Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/25/2009 3:20:53 PM EDT
So the wife and I are in the market for a new gas grill. We are leaning toward Webber. Lets hear the hive mind.
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 3:21:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Weber

IBTGGH (InBeforeTheGasGrillHaters)
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Weber is top notch.
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 3:23:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Weber

IBTGGH (InBeforeTheGasGrillHaters)

I was just passing by when I lol'd at your avatar.
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Weber, no doubt.
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 3:28:26 PM EDT
[#5]
buy a $100 one every year as they all turn to shit i got a $600 pos going to the dump ,replacements parts not to spek cost alot and i am pissed
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 3:28:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I have been of the opinion I'll get the cheap $100 grill over and over when they rust out.

After replacing some older worn parts (fast and easy) on my folks Weber gas grill I must say If you keep it covered/take it in for the winter then the Weber wins hands down.  Worth the extra scratch I think.

As with all things I think you could skip some bells and whistles to get the quality and design while saving some $ unless $ is no object and you don't care.

Link Posted: 8/25/2009 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 8/25/2009 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have been of the opinion I'll get the cheap $100 grill over and over when they rust out.

After replacing some older worn parts (fast and easy) on my folks Weber gas grill I must say If you keep it covered/take it in for the winter then the Weber wins hands down.  Worth the extra scratch I think.

As with all things I think you could skip some bells and whistles to get the quality and design while saving some $ unless $ is no object and you don't care.

This is what I do, but since it is just the wife and I to cook for, I just get the cheap $10 tabletop charcoal ones on clearance in the fall.

I have 4 or so in the garage still in the box, just open one up at the start of the season, use it up, toss it at the end of the season and open up a new $10 one up and start over.

Link Posted: 8/25/2009 3:33:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Over the years I've gone from a gas grill to a charcoal grill to a gas, to a charcoal, to a gas, to a charcoal, etc...

I've loved the convenience of a gas grill, but also loved the flavor of charcoal.

In my book, charcoal wins, but if you HAVE to go with gas, Weber is the way to go.

Pay extra for quality, keep it clean, and don't leave it exposed to the weather.
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 3:37:41 PM EDT
[#10]
My Wife and I eat off the grill quite a bit, at least a couple of times a week. We really enjoy the convience of a gas grill.

Does anyone know what I have to do to convert the grill to operate off natural gas?
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My Wife and I eat off the grill quite a bit, at least a couple of times a week. We really enjoy the convience of a gas grill.

Does anyone know what I have to do to convert the grill to operate off natural gas?

I have seen conversion kits at Home Depot before.
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 3:47:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had my Weber silver genesis B  for about 10 years now.  I grill at least twice a week.  Works flawlessly.  The little igniter button still works even.
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#13]
meh, weber seems like a lot of money for a simple name.  My Dad buys $200 grills every 2-3 years instead of $400-500 webers every 2-3 years.  I've taken that lesson and done the same thing in my own use.  I have a $200 grill and it works just fine for me.  I don't think a Weber is going to make my meat taste better.
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 3:52:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Gas has its uses.  I have a $100 Kenmore grill that has lasted 10 years.  It's ugly, but it works.
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 3:53:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Here is the only grill you will ever need

Link Posted: 8/25/2009 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#17]
go cheeeep an go often ,i have had 20 + grill ,s over 30 yrs onlt good ones pissed me off
Link Posted: 8/25/2009 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#18]
yeah, I'm of the cheap variety for gas grills too. My current one is a $90 Fiesta double decker that lasted about 3-4 years and it's on it's last legs.  Got my money's worth. But charcoal is where it's at for me anyway and gas is just for when I'm really in a hurry and so the gas one hardly gets used.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 4:46:52 AM EDT
[#19]
I've owned several different brands, and I just bought my first Weber back in April. It is the best out of all of them as far as I'm concerned.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 4:49:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Webers are awesome for the money. As far as rusting out goes, sometime each year rub it down with some steel wool and then hit it up with a few coats of grill spraypaint. 2 hrs and $10 > buying new grills all the time.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 6:11:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Weber with a natural gas hook up. FWIW
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 6:22:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Can't be said enough … Weber.

