Page / 2
Posted: 2/4/2002 5:49:58 PM EDT
[url]http://www.sltrib.com/2002/feb/02032002/utah/173201.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 6:02:41 PM EDT
[#1]
damn they found my shtf gun[:)]
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 6:14:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Someone buried that because they were afaid of bans going through....

or maybe it was Waxman.
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#3]
When I saw the story on TV, they called it a "sniper rifle".  If its finders-keepers, does that hunter get it when nobody claims it?  [:P]
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#4]
The good old evil .50 cal. [50]
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#5]
"The rifle, a high-powered weapon that can be used on targets, including vehicles, from more than a mile away, is being analyzed at the state Crime Lab."

[img]http://www.tcarms.com/mlrifles/hawken/hawkenclbig.jpg[/img]

Damned .50 cals.  Only made for one thing.... "killin', a long ways off".  Notice the double set sniper trigger.

Link Posted: 2/4/2002 8:00:25 PM EDT
[#6]
My bullshit detector is going off the scale on this report.

Miraculous discovery of an "arms cache" in the mountains.  In the sagebrush.  In the snow.[rolleyes]

It's not an AR.  It's not an AK. It's a recently maligned .50 cal, which some pols want to ban. It's within artillery range of some Olympic event.  Obviously a terrorist at work.  We must legislate![rolleyes]

Guy hauls a box home that is marked "explosives" without opening it.[rolleyes]

Oh, I forgot.  Guy moves the discovery from the scene.  Bet he had trouble showing where he found it.[rolleyes]

My predictions:

BATF will not be able to identify the purchaser "because the last owner sold it in a 'private party' sale".  

Feinslut will go announce at a news conference, "We must close this loophole."

Olympic Security officials will seek to enlist federal authorities in preemptive searches of vehilces and building, looking for firearms and explosives.

CCW or not, those caught with arms on major highways, in public venues, or within a few miles of Olympic sites, will have their guns seized and go through hell getting them back.

OK, if the future proves me wrong, you guys can flame my ass.[flame]
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#7]
prk, no tin foil hat needed on this one.  Those gun grabbers are rotten to the bone, and I wouldn't put it past 'em.  The timing on this is questionable.  [:O]
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#8]
[img]http://www.havenofrags.de/skammy/findig.jpg[/img]

[:O]
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 8:57:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I almost bust a nut when I saw that pic. [^]  
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 9:07:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/4/2002 11:00:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm sure you're right.  I hope so, because I know you'll rip one if we flame your ass.  [devil]
View Quote

You may have nothing to worry about, 'cause after I saw that picture, I just s**t myself bigtime, and while doubled up laughing, the keyboard put a bump on my forehead that you can read in the mirror:  "V""B""N""M".

Seriously, I laughed so long, my son came over to see if I was OK.

Skammy is the new photoshop King.  And quick, too.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 3:35:22 AM EDT
[#12]
According to the statement, officials have no information that would lead them to believe the rifle was "in any way related to the winter Olympic games.
View Quote

What?  Afraid some Olympian would be getting an unfair advantage by shooting the .50 in the biathlon?
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 3:38:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
[img]http://www.havenofrags.de/skammy/findig.jpg[/img]

[:O]
View Quote

Change that 82 to a 99.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 8:53:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My predictions:

BATF will not be able to identify the purchaser "because the last owner sold it in a 'private party' sale".  

Feinslut will go announce at a news conference, "We must close this loophole."

Olympic Security officials will seek to enlist federal authorities in preemptive searches of vehilces and building, looking for firearms and explosives.

CCW or not, those caught with arms on major highways, in public venues, or within a few miles of Olympic sites, will have their guns seized and go through hell getting them back.

View Quote

My thoughts also.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 8:59:14 AM EDT
[#15]
{cough cough}bullshiite{/cough cough}
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
{cough cough}bullshiite{/cough cough}
View Quote

yep
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Anyone know the specifics of the gun?  Manufacturer?  Did it have a scope on it?

This is such an obvious ploy by an anti-gun group or a prankster.  Pisses me off.  I wonder if they'll be able to trace the gun back to a purchaser.  That would be interesting.

