Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2002 5:44:36 PM EDT
Okay the new Police Magazine came today and it has an article on the Leupold Mark 4 CQ/T red dot variable power scope.  How has used on and what are your thoughts on it?  How have you mounted it, straight to a flat top or did you use a base or a sleeve?
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 7:26:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Saw one at the gunshow.  My first impression was not very good.  The model we were looking at was not mounted on a rifle.  The optic was hard to acquire, but the clarity was very clear and sharp.  The sight, itself was very sharp.

Well, my buddy goes to a professional conferance and see's one again, this time mounted on a flat top AR.  He nearly wet himself over how impressive it was.  He says it was very quick to acquire, bright and would be very deadly on any CQB long gun.  He told me it
would be a upcoming purchase.

So I'm holding on my initial impression seeing
how my buddy was right there with me while
we were looking at it during the gunshow.  Then
comes home telling me, he will have one.

So it still looks to be promising.  Oh yeah, btw
I wouldn't put it on anything else but a
flattop model.

Good luck
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 11:00:56 PM EDT
[#2]
The one I saw 9on an AR at the SHOT Show had an amber dot in an amber circle.  Nice piece of gear.  A bit pricey.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 4:25:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I had been unable to get the Search function to work last night, but did a topic search this A.M., so I see there are already some satisfied owners out there.
I do plan on mounting it on a flat top, with a ARMS #40 flip-up rear and a BM 3 rail gas block with the BM flip up front sight.  I was just wondering if a base mount was necessary to get proper height.
This might be the income tax purchase this year.  I'll post a report if I do go ahead with the purchase.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 4:35:56 AM EDT
[#4]
What's the retail prices you guys are seeing????

Link Posted: 2/6/2002 5:36:00 AM EDT
[#5]
A couple of other threads have indicated around $700.00 from SWFA.  I'll be contacting them first when I am ready to purchase and see what's available.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 5:46:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Ive got one...I give it a slightly higher rating than my TA11... number one its a variable scope..1x3  the optics are clear the reticle is crisp..on the low power its as effective as an aimpoint or holoscope with slightly less distortion of the reticle than the aimpoint. The OE function works great on low power and is resonable on higher setting..The reticle unlit is crisp as well and easy to pick up and point ..The reticle is fairly easy to see in the dark with little ambient light..If you are cross dominant it works well as you also have a scope with illuminated cross hairs..For my money this is the best compromise scope out there...Battery life is an issue..but you really dont need the higher settings anyway..and even with battery failure youve still got a good reticle and with a flashlight easy to pick up on the target
Donny at [url]www.sableco.net[/url] is selling these for $680
[email][email protected][/email]
Phone (309)496-3030 for best prices
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 5:50:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 5:55:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks 9didoc & Paul -
I am cross dominant, right handed with a left master eye, so that is an issue for me.  
Also now in my 40's, I can use a little magnification help on occassion.  
Battery life is an issue, but the commonality of an AA battery negates that issue somewhat.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 5:57:53 AM EDT
[#9]
If you are cross dominant it works well as you also have a scope with illuminated cross hairs..[/quote]

Doc, thanks a whole bunch.  I was able to ignore your other worthless drivel about this being a fine scope, etc., but you had to work in cross dominant !  [:D]

I do just happen to have a $200.00 credit at SWAFA so I only neeed.....
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 2:45:56 PM EDT
[#10]
What are the colors?  I see red and amber mentioned.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 7:20:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Not a red-dot... Has a circle/dot affair.

From looking at it @ SHOT... It's too long, big, and felt rather cheap/flimsy compared to the Aimpoint M-series. The power knob was junk.

Trijicon debuted a new sight at SHOT... It was a wacky knock-off of the Aimpoint. It has three power sources... Tritium, fiber, and batts. I didn't really like it either. But, it was a step better than the Leupold.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 7:43:57 PM EDT
[#12]
We have had a good response to them. Our current price is $679
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 7:45:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not a red-dot... Has a circle/dot affair.

From looking at it @ SHOT... It's too long, big, and felt rather cheap/flimsy compared to the Aimpoint M-series. The power knob was junk.

Trijicon debuted a new sight at SHOT... It was a wacky knock-off of the Aimpoint. It has three power sources... Tritium, fiber, and batts. I didn't really like it either. But, it was a step better than the Leupold.
View Quote

AcidGambit - Do either the new Trijicon or the Aimpoint M - series offer magnification or are they just sights and not a sight and low power scope combo?  So far, yours is the most negative report.  
I have several Leupold scopes and have always been pleased with the quaility and features for the money spent.  What was the clarity like with the 4 CQ/T at 3 power?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top