Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/15/2009 7:29:55 PM EDT
(edit: just picked up some hatch, mira sol, dynamite, and anaheim chillies. pics from the new chillies at the end of OP and in new post)

Well I picked up about 15-20 lbs of Pueblo and some other kind of green chillis today from a stand on the side of the road, as I usually do. Never got them from this guy before though.

I asked him for the hottest ones he had. These are definitely not even close to the hottest ones I've gotten, but damn if they ain't tasty!

I usually bag them up into 1-2 lb bags for freezing. I don't usually peel them before freezing, just do a bag at a time when I need them. I did one bag without peeling, then decided, eh, what the hey, lets do half.

I've got beers, after all.

All together took me about an hour.

Took the plastic ba out of the burlap sack.

First plate peeled

Second plate peeled, now i decided it would be stupid only to do half. Well, time for another beer....

Third and final plate. Took about 45 minutes and three beers to get to this point.

Fingers are all pruney like I've been in a bath (bath? what's that?) for an hour.

All bagged up, rooking dericious.

And as a treat to myself, I saved the biggest one and the reddest one (surprised to see that there were only three red ones in the whole batch) to make chicken salad sammiches even more awesome.

NEW EDIT:

Link Posted: 8/15/2009 7:30:39 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 8/15/2009 7:31:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I visited my brother in New Mexico and I've had my fill of green chilis; they put them on everything. They burn coming out too.
Link Posted: 8/15/2009 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Anaheim peppers are my favorite.  Good to make chili with, cut 'em up, clean out the seeds, roast them and then into the pot they go!

I need to make chili tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/15/2009 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#4]
New Mexico Greens are food for the gods.

And hell yes, they're good on everything.
Link Posted: 8/15/2009 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Can only get them canned here.

The brand I use is roasted first and then peeled.

I use them in Zhukov's enchilada recipe.
Link Posted: 8/15/2009 7:45:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

/thread

Link Posted: 8/15/2009 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

/thread

I've had quite a lot of NM chillies thanks to my friends in Albuquerque. Very very tasy. I honestly can't say that they're better than a lot of ones I've gotten from local CO growers. But no complaints ever on Albuquerque chillies either.
As for "good on everything" that is an UNDERSTATEMENT. I'll eat those mofos in my cereal.
Link Posted: 8/15/2009 7:56:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Ever batter them up and fry them?

I bet that would be good.
Link Posted: 8/15/2009 7:58:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Stuffed with cheese...

Hey, we could call it a "relleno!"
I bet we'd sell tons!

Link Posted: 8/15/2009 8:00:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Everything is good fried. From twinkies to frog legs.
Link Posted: 8/15/2009 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Hatch chilies FTW  Mmmmmmmmmmmmm
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stuffed with cheese...

I bet we'd sell tons!

Good idea...that sounds great. Except for the name....what a stupid name....
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I visited my brother in New Mexico and I've had my fill of green chilis; they put them on everything. They burn coming out too.

A couple of years ago, my local Whole Foods had some hatch chili cheesecake gelato.
I tried some... it was... interesting... cool, creamy cheesecake flavored gelato, but with some heat that kicked in in the back of your throat after you ate it.

My coworkers from New Mexico that were always talking smack about how great hatch chilis are were too chicken to taste the gelato.

Link Posted: 8/16/2009 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

/thread

I've had quite a lot of NM chillies thanks to my friends in Albuquerque. Very very tasy. I honestly can't say that they're better than a lot of ones I've gotten from local CO growers. But no complaints ever on Albuquerque chillies either.
As for "good on everything" that is an UNDERSTATEMENT. I'll eat those mofos in my cereal.

ROFL.

My dad was in the New Mexico area on his harley a few years back, and got really tired of having GREEN FUCKING CHILIS ON EVERY FUCKING DISH.

He swore they served pancakes with green chilis.

I guess he wasn't lying
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stuffed with cheese...

I bet we'd sell tons!