Of course, it's relatively easy to identify a true sniper threat.  Their weapon of choice is a cheap imported Italian bolt rifle, which this appears not to be.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 10:20:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Out of all of use here how would turn in a 50. cal rifle with 300+ round's? I would[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Wait, let me get this straight:

"Powerful Gun Found Stashed In Vicinity of Olympic Venue"

"It is important to note that the rifle was not found near an Olympic venue"

Link Posted: 2/5/2002 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Anyone know the specifics of the gun?  Manufacturer?  Did it have a scope on it?
View Quote

I think I read on another board that it was a Maddi Griffin
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Out of all of use here how would turn in a 50. cal rifle with 300+ round's? I would[rolleyes]
View Quote

I'd run an add in the local paper's lost and found that said:

"Found Big Fifty with 300 hundred children."

If nobody claimed it in three weeks, I'd turn it in to my new rifle......

-SS
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 11:04:20 AM EDT
[#22]
the guy that turned it in is a fucking idiot!!

i would have been like hmm its got a serial number its not a NFA weapon' SCORE!!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#23]

The rifle, a high-powered weapon that can be used on targets, including vehicles, from more than a mile away, is being analyzed at the state Crime Lab........

Gov. Mike Leavitt told reporters Saturday he understood the weapon was "rusted and did not appear to be operable." .......

According to the statement, officials have no information that would lead them to believe the rifle was "in any way related to the winter Olympic games." The statement also said: "It is important to note that the rifle was not found near an Olympic venue."
   But a story in Saturday's Ogden Standard-Examiner reports a man hunting coyotes found the gun Jan. 26 about five miles from the Soldier Hollow Olympic Venue, in the hills above Wallsburg. ........

. The rifle, which is bolt-action operated, must be fired lying down and can be used to target vehicles at ranges of well over one mile, according to the report.
View Quote

They kept harping on the "one mile" even after it was noted that the gun was rusted and inoperable and the fact that it was FIVE miles away from the venue.  As always, the facts do not seem to have any effect on these anti-gun morons.

Link Posted: 2/5/2002 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#24]
It was probably stolen. The doofuses that snagged it didn't know how to operate it and left it.

Probably one of the Maadi-Griffen kits. No serial numbers.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Another reason to live in Utah!  You guys just find guns in the woods.  How cool is that?
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 4:21:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I wish!
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 4:33:07 PM EDT
[#27]
So, let me think about this for a minute....

The alleged rifle appeared 'rusted and inoperable', yet was stored in a 'weatherproof, military box'.

Hmmmmm.........
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 4:53:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Story which appeared a few days later in the same paper ([url=http://www.sltrib.com/02052002/utah/173710.htm]Salt Lake Tribune[/url]):

[i]A .50-caliber sniper rifle found by a hunter in the mountains of Wasatch County was [b]more than 20 miles away[/b] from the Olympic cross country skiing venue, police said Monday.

Earlier media reports [/i]([b]including one of our own, although we won't admit it![/b])[i] had said the rifle, which can pierce armor and be used on targets more than a mile away, was found Jan. 26 stashed in a metal box some five miles away from the Soldier Hollow venue.

But Wasatch County Sheriff Michael Spanos said Monday the hunter discovered the rifle approximately eight miles into Main Canyon, located just east of Wallsburg. The town is located about 18 miles away from Heber City, and the venue is located on the west side of Heber City, he said.

[b]The rifle was not rusted[/b], Spanos said. Investigators at the Utah state crime lab are analyzing the weapon to see if is functioning, looking for fingerprints, and working to trace its serial number, Spanos said.

Sgt. Doug McCleve of the Department of Public Safety said investigators have not discovered any information to indicate the weapon is related in any way to the Olympics.

The hunter discovered the weapon inside a box labeled "explosives." Inside with the rifle were 386 rounds of .50-caliber ammunition.[/i]

5 miles, 20+ miles...rusted, not rusted — You say "toe-may-toe", I say "tow-motto"... Hey, what's the big deal over a few minor details? We're the media, after all — we make most of it up anyway!
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 5:42:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I heard a rumor that the rifle belonged to Dan Fong.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 5:55:44 PM EDT
[#30]
we all know this is a anti gunners wet dream.

i heard it was a "single shot bolt action" no maddi, no semi auto. it still wreaks of a setup.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

?? I suppose we should know who that is, but I don't.  Only guess I could make is some guy they were trying to bust and he wound up high tailing it into the desert or hills back there somewhere.

WTF?
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 10:13:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Can't anyone find a pic of this thing?!

Gee, the details of the 'story' are changing as fast as a woman tring to decide which pair of shoes to buy.  No offence ladies........

Sounds too off the wall....... something printed in the Equirer or what.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 5:29:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

?? I suppose we should know who that is, but I don't.  Only guess I could make is some guy they were trying to bust and he wound up high tailing it into the desert or hills back there somewhere.