My Weber Genesis Silver will be celebrating it's 10th Birthday next month … in that time, friends of mine have gone through 2 or 3 'Cheap' grills that never cooked well, had major flare-up issues and hot spots. My Weber still cooks as perfectly as it did the day I brought it home. I've probably spent less than $30 in maintaining it over the last 10 years … replaced the flavorizer bars once … I may replace the ignition soon, it's starting to get a little weak. But still, cooks good as day one.

Quoted:
meh, weber seems like a lot of money for a simple name.  My Dad buys $200 grills every 2-3 years instead of $400-500 webers every 2-3 years.

If you're that neglectful that you kill a Weber in 2-3 years, you don't deserve nice stuff.

I'm not the first to post in this thread that there $500 investment has lasted 10 + years … And of course the biggest difference is overall quality of use over that time … buy a cheap grill and neglect it, after half a season you've basically got a metal box that fills up with a grease fire that you can burn some food in a few spots … Weber you get perfect cooking all over the entire cooking surface pretty much for the life of the grill. Clean it out once a season, replace a few readily available parts every few years if needed.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 6:24:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Sears Kenmore Elite series.

Either way, look for cast iron cooking surface and burners.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 6:28:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
meh, weber seems like a lot of money for a simple name.  My Dad buys $200 grills every 2-3 years instead of $400-500 webers every 2-3 years.  I've taken that lesson and done the same thing in my own use.  I have a $200 grill and it works just fine for me.  I don't think a Weber is going to make my meat taste better.

If you're having to replace a Weber gas grill every two years, you're doing something horribly wrong. Do you store it in salt water or something? My brother has a Weber Genesis that is at least 10 years old, and he finally had to buy new grates last year. I bought a new Genesis S-310 myself this year.

Crappy cheap gas grills not only rust out almost immediately (burners especially), but they heat unevenly and the heat is very hard to control, if you can control it at all. Weber grills are better in a lot of ways, not just the name. Also, they are 100% made in the USA, replacement parts are widely available should you need them, and Weber stocks replacement parts for older grills. Your typical craptastic cheapo grill will suck to cook on by the end of your second summer, and by then the sweat shop in China it was made in will have converted to making lead filled childrens toys so they can't supply you with crappy replacement parts. Thus you are stuck buying a universal replacement burner that will last maybe a couple of months, or a whole new Chicom grill.

JMHO, YMMV, FBO.

Link Posted: 8/26/2009 6:29:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Methane (natural gas) has less internal energy than propane and is delivered at a lower pressure.  LPG grills need to have more resistance than NG as a result.

If you use NG on a LPG grill, it won't get hot enough.
If you use LPG on a NG grill, it will get way too hot.

The conversion kit is just a separate regulator and larger orifice burners.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 6:29:58 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a Sams club grill that needs new burners.... I would love to find some stainless steel ones instead of those old cast iron ones.... Using this grill as a smoker is rough on the burners.....
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 6:33:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Over the years I've gone from a gas grill to a charcoal grill to a gas, to a charcoal, to a gas, to a charcoal, etc...

I've loved the convenience of a gas grill, but also loved the flavor of charcoal.

In my book, charcoal wins, but if you HAVE to go with gas, Weber is the way to go.

Pay extra for quality, keep it clean, and don't leave it exposed to the weather.

I can do both with the same grilll...

I bought a Chargriller Grillin' Pro gas grill that has an optional side firebox for smoking.

This way, I get the convenience of gas when I want it, but still have the ability to slow-cook larger cuts of meat and get the delicious smoked flavor.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 6:43:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Look for heavy construction, cast iron cooking grates, and lots of cooking space.  I think mine's a Weber but I really don't get all hung up on name brands.  It had the features I wanted and the store was willing to haggle.  It could be a Char Broil, or a Boeing, or a Ford for all I know or care.

Doing a natural gas conversion is a good idea if you can swing it.  I hate running out of propane.  Oh, and the propane containers they sell in most locations these days are not full.  

