BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2002 6:42:27 AM EDT
I just got laid off.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 6:46:16 AM EDT
[#1]
bummer

Maybe some free time to catch up on honing your shooting skills.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 6:52:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Yup, I think I'm goin' shootin' today.

***Edited to add: And [b]not[/b] back at the office, either! You will not be hearing about me on the news.***
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 7:01:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 7:14:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Jarhead,

Sorry to hear that you were laid off.

What kind of work?

Link Posted: 2/8/2002 7:17:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 7:28:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, Jarhead_22, if you've got any updated resumes lying about, you may wish to spread them around the Board!

And you can bring a couple to the Mesquite Gun Show this Saturday!

Eric The(We'llBeInChargeOfMakingYouFeelBetterSaturday!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 7:37:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I feel for ya, man.  They just canned the best guy in our division, for no reason other than somebody didn't like him.  Now, all of his projects are at a dead stop, and the idiots up top are wondering why.  Ever since, I've had this feeling of dread and have been looking over my shoulder constantly.  I worked with the guy on a lot of projects, many of them not yet finished, and I can't help but wonder if I'm next.  I was working on my resume all last night, just in case.  Good luck.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 7:47:03 AM EDT
[#8]
so did I on monday but got a 3 day gig at the end of the month.  Its been a long time.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 7:52:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just got laid off.
View Quote

Jarhead, Dell is hiring. Send me your resume to [email][email protected][/email], and I'll put you into the hiring pipe. No guarantees, but it can't hurt.

Just Jarhead. The rest of yas, apply through the front same as everyone else.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 7:58:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry to hear that.  Hope you find something soon but in the meantime...HAVE FUN!!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 8:37:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Jarhead_22,
Sorry to hear that man!
I'm going to shoot tonight with a guy I met last weekend.  If you want to shoot some HK's (pistols) with us as well as an AR, a Sig 550, and an AUG A2 (the SIG and AUG arent mine though), email me and I will let you know the meeting place and time.
Colin
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 9:40:10 AM EDT
[#13]
More time to moderate your forums, now hop to it. (cracks whip over head) [:D]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 10:10:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 10:19:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
More time to moderate your forums, now hop to it. (cracks whip over head) [:D]
View Quote

These freeking MINORITIES!

You give them a position of "power" and they become tyrants![:D]
View Quote

In the old country its called being ambitious [;D]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Post from lordtrader -
In the old country its called being ambitious
View Quote

You know what, lordtrader? You got spunk! I mean, lots of spunk!

[b]And if there's anything I hate, it's spunk![/b]

[Sorry, I stole that line from Lou Grant's first meeting with Mary Richards on the 'Mary Tyler Moore Show']

BTW, are you going to grace us with your presence tomorrow afternoon? You'd better!

You, too, Jarhead_22, for sure!

Eric The(Cheery)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Any chance you can claim it was WTC-related?  Greedy Neuvo Jorkers are raking it in, compliments of you and I. [;)]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 10:56:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
BTW, are you going to grace us with your presence tomorrow afternoon? You'd better!

You, too, Jarhead_22, for sure!

Eric The(Cheery)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Unforutnately, I am so broke, compared to me beggars are millionares. Not gonna make its.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#19]
I heard through the grapevine they were looking for doorman at Billy Bob's. [:D]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just got laid off.
View Quote

Same here bro! Got the news yesterday. Went to TWC this morning to register. Luckily, I saved liked a miser this past couple of years.

Hope everything goes well for us.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 2:16:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the good wishes, y'all. I'm getting the details on the severance package on Monday, so I'll know more then.

I'm sure not looking forward to telling Mrs. Jarhead when she gets home from work in an hour. [:(]

satcong: Telecom installation and project management.

Spearweasel: Just lost my resume in a harddrive crash (Dell Latitude laptop [:D]) last month, but a new one is in the works and will be coming your way. Thanks!

colinjay: I have a feeling I'll be busy maintaining an even strain with the Mrs. tonight, but thanks.

lordtrader: Aye Aye, sir!

SJSAMPLE: Hmmm, I'll have to consider how this was Osama's fault. If I can work him into the mix, maybe I'll qualify for some of that cash money!

1GUNRUNNER: My belt buckle ain't big enough for that job. Maybe if I get the grill off a '48 Mercury and attach it to a belt...

Good luck to my fellow "between opportunities" personnel, and thanks again for the good wishes.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 3:17:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Hell jarhead, now that you've got all this free time, you can come over and help me baby-sit our "unholy trinity" while their Mom's at work. [:D]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Jarhead, you weren't with Nortel were you?  I got laid off back in March with them and now I am putting in Succession (voice over IP) switches and Passport 15k as well as Access Nodes in the Caribbean as a Nortel contractor.  Also MVIE and ISME frames.  If all that means anything to you, I have a number for you to call.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 4:38:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Ran into this one in the news today:
[url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/cn/20020208/tc_cn/from_high_tech_to_blue_collar&printer=1[/url]

[:(]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 5:17:59 PM EDT
[#26]
DonR Wrote:

Hell jarhead, now that you've got all this free time, you can come over and help me baby-sit our "unholy trinity" while their Mom's at work.
View Quote

Jarhead does he mean that he wants you to come over and shoot his M4/203; Drive his M1A1 Abrahms and Fly his Apache Helocopter???

