BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 9:07:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My Wife and I eat off the grill quite a bit, at least a couple of times a week. We really enjoy the convience of a gas grill.

Does anyone know what I have to do to convert the grill to operate off natural gas?

I have seen conversion kits at Home Depot before.

I saw one at Lowe's last week.

The GF and I bought her a Char-Broil. It was partially made of SS and was on sale for $200. I'll report back after I've used it a while - we couldn't see spending the $$ for a Weber no more than we use it.

Link Posted: 8/26/2009 9:09:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Weber 320 for me- side burner doesn't get used much but I grill 3 or 4 times a week, thing is a hogbeast.

I had another webber that I had for 7 years and gave it to my grandparents- thing cooked great and had no problems, needed new grill surface though- but the outside finish still looked new even.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 9:10:13 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a stainless steel Char-Broil gas grill that I paid a few hundred for and I LOVE it
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 9:25:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Anyone ever try ribs off a Traeger?  Hmmmmmmm.

http://www.pelletgriller.com/
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Anyone ever try ribs off a Traeger?  Hmmmmmmm.

http://www.pelletgriller.com/

Many of my family members have treagers, and they all love them.  They cook everything on them.  They are too expensive for my taste though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:04:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm very interested in the Traegers because I would like the taste of wood (Charcoal) with the ease of use of propane. I see no reason whatsoever to get a propane grill. Its the same damn fuel you use on a gas stove. Why would I want to cook on my stove only outside?

But charcoal is an invovled cooking process, and smoking vastly moreso. I want the best of both worlds....
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:06:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I am very happy with my weber grill. It been used 4 or 5 days a week year round (even when I have to clear a foot of snow off it) for the last 4 years without a single problem.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:10:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Just bought one of these new Char-Broil Infrared Gas Grill

Seems pretty sweet so far, cooks fast and is much easier to clean that most grills

Link Posted: 8/26/2009 3:24:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Jeez guys.

I have a charbroil grill.. one of those $120 jobs.. I bought that.. umm.. 5 years ago? Still going great and I don't even take care of it, no hot spots, no flame ups, NOTHING it's been awesome for me, It's got a couple more years left in it, and guess what, I'm going to buy another charbroil after this one.

Point in fact - My father likes it better than his Vermont Casting grill.. It may look like shit but it runs like a champ.

Link Posted: 8/26/2009 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I picked up a small char-broil unit off craigslist for 40 bucks. Its great for when I want a burger or some grilled chicken now.

Food off the pit is wayyy better though.BrisketRibsPork ShoulderSausage  

ETA: that shit takes significant time though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Weber.

Ours has lasted 15 years too which I just refurbished it back to new.  Make sure to get the three burner grill so that you can cook indirectly.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 6:30:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm very interested in the Traegers because I would like the taste of wood (Charcoal) with the ease of use of propane. I see no reason whatsoever to get a propane grill. Its the same damn fuel you use on a gas stove. Why would I want to cook on my stove only outside?

But charcoal is an invovled cooking process, and smoking vastly moreso. I want the best of both worlds....

Get a Big Green Egg.  Requires, at most, 10 minutes to get lump charcoal going.  Fill the firebox half full and you can cook on the same charcoal 6+ times...simply close the lid and the dampers when you're done.

Downside? cost.  The BGE cost is size dependent and the "nest" or legs aren't included in the price.  You will have to buy a platesetter for indirect cooking/smoking (they run $40-$70).  

But, you can bake bread/biscuits/deserts, grill anything and it's always moist, EASY temperature regulation for smoking (easier than using propane), and it'll make the best pizza you've ever eaten.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 6:34:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I see no reason whatsoever to get a propane grill. Its the same damn fuel you use on a gas stove. Why would I want to cook on my stove only outside?

If your indoor stove has a grill on it, then you have a point. Those stoves cost thousands of dollars though. You don't take a frying pan out to your gas grill, throw a few burgers in the pan, and then call that grilling.
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 6:37:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 7:00:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see no reason whatsoever to get a propane grill. Its the same damn fuel you use on a gas stove. Why would I want to cook on my stove only outside?

If your indoor stove has a grill on it, then you have a point. Those stoves cost thousands of dollars though. You don't take a frying pan out to your gas grill, throw a few burgers in the pan, and then call that grilling.

Also, if you have ever tried to make cast iron skillet steaks in the manner that is suggested in all of the steak threads on this site, you will realize that just throwing them on the grill instead doesn't result in your kitchen filling with the billowing clouds of smoke that are produced when a steak hits a 500 degree pan.

Link Posted: 8/27/2009 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#16]

As I clicked this thread I said, "There better be some grill pics."

And there it is.  This place rarely disappoints.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 9:45:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've just got a Weber "One Touch" charcoal grill currently, but have been thinking about getting something better for a while and one I've been eyeing is the Char-Griller Duo.

It's basically two separate grills, one gas and one charcoal on the same base:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/Ratdz/DUO4001.jpg

I'm not exactly a grilling expert (yet), but was thinking that having both would make it more convenient to toss something quick on the gas side on weeknights when I have less time and use the charcoal side on the weekends.