Oh, and get an old-school Weber kettle for those times when you are in the mood to really eat and have the time to do the full ceremony.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 6:45:04 AM EDT
[#29]
anything stainless @ lowe's should do the trick, if you're stuck on gas grills.

i like my $120 charcoal "Char-Griller" the best of any grill i've ever used, mine's got 5 years on it and only minor surface rust and i live right on the salt water.  it's powdercoated from the factory and the removeable grates are heavy duty cast iron that will never rust out if maintained properly (kept oiled).   matchlight + 20 minutes is barely more work than a gas grill, and the taste of your food doesn't even compare.    

Link Posted: 8/26/2009 6:50:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Weber kettle

/thread
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 6:53:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
buy a $100 one every year as they all turn to shit i got a $600 pos going to the dump ,replacements parts not to spek cost alot and i am pissed

I'm betting your $600 grill that's going to the dump is a Jenn-Air or one of the several other brands that were contracted out to the same Chinese company for production. A few years ago, the big box stores were selling Jenn-Air "stainless" grills for $600 and up. Turns out they are made of grossly inferior stainless steel, those few parts that are actually made of stainless anyway, and they were made in China. 2 years later lots of people realize they bought a crappy grill, and then find out they can't buy replacement parts because the factory has ceased production of grills in favor of something else to make cheaper than we do.  Lots of people looked at the Weber grills side by side with the Jenn-Air grills and bought the Jenn-Air because it had more gizmos and features for the same price. Quality has nothing to do with gizmos and widgets.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 6:58:39 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Weber kettle

/thread

I think Old Smokey is better.

Link Posted: 8/26/2009 7:01:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I did this.  It takes 10-20 minutes and it is a very simple process.  I've been gas grilling for a year now and never had to fill a propane tank!
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 7:01:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/26/2009 7:01:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Well.......... you need to GET BOTH!!

I tend to be a bit of a BBQ/grill freak.

Weber is all i've ever owned. I do have a strong preference for charcoal or lump, but do own a propane grill for convenience. Also own the Weber Smoker/WSM, 22" kettle, and a small porable Smokey Joe. I do like the ability to get parts for ALL of their units.

RG
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 7:05:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Weber kettle

/thread

That Old Smokey deal is an interesting looking set up.......must resist!!

RG

Link Posted: 8/26/2009 7:05:59 AM EDT
[#37]
I have been running a Brinkmann Backyard Kitchen for 7 years now.  In that time, I have replaced one igniter and two sets of burners.  The grill stays outside and uncovered year round.  Hell, I use it year round.  Brinkmann, as long as it is not the cheaper units, are very decent grills.

Link Posted: 8/26/2009 7:06:05 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Weber kettle

/thread

Heh.. This was early 90's, i found an Old Smokey out by the street in front of someone's house, they trashed it. I took it and used it for another 3 years. Worked like a champ!

Link Posted: 8/26/2009 7:08:48 AM EDT
[#39]
DCS

It will be the last one you ever have to buy.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 7:08:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Weber Genesis Silver - $400, used heavily for 4 years, no problems.  Good, even heat, stainless where it counts.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 7:12:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Agreed, I've had my Kenmore Elite grill for 8 years here with no problems. My unit has cast-iron burners and grates, I break it down once a year and clean it really well to prevent major build-up and rusting. The only compliant I have is the drip tray isn't the best design in the world which makes periodic cleaning a pain, all in all it's not bad. Bang for the buck you can't beat it as a similar Weber will run you 40% more.

Link Posted: 8/26/2009 7:25:38 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm in the 8th year on a Weber Summit Gold, and the only problem I've had with it is the igniters finally burned through and quit working.  One call to Weber service and the free replacements were shipped to my home, and arrived the next day.

I'm done with cheap gas grills forever, I will most probably own a Weber grill the day I die.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 7:37:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Dad bought a $500 stainless gas grill from Lowe's.  He likes it and hasn't had any problems.

Uses ceramic coated grating and cooks via infrared heat.  Does a decent job, but I can regulate temperature better on my Big Green Egg.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 7:45:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Can't be said enough … Weber.

