Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2002 7:06:29 PM EDT
A new military base at the foot of the Tan-Shan Range? I know that American soldiers will love Almaty. (Alma-Ata) Its one of the most beautiful cities in the world, not to mention that the local population is 70% female! It is impossible for the war hawks to believe, but the Russians have a deep admiration for Americans. Its starting to become apparant in the smaller states. Uzbekistan has also made a huge commitment to us, and these countries are worthy of our friendship. When times are tough you find your true friends in the shit with you. Lets not forget them.

http://english.pravda.ru/main/2002/01/30/26101.html
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:41:07 PM EDT
[#1]
And even though it is one of their best customers, esp. for all manner of military stuff, China is the common link here. China, if is not now already our enemy, will be our enemy, and theirs, too. In short, the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

And let's not forget the Islamic revolutions, just bubbling under, sometimes boiling over, south of their borders.....

The 21st century is going to be a very dangerous century, and the Russians and their former Central Asian republics know it. They need all the help they can get, lest they be forced to become vassal states of the Chinese or others in the area.

One more thing just occurred to me: it will be a uh... challenge to supply our bases in these places. Landlocked republics and their (our!) security will be dependent on the decrepit, vulnerable Russian railway system for supply, either from Europe or from Vladivostok. I can think of better logistical situations....

"Those who cling to the untrue doctrine that 'violence never settles anything' would be advised to conjure up the ghosts of Napoleon Bonaparte and of the Duke of Wellington and let them debate it.  The ghost of Hitler could referee, and the jury might well be the Dodo, the Great Auk, and the Passenger Pigeon.  Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst.  Nations and peoples who forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."
-ROBERT A.HEINLEIN
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 8:51:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top