Good idea...that sounds great. Except for the name....what a stupid name....

True, we need to come up with something better...stuffed green peppers?  Ah, no I think that is taken.  Oh well let me know what is decided.  

Link Posted: 8/16/2009 3:40:30 PM EDT
[#16]
The smell of fresh green chiles roasting is wonderful.  

Try slapping a whole roasted and peeled chile atop a good cheeseburger.  Yum.  

Make a pot of green chile with pork, of course!

Chile rellenos!

Try using green chiles instead of jalapenos on nachos.  Good stuff.

LOL True about chiles on everything in NM... they put chile con queso (chile in cheese sauce for you yankees) on chicken fried steak down there, instead of cream gravy.  It's actually quite good.  

This is a special time of year in Colorado––the green chiles are coming in, the Palisade peaches, Olathe sweet corn, and Rocky Ford cantaloupes are rolling in too.  Mmmmmmmmmmm!  
Link Posted: 8/16/2009 5:11:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The smell of fresh green chiles roasting is wonderful.  

Try slapping a whole roasted and peeled chile atop a good cheeseburger.  Yum.  

Make a pot of green chile with pork, of course!

Chile rellenos!

Try using green chiles instead of jalapenos on nachos.  Good stuff.

LOL True about chiles on everything in NM... they put chile con queso (chile in cheese sauce for you yankees) on chicken fried steak down there, instead of cream gravy.  It's actually quite good.  

This is a special time of year in Colorado––the green chiles are coming in, the Palisade peaches, Olathe sweet corn, and Rocky Ford cantaloupes are rolling in too.  Mmmmmmmmmmm!  

Chillies BELONG on everything though. I'm not grasping the problem.
And those palisade peaches are so good....holy mackerel. We go through a few cases in as many days.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 8:27:14 AM EDT
[#18]

We're about to take our vacation to our "other" place. That includes a trip to the Espanola, NM Wal-Mart for a box of " Young Guns" Brand from Hatch. I wish I could put up the .jpg of the box design.  The price almost doubles for anything in CO at the street stands. Last yr, 18-22   a bushel. Bet they cost more this yr.  We ice them down and roast at home. Usually 10 bucks at one of the street vendors in Denver.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 8:29:49 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

/thread

+1

Link Posted: 8/17/2009 8:30:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 8:36:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Who DOESN'T like green chilies?

HH
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 9:11:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Razor...freeze'em with the peel on, then peel them when you thaw and use them. Saves the anguish of marathon peeling sessions.

Trust me, I'm a lifer.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 9:26:15 AM EDT
[#23]
my ulcer just puckered up looking at those...
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 9:29:17 AM EDT
[#24]
I have 3 rows of them in my garden.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 9:49:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Why do you peel them?
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#26]
I have a bunch of verious kinds of peppers laying around.  This thread inspiried me to go roast them in the oven and maybe Ill have some enchiladas later!
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Razor...freeze'em with the peel on, then peel them when you thaw and use them. Saves the anguish of marathon peeling sessions.

Trust me, I'm a lifer.

Well as I said that is how I usually do it. But if you do it when they're still hot I've found a lot of times they peel much easier. I was shuckin those things pretty darn fast. And now, every time I grab a bag from the freezer, soon as it's thawed they're ready to eat.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 10:40:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 11:03:24 AM EDT
[#29]
LOOKS GOOD !!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#30]
I hate you!

I'm about 5000 miles from anything resembling a green chili!