I dunno if this particular grill would end up being the best of both worlds or just mediocre at both, but it's another option that's out there.
i have the charcoal only version of this grill and it's top quality.

that thing looks bad ass!
Link Posted: 8/27/2009 11:43:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get a Big Green Egg.  Requires, at most, 10 minutes to get lump charcoal going.  Fill the firebox half full and you can cook on the same charcoal 6+ times...simply close the lid and the dampers when you're done.

Downside? cost.  The BGE cost is size dependent and the "nest" or legs aren't included in the price.  You will have to buy a platesetter for indirect cooking/smoking (they run $40-$70).  

But, you can bake bread/biscuits/deserts, grill anything and it's always moist, EASY temperature regulation for smoking (easier than using propane), and it'll make the best pizza you've ever eaten.

+1 on the cement/ceramic kettle type grills.  I don't have an Egg - I have a Kamado - but they can do everything from brisket slow cooked for 24 hours at 225 to a pizza at 750.  All that real charcoal flavor.

Link Posted: 8/28/2009 12:39:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, I just ordered a Traeger Texas. They figure it should be here end of next week.

I see steaks this weekend. Maybe ribs too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2009 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Well, I just ordered a Traeger Texas. They figure it should be here end of next week.

If you remember, can you update this thread with your opinion of it once you get it? I'm going to need a new grill in a few months and these look pretty sweet, but I'm worried about spending that much cash on something and having it end up as a gimmick.

Link Posted: 8/28/2009 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've just got a Weber "One Touch" charcoal grill currently, but have been thinking about getting something better for a while and one I've been eyeing is the Char-Griller Duo.

It's basically two separate grills, one gas and one charcoal on the same base:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/Ratdz/DUO4001.jpg

I'm not exactly a grilling expert (yet), but was thinking that having both would make it more convenient to toss something quick on the gas side on weeknights when I have less time and use the charcoal side on the weekends.

I dunno if this particular grill would end up being the best of both worlds or just mediocre at both, but it's another option that's out there.

GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE!!!!!

I've done just about EVERYTHING with mine. LOVE IT!!!!!

Only problem is I can't find a cover for it, so I use a tarp (it's over 7 1/2 ft. long)
Link Posted: 8/28/2009 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 1:29:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Sweet!  
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 3:41:50 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a Weber Silver Genesis, ceramic-coated cast iron grates.  seven years now. Works flawlessly, very predictable results, quick to start and use, even when it's -20F (the best time for a grilled stake).  BUT i confess that i preferred the flavor from my old little smoky joe. But i sure hate it when i forget to turn off the burners after cooking... burned up at least 40# of propane that way.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 5:23:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have a Weber Silver Genesis, ceramic-coated cast iron grates.  seven years now. Works flawlessly, very predictable results, quick to start and use, even when it's -20F (the best time for a grilled stake).  BUT i confess that i preferred the flavor from my old little smoky joe. But i sure hate it when i forget to turn off the burners after cooking... burned up at least 40# of propane that way.

Could be worse- you could have been running it off of the household natural gas...

Mike
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 5:31:47 AM EDT
[#26]
outdoor grill company made a kick ass grill. over 10 years old and still kicking.

Shame they went tits up in short order.
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 5:37:04 AM EDT
[#27]

If I'm going to spend a couple grand on a trailer pit, I'd look at a Gator Pit.
Gator Pits of Texas

Link Posted: 8/29/2009 5:37:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've had my Weber silver genesis B  for about 10 years now.  I grill at least twice a week.  Works flawlessly.  The little igniter button still works even.

This.

My Genesis Silver B's going on 10 years old as well.  
Last summer I replaced the original flavorizer bars with stainless ones.  
That's all I've done to it other than clean it.  

I don't cover it or bring it in in the winter.  It just sits out on the deck.  I grill in January....

If you decide to go with gas, definitely go with Weber.

Now, I'm seriously considering a smoker.  Any suggestions??
Link Posted: 8/29/2009 5:40:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

My folks have one. Works great - they did pork shoulder on it a week or two ago and it turned out fabulous.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:30:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Bumping this thread 'cause I'm looking at grills now too.  Seriously looking and the Char-Broil Red series which seems to give the Weber a good run for the money - but I'm not completely sold yet and Weber is still a top candidate.  I was surprised to find out though that Webers are also made in China.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:49:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Most of the time you probably dont need a big one if you're just cooking burgers and steaks. I got a WeberQ last year

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:02:47 PM EDT
[#32]
it took me a while but i'm coming around to really appreciating the weber brand.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#33]
WEBER GENESIS E-310. Best money you will EVER spend.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#34]
personally I prefer brunettes

Oh we're talking GRILLS.

Can we talk girls instead?

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:07:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Bumping this thread 'cause I'm looking at grills now too.  Seriously looking and the Char-Broil Red series which seems to give the Weber a good run for the money - but I'm not completely sold yet and Weber is still a top candidate.  I was surprised to find out though that Webers are also made in China.