My Weber Genesis Silver will be celebrating it's 10th Birthday next month … in that time, friends of mine have gone through 2 or 3 'Cheap' grills that never cooked well, had major flare-up issues and hot spots. My Weber still cooks as perfectly as it did the day I brought it home. I've probably spent less than $30 in maintaining it over the last 10 years … replaced the flavorizer bars once … I may replace the ignition soon, it's starting to get a little weak. But still, cooks good as day one.

Quoted:
meh, weber seems like a lot of money for a simple name.  My Dad buys $200 grills every 2-3 years instead of $400-500 webers every 2-3 years.

If you're that neglectful that you kill a Weber in 2-3 years, you don't deserve nice stuff.

I'm not the first to post in this thread that there $500 investment has lasted 10 + years … And of course the biggest difference is overall quality of use over that time … buy a cheap grill and neglect it, after half a season you've basically got a metal box that fills up with a grease fire that you can burn some food in a few spots … Weber you get perfect cooking all over the entire cooking surface pretty much for the life of the grill. Clean it out once a season, replace a few readily available parts every few years if needed.

You clearly don't live in florida within 10 miles of the ocean.  Nothing survives the Florida weather.  Both my father's grill and my grill are kept under a grill cover, and under an overhang of the house.  Humidity in FL is near 100% year round... you'd have to keep a grill inside the house to keep it for more than 4 years...

Some people's mileage may vary, but I've taken my father's life lesson to heart and won't look back.  The day a weber makes my steak taste better than my cheaper grill is the day I will switch.  Til then, I'm good.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 7:54:16 AM EDT
[#45]
I surprised by all the guys that go cheap and often. I grew up watching my Dad do that and swore, "Not me."

Nothing like having a bunch of people on their way over and your grill dies on you....fuck that noise.

Bought my Weber Genesis Silver c when we bought our house....8 years ago. I leave it covered outside year round, Wash the outside with car soap every spring and fall. Wipe it down with Fantastic once in awhile....runs and looks like brand new.

The cast iron grates did rust out on me though (yes, I seasoned them properly) but, Weber sent me a new set for free....their customer service is second to none. Also had to replace the "flavorizer bars" last summer due to rust....$40-$50.

So, I'm into the grill for $550 over 8 years...."cheap and often " would put me at around $800 give or take. Plus, I NEVER have to worry about this thing kicking the bucket at a bad time.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 8:02:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I surprised by all the guys that go cheap and often. I grew up watching my Dad do that and swore, "Not me."

Nothing like having a bunch of people on their way over and your grill dies on you....fuck that noise.

Bought my Weber Genesis Silver c when we bought our house....8 years ago. I leave it covered outside year round, Wash the outside with car soap every spring and fall. Wipe it down with Fantastic once in awhile....runs and looks like brand new.

The cast iron grates did rust out on me though (yes, I seasoned them properly) but, Weber sent me a new set for free....their customer service is second to none. Also had to replace the "flavorizer bars" last summer due to rust....$40-$50.

So, I'm into the grill for $550 over 8 years...."cheap and often " would put me at around $800 give or take. Plus, I NEVER have to worry about this thing kicking the bucket at a bad time.

You assume that grills die all of a sudden...  The only "all of a sudden" thing is when you rely on a full tank that isn't full, or the ignitor stops working (use a match)...  I've never met someone who had "catastrophic, instantaneous grill death"   -   have you?
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 8:06:51 AM EDT
[#47]
What about a Traeger pellet grill? Anyone used one of these?
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 8:08:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 8:11:00 AM EDT
[#49]
FYI …

Weber's Product Warranty details

Basically any part with less than a 10 year warranty is a readily available replacement part that you can pick up at any dealer or order through their website.

Even the burner tubes are warrantied for 10 years, and if they need to be replaced beyond that time frame it's going to cost you less than $50.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 9:04:02 AM EDT
[#50]
I've just got a Weber "One Touch" charcoal grill currently, but have been thinking about getting something better for a while and one I've been eyeing is the Char-Griller Duo.

It's basically two separate grills, one gas and one charcoal on the same base:

I'm not exactly a grilling expert (yet), but was thinking that having both would make it more convenient to toss something quick on the gas side on weeknights when I have less time and use the charcoal side on the weekends.

I dunno if this particular grill would end up being the best of both worlds or just mediocre at both, but it's another option that's out there.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top