WTF?
View Quote

Dan Fong is a character from "Unintended Consequences" who laid the smack down with a .50 rifle.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 5:43:34 AM EDT
[#34]
I took a quick glance up when the news was on about this...
I could have sworn the one they showed was a bull-pup version ... with a brake...
I can't find any pics of it ... but if I do .. I will at least link to them...

Ted...
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 5:46:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 5:48:45 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

....Sorry, Dan Fong is from Idaho.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 6:30:20 AM EDT
[#37]
I could have sworn the one they showed was a bull-pup version ... with a brake...
View Quote

Is this it:

[img]http://www.maadi-griffin.com/model92.jpg[/img]

It's the maadi-griffin model 92.  This obviously ain't no "sniper" rifle.  .50 cal plinker maybe.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 7:33:44 AM EDT
[#38]
I can't find any pics.  phonegunner, which channel was that on?  I guess I ought to watch the local news once in a while.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 8:29:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

WTF?
View Quote

Dan Fong is a character from "Unintended Consequences" who laid the smack down with a .50 rifle.
View Quote

Isn't Dan Fong from Patriots: Surviving the upcoming collapse?
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 8:35:57 AM EDT
[#40]
[img]www.birdman.org/images/jaded2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#41]
I heard the ATF raided somebody that was fitting Canada Dry Ginger Ale brakes to their JADED-50 kits.  Seems they ruled that the Canada Dry brakes were imported and therefore illegal.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
"The rifle, a high-powered weapon that can be used on targets, including vehicles, from more than a mile away, is being analyzed at the state Crime Lab."

[img]http://www.tcarms.com/mlrifles/hawken/hawkenclbig.jpg[/img]

Damned .50 cals.  Only made for one thing.... "killin', a long ways off".  Notice the double set sniper trigger.

View Quote

Where's the bi-pod for that thing?
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 12:23:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Hmmm.  A JADED-50 fitted with a bayonet and the anti-gun lobby's penchant for gross exaggeration... Before long they'll be claiming you can stick someone with this gun at distances of over a mile. [:D]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 1:37:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Since I live in Utah, I see a window of opportunity wide open for me.  I'm going to go out behind the house and poke around in the weeds.  Then I will come into the house with a heavy military box that was hidden out back.  "Honey, look what I found in the weeds out back!"  "Hey, it looks just like a brand new 50 caliber sniper rifle."  "Funny I didn't see it out there before."  "I might as well give it a good home."  Do you think my wife will fall for that?  Yeah, right.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 1:49:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I heard the ATF raided somebody that was fitting Canada Dry Ginger Ale brakes to their JADED-50 kits.  Seems they ruled that the Canada Dry brakes were imported and therefore illegal.
View Quote

Damn regulations.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 2:25:51 PM EDT
[#46]
WOW! Idaho grows potatoes, Utah grows .50cal rifles. Must be the iron content in the soil.
I know where I'm moving to.
Maybe I'll try to grow some myself.
Anyone know where I can buy seeds online?
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 8:32:00 PM EDT
[#47]
this has got to be the biggest pile of bullsh*t I have ever heard.
I have been hiking all over those parts and elk hunting too.
Hunter stumbled on it my big fat lily white irish ass.
Hunting season is closed for everything. Period. Has been for a couple of months.
The snow up there is kinda deep.
So the hunter should have been fined for poaching or hunting out of season.
Who the hell leaves a 50cal in the snow in a public hunting and recreation area with 400rds of ammo?
any takers?
the BATF, that is who
or maybe not
either way if it walks like sh*t and talks like sh*t, it must be sh*t.
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 9:20:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Awe C'mon guys, Rosie O' was up there on a nature hike and tripped over a box (OD MilSpec), labeled "EXPLOSIVES" and drug it thru the 10 foot deep snow to a safe place to see what it might contain. Lo & behold, a long range, sniper, CCW revolvo-pistolauto-chaos causin'-snipen-Taliban-AL-Queda-goat pistol, was inside.MUST BE TERRORIST!! BAN ALL GUNS! Does anyone have Geraldo's satalite phone #??[50][chainsaw]
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Why does everyone else always find the good stuff.  The only cool thing that I've ever found was $7 but thats when I was like 10!
Link Posted: 2/6/2002 9:36:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Nobody just leaves this kind of firearm up in the mountains. I can just see it....

"I cant believe it guys, I forgot my .50 up in the mountains after shooting today!"  "Should we go get it?"  "Nah, thats alright."  "Its just the .50"

This stinks to high heaven.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top