My brand new Weber was made in the USA, as are both of my Weber kettle grills.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:13:09 PM EDT
[#36]
i have a forman grill since i cant have a open flame grill in my apt complex
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:17:47 PM EDT
[#37]

This is the one we have. I love it. Gas on one side charcoal on the other.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Just bought one of these new Char-Broil Infrared Gas Grill

Seems pretty sweet so far, cooks fast and is much easier to clean that most grills

http://www.charbroil.com/bps/char-broil/char-broil/product/images/1_1_463250308_large.jpg

+1
A VERY good friend gave me one of these as a housewarming present last year.  I'm no grilling expert, and this grill makes it nearly impossible to screw up.  The infrared (indirect) heating keeps everything moist.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've had my Weber silver genesis B  for about 10 years now.  I grill at least twice a week.  Works flawlessly.  The little igniter button still works even.

This.

My Genesis Silver B's going on 10 years old as well.  
Last summer I replaced the original flavorizer bars with stainless ones.  
That's all I've done to it other than clean it.  

I don't cover it or bring it in in the winter.  It just sits out on the deck.  I grill in January....

If you decide to go with gas, definitely go with Weber.

Now, I'm seriously considering a smoker.  Any suggestions??

Do some research into Cookshack.  I've got one that works pretty well but I haven't spent enough time with it to master it's use.  I'm more into grilling and have a Weber Spirit 310.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I thought too and I'm not going to argue with you since you're probably right - However - that's what the grill 'expert' at Home Depot told me yesterday.  He said that the Webers, although they say something about Indiana (or someplace here in the US) on the box, that they are actually made in China.  I was kind of surprised about this when he told me b/c I always thought that Webers were made in the US - and maybe some still are - I have no idea.  Maybe some of the parts are made in China?  I really don't know.  Maybe he was completely wrong or lying.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I thought too and I'm not going to argue with you since you're probably right - However - that's what the grill 'expert' at Home Depot told me yesterday.  He said that the Webers, although they say something about Indiana (or someplace here in the US) on the box, that they are actually made in China.  I was kind of surprised about this when he told me b/c I always thought that Webers were made in the US - and maybe some still are - I have no idea.  Maybe some of the parts are made in China?  I really don't know.  Maybe he was completely wrong or lying.

I bet he gets a bigger commission on another brand and is trying to steer you towards that instead of a Weber. It's possible some of their low end and portable gas grills (not sure about the Q series) are made oversees, but I know for sure their full sized gas grills and all of their charcoal grills are completely made in the US. There was even a segment about it on "How It's Made" on the Discovery Channel.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#42]
We have a weber silver genesis. 4 years old and not a sign of wear. Use it twice a week at a min.

I think it was around 1300.00 or so. It better last 15 years.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet he gets a bigger commission on another brand and is trying to steer you towards that instead of a Weber. It's possible some of their low end and portable gas grills (not sure about the Q series) are made oversees, but I know for sure their full sized gas grills and all of their charcoal grills are completely made in the US. There was even a segment about it on "How It's Made" on the Discovery Channel.

Like I said, this was just what one guy told me - and I come across lots of misinformation all the time in my day to day life, so i don't always trust what someone says just on it's face value.  As a matter of fact though, the one he was trying to steer me to was the Genesis S310 or 320 - and what he was telling me was that all the grills they sell were made in China (including the Webers).  Regardless, I'm sure you're right and where's it's made is not a deal breaker/maker for me anyway.

ETA:  Speaking of the Weber grills, does anyone know how the painted/colored finishes on the webers hold up compared to the stainless steel finishes.  I realize that SS looks really nice and all that but they colored models sell for around $200 less - not sure if it's just a 'demand' thing or if it's more about quality/durablility.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Weber Baby Q.  I bought mine back in 2003.  I use it 2 or 3 times a week at least.  Every winter I take it to the local car wash and steam it out.  I have cooked seafood, steak, burgers, hot dogs, veggies, corn on the cob, ribs.  Just about everything on it.  Best $120 I ever spent on a grill.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:28:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:30:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sweet!  

I have been using a Traeger for 9 years now.  You will be very happy.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:40:18 PM EDT
[#48]

Ok, so where does one find Vermont Castings grills?  I did a dealer search on their website and came up empty for my area (South Florida)

Secondly - This is a technical question, but since this thread is titled "Lets talk grills", I think it's appropriate here.  
My patio has a 12' ceiling.  Are there any particular safety issues using a gas/charcoal/other type grill under the ceiling of a patio?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:48:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Weber.

Bought a Silver B about 10 years ago and everything still works just fine.
Even the igniter still works.

Everyone else I know has been through at least 3 grills in the same 10 yrs.
Well worth the extra $$$

Just buy a cover made for the grill and you should be GTG!
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:51:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Did a little online research. The Weber "Spirit" line of grills is made in China. The Genesis and Summit lines as well as all of their kettle grills are made in Indiana. The only imported parts on those grills are unimportant things like the plastic knobs and the wheels. Still not sure on where the Q series is made.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top