Link Posted: 8/17/2009 11:40:57 AM EDT
[#31]
I love Green Chile.  I eat Hatch Green Chile with just about everything.  I am from New Mexico of course.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 12:32:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Oh Hell, I'm blowing post 223, but I see you peeled 'em bare-handed- DON"T pick at yer Arse for a couple days, and ABSOLUTELY NO FAPPING!!
And that chicken Sammich sure looks good!
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 1:02:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Wife's family is from NM and they always get potatoe sacks full of them and have roasting peeling day.  They used to make a run back home to NM to get them, but nowadays the farmers fill a semitruck full of them and make the run to California....so much easier as they will roast them in these huge drums with propane while you wait.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 1:10:03 PM EDT
[#34]
I had a pile like this out of my garden.  Cleaned them and put them in the freezer bags.  Washed off the hands and went in to go to the bathroom.  BUUURRNNN.  
Make sure you wash all the heat off your hands.  Now I use salt on my hands.  Gets rid of the oils/heat.  Sure taste good roasted.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 1:11:51 PM EDT
[#35]

Link Posted: 8/17/2009 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Mmm... a little salt and some good tequila would make a sweet bedtime story.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 1:58:30 PM EDT
[#37]

http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Peppers-Posters_i1521638_.htm

Had to do it....
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 2:04:10 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why do you peel them?

Their skin is very tough and pretty much inedible - which is true of a lot of peppers. Those that are should be roasted and skinned.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/17/2009 2:06:40 PM EDT
[#39]
I spent a year in Santa Fe.  While driving around, you'd catch the smell of someone in a parking lot with a turning cage full of green chilies roasting.  I'd stop and get a bag for only a couple of dollars-  get home- get the grill going- tequila- mexi-beer- I still miss that.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Looks very tasty.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Just made a quick dinner for my brother and me.
Something along the lines of a mexican BLT but I wish I'd had tomatoes. Wuteva, it was awesome as it was.
Pretty simple, some little delicious rolls I had topped with cheddar, fresh green chillies, fresh garlic, broil for couple minutes, top with bacon, broil for a few more, add home made chipotle sauce, crack beer, enjoy.
Took like....15 minutes maybe. To make. About 2 minutes to inhale. Oh I almost forgot I sliced some fresh jalapenos too for fun.

Link Posted: 8/17/2009 4:10:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

/thread

+1

Link Posted: 8/17/2009 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Looks tasty.....
What the hell si you avatar eating?
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 4:26:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Something along the lines of a mexican BLT but I wish I'd had tomatoes. Wuteva, it was awesome as it was.
Pretty simple, some little delicious rolls I had topped with cheddar, fresh green chillies, fresh garlic, broil for couple minutes, top with bacon, broil for a few more, add home made chipotle sauce, crack beer, enjoy.
Took like....15 minutes maybe. To make. About 2 minutes to inhale. Oh I almost forgot I sliced some fresh jalapenos too for fun.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o266/razor11056/Photo0400.jpg
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o266/razor11056/Photo0401.jpg
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o266/razor11056/Photo0402.jpg
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o266/razor11056/Photo0403.jpg
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o266/razor11056/Photo0404.jpg
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o266/razor11056/Photo0405.jpg

10+1=
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Green chile is awesome!. I love the look the waitress gives someone after she asks if they want red or green, and the customer says neither.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 6:41:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Yep, I really loved green chile cheeseburgers when I lived in NM.

Horseman's Haven FTW
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 6:45:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

10+1=

Oh and I forgot about dessert....now finished. Sorry bout the crappy pic but believe me they were awesome. This is after I threw them all into a tupperware. I was too full to think of it when they were on a plate still.

Link Posted: 8/17/2009 6:48:32 PM EDT
[#48]
When you buy them are the roasted already and you're just peeling the skin off? Is that all the crud on the first pic (charring from the roasting?)
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#49]
i absolutely love green chile

the state question as most of you NMers know - red or green?

they are coming in right about now - need to get out to Albuquerque or Santa Fe

the Hatch, NM chile is the best

they have a website and will ship anywhere in the US
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 6:57:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
When you buy them are the roasted already and you're just peeling the skin off? Is that all the crud on the first pic (charring from the roasting?)

Yeah these ones were already roasted. I'll roast them myself just as often as not but this works too.
And yeah, that would be the crud.

As for red or green....me personally I'll say green. Red is tasty too and I never complain about either.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top