the Lincoln Memorial has an average density, the space could contain 1.5 million people. Average density is one person per 5 square feet. A tightly packed crowd has a density of one person per 2.5 square feet."
By that standard, the 9/12 protest was definitely under 600-800k, probably a lot less.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:50:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The original millions claims came from FreedomWorks "misquoting" ABC news, then being quoted by Malkin and spread over the blogosphere. Rush quoted the Daily Mail as 2m to 4m. But the DC police said 60-75k. FreedomWorks backpedaled to 600-800k. Glen Beck said his counter was from the University of Illinois, (and there are news articles about a Univ Illinois professor back at Obama's inauguration giving 1.7m for it), but he's never given a name or source or link. His initial estimates were IIRC in the hundred of thousands.

Back at Obama's inauguration, the park service estimated a turnout of 1.4m; stating "If the National Mall is densely packed from Third Street to the Washington Monument, and if the area from the monument to the Lincoln Memorial has an average density, the space could contain 1.5 million people. Average density is one person per 5 square feet. A tightly packed crowd has a density of one person per 2.5 square feet."
By that standard, the 9/12 protest was definitely under 600-800k, probably a lot less.

One the DC police never gave an official estimate. The unofficial number linked to above is ludicrous as it was 11:45AM and in no way a real count not traceable to anything as it is unofficial, from a unnamed source. My guess is this was intentional low number fishing by ABC.

Second we know that DC Metro rail and bus rider numbers were up around 300,000 above normal. Best estimates are 100,000+ more came on chartered buses.

Third the picture above using Park Service grids for a seated crowd and for a crowd not dispersed as far to the left and right tells us there are more that 300,000 people in that static picture. And the picture does not include those people out Pennsylvania and Maryland Ave and side streets.

We have traffic counters reporting nearly 1.5 million total… assume that is way high and cut that number by two thirds and you still have 500,000.

Anything you look at that has verifiable numbers not unnamed sources untraceable sources indicates a crowd of no less than 400,000 and that means there were more.

Using a low estimate we are looking at probably 500,000 people or seven times MSM estimates… there is only one conclusion one can reach, the MSM are actively trying to suppress the number. They did not want to see it so they did not see it.

Bottom line is you had a crowd that far exceeded anything that establishment pundits expected and they do not like that fact.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:12:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Anyone have a link to the ObamaCare Rx (Bend Over, this is going to hurt) sign/image above?

I'd like to print it up for my office.

AFARR
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#27]
We could get a very accurate attendance number if you count up all the legs and divide by two....or in my case...three.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#28]
My wife, baby, and I arrived around 12:30.  Subjectively, it wasn't that hard to move around, even with a stroller.  It was big, but the high end estimates are completely out-to-lunch.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:30:57 AM EDT
[#29]
but the 1999 MMM crammed 750,000 on 1.5 blocks of the Mall

It must be true, cause i read it in the Washington Post

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 11:33:57 AM EDT
[#30]
This problem will be rectified with RFID implants.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're right, I even said I did, and I stand by it until proven otherwise.

DC Metro gave estimates as did a university people counter, and both came to the mid-million range. That's as scientific as you're going to get, and far more scientific than your ass.

You have been proven wrong.

You can also prove yourself wrong by looking up photographs of rallies in your specified range and then comparing them to the aerial photos of the 9/12 rally and noting the stark difference.

Upon further reading, it appears that I'm not the only person with doubts about 1.5+ million.

I'm not putting down the rally, or the people who attended, by any means.  Ultimately, it doesn't matter what you, I or Glenn Beck thinks about the crowd size, it's the message that counts.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:22:07 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Anyone have a link to the ObamaCare Rx (Bend Over, this is going to hurt) sign/image above?

AFARR

Do you want that particular image or a closeup of the sign?  I could ask my mom to send me the full res version of the image for you, but I don't know who the guy is with the sign.  

It's a fairly common theme though.  Here's a site that sells T-shirts, mugs and bumper stickers etc with that on it.

http://www.zazzle.com/obamacare_bend_over_bumper_sticker-128800602690717882
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#33]
870,000 people were there.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:27:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

AFARR

Do you want that particular image or a closeup of the sign?  I could ask my mom to send me the full res version of the image for you, but I don't know who the guy is with the sign.  

It's a fairly common theme though.  Here's a site that sells T-shirts, mugs and bumper stickers etc with that on it.

http://www.zazzle.com/obamacare_bend_over_bumper_sticker-128800602690717882

I was looking for the sign itself (image)...specifically with the stick figure guy.     I did see a T Shirt, but can't capture the image...just want the pic for no (although a mug wouldn't be bad either).

Thanks for the link...lots of good stuff in there.

AFARR
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top