Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2002 12:42:07 AM EDT
From Ha'aretz of today:
[b]  
Wednesday, January 30, 2002 Shvat 17, 5762 Israel Time: 11:25 (GMT+2)  

[size=3]Legal targets[/size=3]

By Amira Hass[/b]

[url]http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/pages/ShArt.jhtml?itemNo=123465&contrassID=2&subContrassID=4&sbSubContrassID=0&listSrc=Y&itemNo=123465[/url]

There's something rotten in Denmark...
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 1:03:21 AM EDT
[#1]
If the suicide bombing stopped, I would guess you wouldn't hear so much about IDF soldiers shooting arab civilians.

Israelis must be going insane from the constant threat of suicide bombers.  The stress is going to set some less stable people off.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 4:16:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If the suicide bombing stopped, I would guess you wouldn't hear so much about IDF soldiers shooting arab civilians.

Israelis must be going insane from the constant threat of suicide bombers.  The stress is going to set some less stable people off.
View Quote

Quite possibly the WORST example of rationalization I have ever heard.

EVER.

"Well, officer, if he hadn't taken my parking space, I wouldn't have shot and killed him."

OK, that one's the worst I ever heard.

[rolleyes]

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 4:27:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Sheesh - even this Israeli article disagrees with the policy. And I say hats off to them.

(Paolo correct me if I'm missing something here. I'm NOT familiar with all the background info.)

Raven be ravin'.  [:D]

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 5:09:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Nits make lice
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:45:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sheesh - even this Israeli article disagrees with the policy. And I say hats off to them.

(Paolo correct me if I'm missing something here. I'm NOT familiar with all the background info.)

Raven be ravin'.  [:D]

View Quote

Bettach. This is a "leftist" Israeli journalist that realy thinks free.

There is a way to disagree with Israeli govt. without being antisemite. I will whip the ass of anyone that doubts of the legitimity of Israel existence. But I will agree with anyone if I will find common points against Israeli govt. policies. Rules of engagements are one of them.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:01:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Bettach. This is a "leftist" Israeli journalist that realy thinks free.

There is a way to disagree with Israeli govt. without being antisemite. I will whip the ass of anyone that doubts of the legitimity of Israel existence. But I will agree with anyone if I will find common points against Israeli govt. policies. Rules of engagements are one of them.
View Quote

I have NO PROBLEM with Israelis shootin' Arab militants. Its one less Arab militant American boys have to risk their lives defending America (or even Israel for that matter) from.

But to kill non-combatant children at 150 yds. is just wrong. And i won't even suggest it was an Israeli policy to do that. Likely it was an individual soldier just "having (some twisted sort of) fun."

However, the Israeli gov't pretty much now MUST deal severly with him. We'll see.

Besides, shooting children is POOR FORM strategically. It only inflames your enemy. Arabs who might have been fence sitters previously, now are sworn to kill all Jews. Good plan, Lieutenant Yitzak.

That's my deal.

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:10:58 AM EDT
[#7]
It sounds more like an unofficial ROE than a policy.

One officer there told soldiers doing guard duty in the lookout posts: `If things are too quiet or if you don't feel certain about the situation, just let off a few rounds.' Shots were fired every night. We would start shooting and they would fire back."
View Quote

I hope they can square it away (courts martial, ironclad ROE, etc.) fast, because the Israelis need to be able to show the world clean hands.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:14:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Stupid question du jour -

What's "ROE?"

I;ve seen the term used a few times.

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:28:54 AM EDT
[#9]
ROE = Rules of Engagement

My guess anyway [:)]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:32:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Stupid question du jour -

What's "ROE?"

I;ve seen the term used a few times.

View Quote

Rules Of Engagement
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:33:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Like I said, it WAS a stupid question.

[BD]

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:40:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

There is a way to disagree with Israeli govt. without being antisemite.
View Quote

Paolo !!!   Will you please inform the only out-of-the-closet 'HUN' known to frequent this forum ???
(He's a little hard of hearing from so much 'dozer' work so speak LOUDLY so he can hear.)

PLEASE  -   PLEASE
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 7:48:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I will whip the ass of anyone that doubts of the legitimacy of Israel existence.
View Quote

I will modestly edit to read:

"I will whip the ass of anyone that doubts the Israeli right to exist as a free nation."

(Finally a place to simply state my position without the usual name-calling and emotion.)

(I've purposely removed the word "legitimacy" as that's simply another word to possibly argue over.)

[X]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#14]
So, it seems that there are problems for spme Israeli soldiers to apply the ROEs that their headquarters gave them.

Amira Hass is a journalist that speaks English and Arab, beside Hebrew. She is an expert of the Palestinian culture and problems, and well placed in her "privileged" observatory to remark when Israeli gvt. is not acting fairly toward Arab minorities or Palestinans.

She's not one of them that justify in any way the terrorism. Her bigger complaint to her govt. is that there is another way to deal with the Palestinian problem, but the actual govt. just don't want to hear.

I say the actual govt., and it seems that three Israelis out of four, in a recent opinion poll, don't agree with Sharon policy and wouldn't vote again for him.

I showed you what I wanted: Israel is not clean from error, but it's society, it's own media shows signs of insight, asking, demanding moral force, seeking for responsabilities.

Now... I want to ask how many Arab newpapers or media did you see making the same job on their own govt. and social reality?
Siria? Saudi Arabia? Iraq? Iran? Which one?

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Now... I want to ask how many Arab newpapers or media did you see making the same job on their own govt. and social reality?
Siria? Saudi Arabia? Iraq? Iran? Which one?

View Quote

Well stated.

I'll concede that MANY withing Arab gov'ts are more than pleased for their people to be ill informed on a whole BUNCH of things, the end result the palestinians people carrying out terrorist missions, which cost the gov't NO $$$$, and allow the hard core palestinians to claim innocence.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top