That would be a trinity wouldn't it??

Link Posted: 2/8/2002 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hell jarhead, now that you've got all this free time, you can come over and help me baby-sit our "unholy trinity" while their Mom's at work. [:D]
View Quote

Can I bring an ASP baton and a bottle of Ritalin? [:D]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Jarhead, you weren't with Nortel were you?  I got laid off back in March with them and now I am putting in Succession (voice over IP) switches and Passport 15k as well as Access Nodes in the Caribbean as a Nortel contractor.  Also MVIE and ISME frames.  If all that means anything to you, I have a number for you to call.
View Quote

Yes, it was Nortel. I don't know jack about Succession, but I spent 5 years in the field putting in DMS-100/200/250/500 stuff, including a couple of big initials. I did MVIEs and ISMEs, of course.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 5:32:51 PM EDT
[#29]
From the article posted by 71_Hour_Achmed:

"A year ago, Jose Carlos Cavazos was enthusiastic about his new career in telecommunications and his position with [b]Nortel Networks[/b]. Now he's throwing mail on the night shift at a U.S. Postal Service distribution center for $13 an hour.

Cavazos didn't plan to go from high-tech to blue collar. But after eight months without a job, the 37-year-old Raleigh, N.C., resident had burned through his 401(k) savings and was nearing the end of unemployment insurance."

You gotta do what you gotta do. I've had worse jobs than mail guy for sure, and I'll get by.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, it was Nortel. I don't know jack about Succession, but I spent 5 years in the field putting in DMS-100/200/250/500 stuff, including a couple of big initials. I did MVIEs and ISMEs, of course.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
View Quote
Wonder how I knew?  The Nortel guy that I am working with down here got word from his old boss in the states that they wanted him to come back to work on OC192's for a certain customer.  Earlier this week, he got told everything was frozen because of more layoffs.  Right now, some groups have more work than they can do, but they are laying off people.  Go figure.  You have mail on your non-Nortel address.  Call me.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 7:05:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Jarhead22
You got laid off??? Who did such a Talent like you lose your job?? HaHaHaHaHA
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You got laid off??? Who did such a Talent like you lose your job??
View Quote

Dungas, is that you man?
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 9:12:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Jarhead22
You got laid off??? Who did such a Talent like you lose your job?? HaHaHaHaHA
View Quote

[b]How[/b] did such a useless little puddle of cold puke like you ever figure out how to use a computer? Did your daddy climb off your sister long enough to dial in for you? Or did you promise that "special uncle" of yours that no one in the family likes to talk about, a "special treat" if he'd post your dickless comment?

Stop jerking off to Sesame Street, quit picking your fleabite scabs, go to the kitchen and pour a big bowl of go fuck yourself.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 9:15:56 PM EDT
[#35]
I've obviously got a stalker. Check out the vaginal blood fart's profile:

TravisBickle14

Name: Jeff Smith
State: TX
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 9:38:09 PM EDT
[#36]
He’s gone. Don R killed him. I hope it was painful.

Watch for future screen names derived from Robt. Di Niro movie characters.

Good riddance.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 5:32:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Dang, I thought I'd get to work out some aggression on an easy target: having a battle of wits with the unarmed. [argue]

If he's got a hair on his scabby little ballsack, he'll email me and tell me what's up his stretched out ass.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 5:41:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Gee, [b]Jarhead_22[/b], you got a stalker!

Too bad it wasn't Jodie Foster or some lovely chick mentioned on that other, er, thread!

Eric The(Jealous)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 5:46:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Lemme know if you want me to shoot your resume to her.

Job Description
Job Title (ID) Location Date Openings

Project Manager - Cable Sales (01-216-001159) Atlanta GA
Pasadena CA  Dec 13 1

Career Band/Zone/Level Hiring Manager

Prof - Purple - 1 HILARY P.  

Requirements

The Cable Sales project manager is responsible for leading projects involved in rolling out cable through the sales channels. This includes
scoping, controlling and lauching cable sale projects, effectively leading internal project teams, analyzing and solving operational issues with regard to cable sales.  

Skills/Experience

Experience in project managing both operational and systems related projects.
Familiarity with sales and call centers is a plus.
Experience in writing requirements documents, project plans, and status reports.
Expeience in performing risk analysis, business process analysis, and impact analysis.
Experience coaching other PM's.
Must be superb in both written and verbal communications

Requirements/Education

BA in business or other related fields and/or equivalent work experience.

Project Management Professional (PMP) certification a plus
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 9:29:53 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Sorry to hear about the layoff , Jarhead_22. Telecom is kinda, um, unstable right now that's for sure. Where I work we have some Nortel Transport and Access Nodes, but mostly Lucent (antiquated crap) and more recently Cisco ONS transport systems. BTW, did you ever do any DMS installs in Baltimore? Wondering if I may have met you since I've worked on several DMS's here over the last 6 years or so, both with MCI and AT&T.
Hang in there! LarryG sounds like he may have an opportunity for ya (damn I hope I get this kind of support if I don't make it through the next cut!).
Also, make sure you have some fun while you have a little time off!!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 10:55:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top