Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2002 5:55:07 AM EDT
DADS BANNED FROM GAMES AFTER HOCKEY BRAWL
Three Adults Were Issued Citations
Posted: 1:09 p.m. MST January 30, 2002

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Two men, one of them an Aurora police officer, have been banned from youth hockey games at an Arapahoe County ice rink after a weekend brawl by about 30 parents.

Aurora police Lt. Michael Thode, 48, and Daniel Madden, 40, are banned from watching the games the rest of the season, which could last until March.

Thode, Madden and Diane and David Harper were issued citations for misdemeanor disorderly conduct for their alleged involvement in a shoving match Jan. 27 during a Colorado Competitive Youth Hockey League Game.

Angelo Ricci, director of the Arapahoe County hockey program, said he will decide next week whether to forbid the Harpers from attending future Arapahoe County games.

Thode couldn't be reached for comment Tuesday.

Madden, who played youth hockey in the 1970s, said he was hurt by his banishment.

"I'm living vicariously through my son because he's taking this further than I ever did," Madden said. "I don't want this season to end."

The same two teams are scheduled to play again Sunday. League officials planned to meet Wednesday to decide whether to postpone the game.

Sheriff's investigators said the fight broke out in the middle of a rough game between the teams of 15- to 17-year-old boys. There were 19 penalties and three ejections.

The fight began in the third period after the Harpers said they went to check on their son, Matt, after he was slashed so hard by Madden's son, Cory, that the younger Madden's stick broke.

Matt Harper will be sidelined for the rest of the year. Cory Madden was ejected from the game, and was suspended from the team. He can play next season.

Aurora police spokeswoman Kathleen Walsh said Thode remained on duty Tuesday because the charge in the hockey melee is a misdemeanor. The department will start an internal investigation after the sheriff's investigation is finished, she said.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:01:09 AM EDT
[#1]
This is truly a sad moment.  My buddy USED to be a referee on Little League baseball, he had to quit because of the parents of all things.  Those are the folks who make a big scene when it doesn't go their way. He says that the children are truly angels.
My personal feeling is that many adults should take a class in parenting and undergo a background check to be parents.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top